Did NeXT send out updates on burned cd-r's???

Started by nextchef, October 10, 2006, 07:34:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

nextchef

Nightengale

NeXT Turbo Color 4.2, HP Pavillion w/4.2,MacBook Pro, PPC G5 dual 2.7 10.5.8.

brams

Quote from: "nextchef"Check out this auction, and tell me if you think it is legit.  Did NeXT send out updates on burned cd-r's?

http://cgi.ebay.com/NeXT-NEXTSTEP-3-3-CD-for-Intel-NeXT_W0QQitemZ260039642092QQihZ016QQcategoryZ4619QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Chef

The Y2K patch CD's I have are genuine silver NeXT © Apple Computer Inc.  That eBay auction I'd say is worthless crap.
NeXTcube Turbo Dimension, NeXTstation Turbo Color, MP2100, Q840av, Q650, WS G4 500, Pismo G4 550, SGI Octane R12K MXE, BeBox 133.

RacerX

Quote from: "nextchef"Check out this auction, and tell me if you think it is legit.  Did NeXT send out updates on burned cd-r's?

Not that I know of... as with Apple, with NeXT your media was sort of your receipt for the software (as much as a container of it).

When you consider that NeXT/Apple was sending out printed CDs of either NEXTSTEP 3.3 or OPENSTEP 4.2 to NeXT hardware owners for the cost of shipping, the idea that they would send out a CDR is just hard to believe. I mean even my patch CD (which, isn't as big a deal as the OS install CD) was nicely printed...

And it cost them (at most) a couple dollars a CD back in the mid 90's to have them made... why take the trouble to make and send a CDR (and add printing on it)? Plus NeXT/Apple doesn't do anything without documentation... even my patch CD came with a nice letter from Apple and a couple pages on how to install the updates as I recall.

brams

Quote from: "RacerX"

Not that I know of... as with Apple, with NeXT your media was sort of your receipt for the software (as much as a container of it).

When you consider that NeXT/Apple was sending out printed CDs of either NEXTSTEP 3.3 or OPENSTEP 4.2 to NeXT hardware owners for the cost of shipping, the idea that they would send out a CDR is just hard to believe. I mean even my patch CD (which, isn't as big a deal as the OS install CD) was nicely printed...

And it cost them (at most) a couple dollars a CD back in the mid 90's to have them made... why take the trouble to make and send a CDR (and add printing on it)? Plus NeXT/Apple doesn't do anything without documentation... even my patch CD came with a nice letter from Apple and a couple pages on how to install the updates as I recall.

Yup, that what I was trying to say, you just did it better ;-). My patch CD is exactly like this one.
NeXTcube Turbo Dimension, NeXTstation Turbo Color, MP2100, Q840av, Q650, WS G4 500, Pismo G4 550, SGI Octane R12K MXE, BeBox 133.

blackcube

Quote from: "brams"
Quote from: "RacerX"

Yup, that what I was trying to say, you just did it better ;-). My patch CD is exactly like this one.

All of mine are nicely printed as well.  But perhaps this one is one of the ones that blackhole is selling that are not actual Apple produced CD's but are authorized burned copies?  Has anyone seen one of the CD sets Rob is selling with Apple's permission?
www.blackcube.org - The Texas State Home for Orphaned and Wayward Computers

RacerX

Quote from: "brams"Yup, that what I was trying to say, you just did it better ;-).

I wasn't trying to be the definitive word on the subject... just adding to what you had said.  :oops:

Quote from: ""All of mine are nicely printed as well. But perhaps this one is one of the ones that blackhole is selling that are not actual Apple produced CD's but are authorized burned copies? Has anyone seen one of the CD sets Rob is selling with Apple's permission?

I haven't seen them, but if it was one of those, then it would be a legitimate copy of NEXTSTEP.

It would have helped if the seller had said it was a BlackHole, Inc. CDR rather than NeXT... that is, it would help us in authenticating, but maybe not helped in selling the CD.

:roll:

Which brings up another point... maybe we should find out if Rob is doing a special labeling of the media he is selling so we know what a legitimate version looks like.

Nitro

Here's a scan of an OPENSTEP CD I purchased from Black Hole Inc a few months ago.  It's labeled as a "printable" CD and has a blurry image of the original.  The developer CD had a similar image of the original too.  Both were Memorex brand CDR's.

Nitro

brams

Quote from: "RacerX"I wasn't trying to be the definitive word on the subject... just adding to what you had said.  :oops:

No problem at all, you did make a much better job of explaining than I did :-)

As I understand it, it's perfectly legal for me to give (FOC or small charge for  duplication) a CD-R of a NeXT operating system to an owner of a NeXT computer (black hardware) provided I get proof that the recipient has a NeXT computer with a valid serial number.  Is that the truth? 'cos it does sound a bit dodgy to me.  I also understand this rule does not apply to any other platform other then NeXT 68k.  When and how did this rule come about?.

nextchef

Quote from: "brams"As I understand it, it's perfectly legal for me to give (FOC or small charge for  duplication) a CD-R of a NeXT operating system to an owner of a NeXT computer (black hardware) provided I get proof that the recipient has a NeXT computer with a valid serial number.  Is that the truth? 'cos it does sound a bit dodgy to me.  I also understand this rule does not apple to any other platform other then NeXT 68k.  When and how did this rule come about?.

