CD-ROM and floppy format

Started by Ashman, October 27, 2006, 01:00:08 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Ashman

I thought I posted this earlier, but I don't see it on the board, so I guess I'll repost it.

I'm just wondering what format of CD-ROM disc NeXTStep will read.

Also, will my NeXTStation with 3.3 read MS-DOS formatted floppy disks?

Since my NeXTStation isn't connected to the internet if I want to get any software to it I'll have to use burnt CD-ROMs or floppys, so I need to know if I can write them with my PC.  As a side note, would I have better luck writing the CD-ROMs with my Mac?

nextchef

Well on my sun box running NS3.3, It could read "normal" iso9660 or whatever the standard is, as it escapes me at the moment.  Basically I did not have to burn them any different than I normally would.  I used both toast on the mac, and k3b on linux, and both worked fine.  I do not see why ns/os on black hardware would be any different, but I can not say for sure because I have not tried it personally.  Hopefully I will get my color slab running tomorrow, and will be able to give you a better answer.

Chef

winfried

You can read ISO9660, rock ridge extensions (I don't know of a windows software, which is able to write or read this format), mac HFS (or how the mac cdrom format is called) and the original NS ufs filesystem format.

You can read dos and mac formatted floppies.

weps

in a related question, which operating systems are capable of reading and duplicating the original nextstep install cd's?

nextchef

Quote from: "weps"in a related question, which operating systems are capable of reading and duplicating the original nextstep install cd's?

For "personal" backups, right ;)

ash

I used "dd" to copy off the CDs without reading the disc format on OS X.  then I just burned the blob back onto the disc with cdrecord.  Seemed to work.

weps

Quote from: "nextchef"

For "personal" backups, right ;)

no. i want to sell them on ebay.   :D

kenjay

Quote from: "weps"in a related question, which operating systems are capable of reading and duplicating the original nextstep install cd's?

I use Disk Utility on Mac OS X [10.4.8] to make a disk image. Then I burn the image to a CD [using Disk Utility]. It works great!

Image Format: DVD/CD master
Encryption: none