Using the Internet with a NeXT Cube

Started by guydestefano, November 07, 2006, 03:03:21 am

Previous topic - Next topic

guydestefano

With much valued help from this board, tonight I finally have my 68040 Cube working perfectly. I have a 4 GB hard drive with OpenStep 4.2 and 64 MG's memory.  I now want to use the Cube to connect to the Internet.  
I know I will need a modem, but do not know what software or settings to use.  Any suggestions on which modem to purchase? Is there a built in web browser, or is that also some thing that has to be purchased.  Any help will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks In advance.

Guy

Andreas

Quote from: "guydestefano"With much valued help from this board, tonight I finally have my 68040 Cube working perfectly. I have a 4 GB hard drive with OpenStep 4.2 and 64 MG's memory.  I now want to use the Cube to connect to the Internet.  
I know I will need a modem, but do not know what software or settings to use.  Any suggestions on which modem to purchase? Is there a built in web browser, or is that also some thing that has to be purchased.  Any help will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks In advance.

Guy

I wouldn't stay with modems or that. You should use an Internet-Router with Network Hub/Switch and setup the cube in the same network than the switch.

Webbrowser is AFAIK the only usefuel solution, even if deadly slow, Omniweb 3.1rc2. Maybe its slow due compiling against debug, but there are no newer versions available.

Better to use the NeXt for email and usenet.