November 21, 2019, 09:32:56 am

scsi2sd v6 hangs

Started by schlika, October 28, 2019, 07:47:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

schlika

Hi !

I successfully installed and used a scsi2sd v6 (latest firmware 6.2.7) on my TurboColor, which mostly works fine together with a Samsung branded 4Gb SDHC Class 4 sdcard, setup with 1*2Gb HD, 1*1Gb HD and 1 600Mo CDROM. I had a tired but still finely working 2Gb Seagate Barracuda 4LP HD, and the Station worked flawlessly with it.

Setup went quite OK (I dd'd the install CD on the emulated CDROM), but encountered a few strange issues after installation, like unable to reboot (hang state in the gray screen after closing windows) with forced fsck after reboot, and total inability to untar the NeXTStep 3.3 official Patch3 (NS33CISCUserPatch3.tar) . Scsi2sd blinks for a while and then stays lit, nothing happens, CTRL-C can't stop it, and hours later I got a "read error".

Strangely enough, gnutar finally successfully untarred the file and I could install it.

I also can reproduce the same exact trouble when using nwbench's disk benchmark, same symptoms, the led stays lid, the machine hangs on io (I suppose), I have to call the rom monitor to force a reboot, and even after a reboot the scsi2sd adapter seems to stay hung, as I get this screen (see attached screenshot).

Have you ever had that kind of stuff ? Any idea ?

Thanks a lot !

Rob Blessin Black Hole

Hello : It may be your SD Card is not seated snugly in the slot as it looks like it is trying to find it.  I'll have to try version 6 again as I've been using the 5.1 cards, how did you set up the XML file?
Rob Blessin President computerpowwow ebay  sales@blackholeinc.com http://www.blackholeinc.com
303-741-9998 Serving the NeXT Community  since 2/9/93

joeyhagedorn

Yep, several folks, elemenoh and myself, have had this happen on another thread: "NextStep 3.3 on 040 Cube won't shut down"

I just updated my SCSI2SD v6 to the latest firmware (updated a week ago it looks like) and am going to give that another try. I don't think we have any solid idea of what's going on at the moment.

schlika

Allright, thanks for the info, guess I'll wait for a firmware update !

schlika

Quote from: Rob Blessin Black Hole on October 30, 2019, 04:06:11 amHello : It may be your SD Card is not seated snugly in the slot as it looks like it is trying to find it.  I'll have to try version 6 again as I've been using the 5.1 cards, how did you set up the XML file?

I doubt it, the sdcard sits ok. I used scsi2sd-util6 (linux) as a base and did a few edits about drive geometry by hand.

joeyhagedorn

Quote from: schlika on November 07, 2019, 08:18:13 pmAllright, thanks for the info, guess I'll wait for a firmware update !

I tested out the latest SCSI2SD firmware (6.2.8) and encountered the same issues. I'm not sure we've identified a specific firmware issue yet--so I suspect this is unlikely to "just get fixed".

For the time being, I'm going to look at sourcing a spinning SCSI disk I can use in my cube.