running apps remotely off linux box using X

Started by nextchef, October 10, 2006, 02:34:35 am

Previous topic - Next topic

nextchef

Is it possible to run apps off of a linux box on a nextstation color using X.  I was thinking of trying to surf on my color station using firefox, assuming I can get it working.  Does one have to compile and install a version of X, or do es NS3.3 have this capability?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Chef

tenzin

XNeXT or CubX are implementations of X11 for NeXT.

There is also a port of Afterstep window manager, and possibly even TkStep for some UI consistency.

Be forwarned the xpm "NeXT" icons in Afterstep are 8-bit colour and will look totally ugly compared to NeXT's very beautiful tiffs.

I can't remember if there is use of XaW in XNeXT or CubX, but if there is, there is a library called NeXtaw that is a replacement for it, and this makes any X11 applications using XaW also look a lot more like NeXT.

As with TkStep, some manual tweaking of XResource and other configuration files will improve consistency even more, for example, getting scrollbar widths and colours exact.

Tenzin

nextchef

So if I install XneXT or cubX on my slab, I will be able to display an instance of firefox exported off my kubuntu box?  How responsive will it be.  Will it be usable to surf on?

Any experience is welcome, as I have limited experience running X apps remotely

Chef

tenzin

In that case it is a good idea you get used to Xremote between Irix and Solaris on your Octane and Suns. Linux quite often surrounds the user in configuration wizards that isolate them from Unix skills.

You'll need to read up in manpages or HOWTOs on enabling the ports and protocols for X11, and setting up Xhost, Xauth, XDMCP and so on.

This Remote X Apps HOWTO is a good place to start.

Tenzin

nextchef

Quote from: "tenzin"In that case it is a good idea you get used to Xremote between Irix and Solaris on your Octane and Suns. Linux quite often surrounds the user in configuration wizards that isolate them from Unix skills.

You'll need to read up in manpages or HOWTOs on enabling the ports and protocols for X11, and setting up Xhost, Xauth, XDMCP and so on.

This Remote X Apps HOWTO is a good place to start.

Tenzin

Thanks for the link, it should help out a lot.

My only previous experience was years ago setting up hummingbird exceed to display some config programs running off of a sun box.  The sun was previously setup to export the app, I just had to figure out how to get the NT4 box to display the app through exceed.

Chef