No more man pages after applying userpatch3

Started by nextchef, December 11, 2006, 07:35:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

nextchef

I just patched the NS3.3 system on my turbo slab, and now I no longer have access to man pages in the terminal.  Is this normal, and does anyone know how to get them working again.  The raw files for the man pages still exist on the system, but man can no longer find them.

Chef

Andreas

maybe there is something with the "MANPATH" wrong? Type in your shell "set" and take a look at these variable.

nextchef

Quote from: "Andreas"maybe there is something with the "MANPATH" wrong? Type in your shell "set" and take a look at these variable.

"set" shows me no MANPATH option configured, so I guess that could be a problem.  What folder is it normally set to?

Chef

crimsonRE

Well, it just needs to be set to where the man pages exist. Something like MANPATH=/NextLibrary/Documentation/man in the initialization file of whatever shell you use...

I wonder if the 'man' command included with NS didn't have it's default path reset to this value (from /usr/man, probably) when it was recompiled back in the day...

nextchef

Quote from: "crimsonRE"Well, it just needs to be set to where the man pages exist. Something like MANPATH=/NextLibrary/Documentation/man in the initialization file of whatever shell you use...

I wonder if the 'man' command included with NS didn't have it's default path reset to this value (from /usr/man, probably) when it was recompiled back in the day...

So I did a "set $MANPATH=/NextLibrary/Documentation/ManPages" and it did not correct the problem.  Do I need to export this somehow, or what is the process on NS?  Do I need to add it to a startup script or shell config file?

Chef

nextchef

Can you search and view the man pages using the Digital Librarian?  When I do a search, it just seems to chunk through all the files in the system.

Chef

nextchef

Installed a fresh version of NS3.3 from the cd on a blank hard disk last night, and it has no MANPATH variable set at all, but the man pages still work.  Will install patch3 on this and see what happens.

EDIT
Installing patch3 did not break the man page display capability, so it must be something with how these other systems are setup.  Mabey if I kill all the netinfo stuff, and reset it to the defaults, it will restore functionality.

Chef

crimsonRE

Netinfo will have no effect whatsoever on whether or not 'man' can access the man pages - unless the man pages are located on a different filesystem/disk entirely and no link exists to there (or the disk no longer exists) but some reference still exists in Netinfo, a possibility in the old days of tiny hard drive where there'd be only one machine with the man pages and all the other machines on the network would mount the pages via NFS.

Since you note that 'man' works on a fresh install, this means that this version of 'man' for NextStep has had the default location of the man pages (under /NextLibrary/Documentation/man - I think, something like that anyway) placed into the 'man' sourcecode, something that has been done in the man command on every version of UNIX for a very long time now.

The ability of 'man' to utilize the MANPATH environment variable is programmed in so that one can install man pages elsewhere in filesystem and have 'man' be able to access the new pages. Run 'man man' for all the details. I personally like to keep any man pages for any software I download separate from the OS's stuff.

Having a book on UNIX around, as well as one about your favorite shell (sh, csh, bash, or whatever), is a Very Good Idea.

So as far as doing a
'set $MANPATH=/NextLibrary/Documentation/ManPages'
goes, you need to know what shell you are using. For csh, you set environment variables with 'setenv', not 'set', e.g., like so:
setenv MANPATH /NextLibrary/Documenta....
So you also need to poke around the filesystem to find out under which directory the man page dirs (man1/, man3/, man4/, mann/) exist (and on a 'normal' NextStep setup, /NextLibrary/Documentation/ManPages does NOT exist - the path is slightly different).

Cheers,
crimsonRE

nextchef

Quote from: "crimsonRE"So you also need to poke around the filesystem to find out under which directory the man page dirs (man1/, man3/, man4/, mann/) exist (and on a 'normal' NextStep setup, /NextLibrary/Documentation/ManPages does NOT exist - the path is slightly different).

Thanks for the info, and it appears everything is setup correctly.  I was able to set the MANPATH variable, and verify using echo that it was correct, but still no help.  The strange thing is that on the fresh install, the man page directories (man1/, man3/, man4/, mann/) are in "/NextLibrary/Documentation/ManPages", which if I understand you post is not the correct place for them?

Chef