Networking on NeXTstation?

Started by conrad, October 31, 2006, 03:00:29 am

Previous topic - Next topic

conrad

I recently acquired a slab and I am curious about how to get it to recognize the network I am hooking it into.  I have read some info about the slabs, and the brochures tout a sort of "self-configuring" system where all you have to do is plug it in.  Is this so?  Is there a NeXTSTEP configuration utility I need to run?

Thanks in advance for any help.  I am pretty new to NeXTSTEP but I am quite enthralled with it so far.

kenjay

Quote from: "conrad"I have read some info about the slabs, and the brochures tout a sort of "self-configuring" system where all you have to do is plug it in.  Is this so?  Is there a NeXTSTEP configuration utility I need to run?

Self configuring? I don't think so! :lol:

There are the "long answers" and the "short answers".
Here is a "VERY long answer" :wink:

http://www.nextop.de/NeXTstep_3.3_administration/

I'm sure that others will reply with the "short answers".

brams

Quote from: "conrad"I recently acquired a slab and I am curious about how to get it to recognize the network I am hooking it into.  I have read some info about the slabs, and the brochures tout a sort of "self-configuring" system where all you have to do is plug it in.  Is this so?  Is there a NeXTSTEP configuration utility I need to run?

Thanks in advance for any help.  I am pretty new to NeXTSTEP but I am quite enthralled with it so far.

Welcome and enjoy the slab. :-)

I've never done anything other than hook mine upto the net using a static IP to a router.  I've never set up filesharing either as I just FTP into my machines if I need.

Tim Luoma did a real cool guide which he had on his sit at Peak, eventually  it did go down and I'm not sure if it's up again, put I did print the page as a PDF a few years back.  So with due aknowledgement to Tim Luoma's work in that respect you may find it here:

http://idisk.mac.com/brams-Public/NeXT

Cool avatar btw ;-)
NeXTcube Turbo Dimension, NeXTstation Turbo Color, MP2100, Q840av, Q650, WS G4 500, Pismo G4 550, SGI Octane R12K MXE, BeBox 133.

conrad

Quote from: "brams"

Cool avatar btw ;-)

Hah, thanks.  Was about to say the same about yours!

And thanks to both of you for the info.  I'll try some stuff out when I get back to my apartment.

I know the NeXTs were ahead of their time, but "self-configured ethernet" seemed a little advanced for the early to mid 90s...