In every world but microsofts, I would say that this is true.  If the system originally came with copies of the OS on cd, then you should be able to "procure" a replacement copy.  In my experience, this is usually done through the manufacturer, and you will pay a nominal price for the media and shipping, once you provide proof of ownership.  You would not be in your rights to get a version higher than the one that came with your system, unless you paid accordingly.

I thought next gave out copies of NS3.3 to anyone owning 68k hardware at one time?

Chef

blackcube

Quote from: "nextchef"
I thought next gave out copies of NS3.3 to anyone owning 68k hardware at one time?

Chef

Thay did exactly that during the Y2K run up.  All you had to do was call Apple and give them the serial number of your black cpu and they would mail you the proper media.  They go messed up on mine and sent me two sets of media.
www.blackcube.org - The Texas State Home for Orphaned and Wayward Computers

RacerX

Quote from: "brams"As I understand it, it's perfectly legal for me to give (FOC or small charge for  duplication) a CD-R of a NeXT operating system to an owner of a NeXT computer (black hardware) provided I get proof that the recipient has a NeXT computer with a valid serial number.  Is that the truth? 'cos it does sound a bit dodgy to me.  I also understand this rule does not apply to any other platform other then NeXT 68k.  When and how did this rule come about?.

For both Apple (including clones) and NeXT hardware, my general policy with clients is that I'll supply an OS for hardware that doesn't have one.

In the case of Apple hardware, I'll supply (for free) the very next version of the OS after the one that originally shipped with that hardware. I own generic versions of all the Apple operating systems, but in many cases the operating system that shipped with a given system was hardware specific and the generic version will be missing important parts.

For example, a PowerBook 3400c that came with 7.6 won't except the generic 7.6 installation. So I would put 8.1 (8.0 plus the free 8.1 update) on that system. If they wanted 8.5-8.6, they would need to supply their own copy.

With NeXT hardware, because of the Y2K issues, Apple needed to bring everyone up to at least NEXTSTEP 3.3 so they could apply the patch.

So in the case of NeXT hardware without an OS I'll supply NEXTSTEP 3.3 (user, not developer) with all the patches. A NeXT system with NEXTSTEP 2.x to 3.2, I'll also supply NEXTSTEP 3.3, and if they have the earlier versions of Developer Tools, I'll upgrade and patch them too. In the case of OPENSTEP, if you have NeXT hardware and OPENSTEP 4.0 or 4.1, I'll supply 4.2 with the needed patches.

I only do this with clients (and with hardware I can see). It basically follows the your hardware is your license key philosophy.

As for supplying actual media... I'm quite a bit more hesitant to take that step generally (partially because I really don't have the means to make copies). It is one thing to get a system up, running and useful... but beyond that, there are just too many variables to be handing out media that freely (specially since the Intel install is on the same media as the NeXT).

:roll:

As I understand it, BlackHole is supposed to be supplying the replacement media for NeXT hardware at a reasonable cost (which would be something much less than the standard versions of NEXTSTEP/OPENSTEP they sell). I think this was part of their agreement with Apple to sell copies.

Quote from: "Nitro"Here's a scan of an OPENSTEP CD I purchased from Black Hole Inc a few months ago.

Well, I guess we can rule out that the ebay one is one of them.

nextchef

Quote from: "blackcube"

Chef

Thay did exactly that during the Y2K run up.  All you had to do was call Apple and give them the serial number of your black cpu and they would mail you the proper media.  They go messed up on mine and sent me two sets of media.

If that is the case, then why does Rob over at blackhole charge $200 for something that apple would give you for free.  I can understand cost for the cd's and shipping, but not $200 for a couple of burned cd-r's.  You have to wonder how many of those original cd's are still around, sitting in a warehouse at apple, or in some ex-NeXT/Apple employees garage.

Chef

Andreas

Chef

If that is the case, then why does Rob over at blackhole charge $200 for something that apple would give you for free.

For free is only for black hardware. If you have Intel/HP/Sparc you have to purchase the full one set. AFAIK ROb had also a Set for ~$49 for black NeXTies

nextchef

Quote from: "Andreas"

Chef

If that is the case, then why does Rob over at blackhole charge $200 for something that apple would give you for free.

For free is only for black hardware. If you have Intel/HP/Sparc you have to purchase the full one set. AFAIK ROb had also a Set for ~$49 for black NeXTies

$49 is a much better price, but it still seems to be a bit much.  Mabey if they were pressed cd's with a silkscreened label, but not for a burned inkjet printed cd-r.

But that is just me ;)

Chef