Can a MegaPixel 21" display be used with a NeXTCube (040)?

Started by elemenoh, September 03, 2019, 01:27:37 am

Previous topic - Next topic

elemenoh

I have a NeXTCube with 040 board. I've been using it with one of Rob's modified Sound boxes and an old sync on green ViewSonic LCD screen. I also have a MegaPixel 21" I literally found on the road out for trash! I got a 13w3 to VGA adaptor and connected it to the VGA on the breakout cable. It gets a signal but doesn't sync. It just shows rolling distortion.

The monitor does work okay with a Mac.

Is it possible to use this monitor with the Cube? What adapters would I need?

barcher174

The 13w3 monitors require sync on green. You can use the 21" but only with a dimension card or possibly with a sync on green adapter spliced in. I've never heard of anyone trying.

elemenoh

This is the adapter I have. If the cube is expecting sync on green and so is the monitor, do you know why this adaptor wouldn't work? Did Sun monitors use a different sync signal?

barcher174

You need to actually generate the proper signal. That adapter is passive and just connects the proper pins. This site seems to have some good info:

https://www.raphnet.net/electronique/sync-on-green/sync-on-green_en.php

elemenoh

I think I understand, but isn't the cube already generating a sync on green signal?

Is there maybe a difference in the refresh rate the cube generates compared to what the 21" display runs at?