NEXTSPACE - NeXTSTEP-like desktop environment for Linux

Started by stoyan255, June 14, 2019, 02:41:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

stoyan255

Hello NeXT Community!

Several years ago I've stared to create NeXTSTEP-like desktop for Linux. My goal is to create environment that looks and feels like NeXT's OS without compromises (not theme or skin to some existing sofware).
I'm writing it from scratch on Objective-C utilizing core thechnologies: CentOS Linux (mature, enterprise-level distribution), GNUstep libraries, Grand Central Dispatch and others.

Current state of project: version 0.85 (https://github.com/trunkmaster/nextspace/releases/tag/0.85). I use it as regular desktop everyday.
Major applications are:
- Login - login panel is identical to NeXT's one.
- Workspace - it's Workspace Manager replica with almost 90% features implemented.
- Preferences - about 60% features completed (Localization, Kyboard, Mouse, Displays, Sound)
- Terminal - you know it.  ;)

The GitHub page for project is here https://github.com/trunkmaster/nextspace.

P.S.: I'll be happy to see some contribution to the project.

Daxziz

Are there any plans about making it able to run Openstep applications?

And is it possible to compile use the Workspace app as an interface on OS X?

But nice work. There's a good amount of hours in it 😃

-Daxziz

oneNeXT

stoyan255

Quote from: Daxziz on June 15, 2019, 06:33:29 amAre there any plans about making it able to run Openstep applications?

And is it possible to compile use the Workspace app as an interface on OS X?

But nice work. There's a good amount of hours in it 😃

-Daxziz

OpenStep applications can be ported if sources are available.
Workspace can't be compiled on OS X because it tightly coupled with Linux.

stoyan255

Quote from: oneNeXT on June 16, 2019, 09:13:52 amDo you consider releasing ISO for x86 or RPI ?

Yes, I plan to complete all desired features and release ISO or VM image (most likely VirtualBox).

zombie

I'm just curious. Why are you doing this instead of working with GNUSTEP? Is there some difference or reason for rolling your own variant?

stoyan255

Quote from: zombie on June 19, 2019, 04:45:55 amI'm just curious. Why are you doing this instead of working with GNUSTEP? Is there some difference or reason for rolling your own variant?
Because GNUstep is a set of libraries not desktop environment. And NEXTSPACE was implemented on top of GNUstep.

P.S.: BTW, I'm a contributor/developer of GNUstep since 2001.

zombie

Thanks. Curious of your opinion of the never officially released UI from NeXTSTEP 4.0? I liked some parts, others were undercooked.

Thank you for doing this. It looks really cool.

stoyan255

Quote from: zombie on June 23, 2019, 06:18:46 amThanks. Curious of your opinion of the never officially released UI from NeXTSTEP 4.0? I liked some parts, others were undercooked.

Thank you for doing this. It looks really cool.
I've never tried it. Just saw some screenshots. It looks quite fresh but strange to me.
It will be interesting to listen/read a story behind it. Why did OPENSTEP 4.2 not released with this design? What was the basic idea with this change?

igor_av

Quote from: stoyan255 on June 14, 2019, 02:41:23 pmSeveral years ago I've stared to create NeXTSTEP-like desktop for Linux. My goal is to create environment that looks and feels like NeXT's OS without compromises (not theme or skin to some existing sofware).
I'm writing it from scratch on Objective-C utilizing core thechnologies: CentOS Linux (mature, enterprise-level distribution), GNUstep libraries, Grand Central Dispatch and others.

That's very impressive. It's been a while since I toyed with NS/OS development, but it is now very tempting to put my very limited obj-c skills back to work...
Happy owner of a NeXTstation Turbo Color.

stoyan255

Quote from: igor_av on June 25, 2019, 07:38:54 pmThat's very impressive. It's been a while since I toyed with NS/OS development, but it is now very tempting to put my very limited obj-c skills back to work...
You're welcome! I'll be happy to see you contributing in project!

zombie

Quote from: stoyan255 on June 24, 2019, 10:47:02 pmI've never tried it. Just saw some screenshots. It looks quite fresh but strange to me.
It will be interesting to listen/read a story behind it. Why did OPENSTEP 4.2 not released with this design? What was the basic idea with this change?

That's a really good question. Part of it was the "opening" of OPENSTEP put it on the back burner. I'm not sure if it was to spur a more 'cohesive' UI among the others that adopted OPENSTEP.

Most parts of it are a bit too garish, and like you, I adore the clean'ness of the original UI. That said, I did like some flourishes, like how the close window buttons were inset into the window bar, rather than buttons sitting atop.  The multi-tab shelf was very interesting, had some positives, but also, it didn't seem fully thought through.

I could swear I read an article recently about the 4.0 UI but cannot seem to find it. This blog gets to some of it on the May 22, 2019 entry if you scroll down enough:

https://www.highcaffeinecontent.com/blog/

rumbeard

I liked most everything except that tabbed shelf replacing the dock.  That feels very Windows 3.1/SCO OpenServer WinTiff to me.

stoyan255

Quote from: zombie on June 26, 2019, 04:40:59 pmI could swear I read an article recently about the 4.0 UI but cannot seem to find it. This blog gets to some of it on the May 22, 2019 entry if you scroll down enough:

https://www.highcaffeinecontent.com/blog/

Quite interesting point of view. Here is the direct link: https://www.highcaffeinecontent.com/blog/20190522-(Dont-Fear)-The-Reaper

stoyan255

Quote from: rumbeard on June 26, 2019, 11:41:24 pmI liked most everything except that tabbed shelf replacing the dock.  That feels very Windows 3.1/SCO OpenServer WinTiff to me.

I guess it was response to CDE that was popular on UNIX workstations. NeXT workstations were created as rivals to UNIX workstations of that time: Sun, DEC, IBM.