NITRO for Sale . Yes a REAL Nitro .

Started by Rob Blessin Black Hole, June 12, 2019, 03:56:42 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob Blessin Black Hole

Hello NeXT Community: I've been asked to broker a NeXT Nitro from the engineer that designed them at NeXT cool stuff , I'll receive a small commission . If you are interested you can PM me or email bhi1@ix.netcom.com to proceed with an offer, serious inquiries only. There are other serious buyers and I think he will accept the highest bid by the end of the month.  This is a rare opportunity to own one of NeXT's rarest gems 68040 40Mhz Daughter Card of which only a ~ dozen prototypes were manufactured and never released. I've seen the go for  ~ $7k in the past and last one on the market was at least 3 years ago. Best regards Rob Blessin
Rob Blessin President computerpowwow ebay  sales@blackholeinc.com http://www.blackholeinc.com
303-741-9998 Serving the NeXT Community  since 2/9/93

rumbeard

That's a lot of moolah for 7Mhz additional and possible prototype bugs not ironed out :-).

Rob Blessin Black Hole

My offer of 3k was shot down in flames and I know that is a lot of moolah for me. I can only dream like most of us to own a Nitro . However It is the coolness factor of filling in that slot like in any collectable endeavor : numismatics comes to mind .... sometimes the slightest variance causes value to sky rocket especially actual production numbers. What makes this one really cool is it is from the engineer that designed them. The Nitro to NeXT enthusiast's has always been somewhat of a holy grail of unobtaneum .
Rob Blessin President computerpowwow ebay  sales@blackholeinc.com http://www.blackholeinc.com
303-741-9998 Serving the NeXT Community  since 2/9/93

rumbeard

Yeah, a Pyro is more practical as it was a released product and faster than the Nitro... which got me thinking about a few ideas.  You said some of us were looking at new upgrade hardware similar to that as a design of our own.  I'm wondering how easy it might be to go the route of:

A. An upgrade board with the fastest low power x86 practical where you put the original processor on the daughter card similar to Apple's official PowerPC upgrade boards for 68K Macs and the requirement is you need to install a FAT install of NEXTSTEP or OPENSTEP,
B. An upgrade board with a PowerPC G3 or G4 and a Rhapsody Kernel patch.  (this one probably wouldn't work because you'd lose pretty much all userland due to non-FAT apps)
C. B or A with an onboard silicon 68K emulator emulating a mythical never released multi-Ghz 68K which takes the instructions and translates on the fly for the modern processor to handle and pass back.  The limitation is how fast you can feed and drain the motherboard socket with the existing bus speeds.
D. a station/cube system on a chip design with breakouts to match the original cases.
E. Obligatory geek joke... Imagine a Beowulf cluster of D.  (though on a more serious note D is hardware virtualization, could you have effectively a huge # of virtual cubes on a single NeXTbus board and then shove 3 slaves and a master in the backplane)  Cube of Cubes?  You could write some pipelining apps that could take data feeds off to the other boards with the main board having a hardware port breakout as if it was a cube with an integrated dimension as the master system.

rumbeard