NeXT Dimension board repair, mountain of work :D

Started by MarNo8409, July 03, 2019, 11:37:23 am

Previous topic - Next topic

MarNo8409

Hi friends,

I've got one Dimension board left in my boxes here and I finally wanted to start this mountain of work :D
Therefore I need some parts to swap / resolder onto the surface.

This is one board of a whole lot of boards and parts I could "safe" after they got beaten up very horrible :/
A lot of stuff I did get just went into the good hands of Rob Blessin as part of a good trade. This particular board here is one of the last I kept for my own Cube.

Here are some pictures of it:

Especially critical are the damaged areas on Picture #04 & #05 ...

Can anyone give me advice or help me getting the correct parts ordered somewhere online or maybe someone has some spares I could just buy of his/hers hands? 

:D

Thanks,
Marcus

krazycat

Hi Marcus, you're starting a huge job: I wish you success, I hope all your NeXT hardware resurrects (maybe this summer I will restore the CD drive you sent me).
Good luck!
Luciano

barcher174

You can find the schematics in the file archive. If you just want a working color video card, you can probably remove the highlighted damaged components and verify there are no shorts. The 96 pin connector is also pretty much useless and could be removed. It's hard for me to tell from the image you posted, but you likely have damaged ZIP RAM packages. This looks very similar to a board I just fixed for Rob so I'm assuming it came from the same lot (that one also had a smashed i860 cpu).

barcher174

If you're interested here's the before and after:

MarNo8409

Quote from: barcher174 on July 04, 2019, 09:48:22 am...
If you just want a working color video card, you can probably remove the highlighted damaged components and verify there are no shorts.
Well, my goal is to get everything working again ;-) I love reviving that good old stuff, no matter how much work it will be, I have plenty of time fixing such poor things :D (I already fixed three out of 4 NeXT slabs [mono, turbo, turbo color] that also came from the same guy/lot of NeXT stuff) I don't think I will use more than the Color Video function but who knows what may come ;)

The 96 pin connector is also pretty much useless and could be removed.
What is this connector mainly used or intended to be used for?

It's hard for me to tell from the image you posted, but you likely have damaged ZIP RAM packages. This looks very similar to a board I just fixed for Rob so I'm assuming it came from the same lot (that one also had a smashed i860 cpu).
Yes I'm very sure this board was from my batch :p - I'm so happy it also could get a new life in Rob's / your hands again :D if you need, I can provide much more detailed and higher quality images of the damaged areas.

So for me it's just a matter of finding a source to buy the necessary parts (ZIP-RAMs, ICs, that small coil?)
Could you sell me these parts maybe?

Marcus

MarNo8409

Quote from: barcher174 on July 04, 2019, 09:59:00 amIf you're interested here's the before and after:

Great work on this poor board :D

barcher174

The surface mount passives are still made in that form factor so you can easily find them on mouser or digikey. The IC's you'll need to locate on ebay. The memory can get expensive. When removing my advice is to just cut them out. My success rate trying to remove them in one piece was too low to warrant potential damage to the board.

MarNo8409

Quote from: barcher174 on July 04, 2019, 09:48:22 amYou can find the schematics in the file archive.
Where is that file archive available? Couldn't really find it here on the pages?

Quote from: barcher174 on July 04, 2019, 10:15:48 pmThe surface mount passives are still made in that form factor so you can easily find them on mouser or digikey. The IC's you'll need to locate on ebay. The memory can get expensive. When removing my advice is to just cut them out. My success rate trying to remove them in one piece was too low to warrant potential damage to the board.
Thanks! but I can't find infos on some ICs because there is nothing written on them and sadly your photo is not high-res enough ;-)

Can you provide a better photo or just tell me the details on the chip? Especially the 8-pin one behind the video/cinch port.