What are your "must have" NeXT apps

Started by nextchef, December 22, 2006, 01:32:38 am

Previous topic - Next topic

nextchef

Thought I would throw this out to the crowd, and see what kind of apps are out there for NeXT.

When you setup a new NeXT system, what is the set of apps that you have to install before you feel it is ready to use.  I am especially interested in the less known apps, and apps that fill specialized areas like music, mathematics, genomics/bioinformatics, and the like.

Chef

RacerX

I have a bunch of different math apps on my systems, but Geomview is the main one that I work with. It was developed at the Geometry Center during the time I was doing research there. Otherwise I would think that my regular apps are pretty standard...

Main Third Party Applications:
    OmniWeb- Both as a browser and as an HTML editor
    Create- Page layout, web layout and illustration
    ToyViewer- Quick image editing
    PixelNhance- Quick image corrections
    TIFFany II- detailed image work
    PDFView- PDF reader
    FrameMaker- large scale documents or math documents
    Geomview- 3D rendering app for mathematical objects
    EquationBuilder- GUI equation building app
    3DReality- Simple 3D rendering app
    Diagram!- Organizational charts
    PStill- PDF distiller
    Chronographer- Organizer/calendar app[/list]NeXT Applications:
      TextEdit- Word processing
      Digital Librarian- Search
      DarkForrest- system clean up[/list]Services and environment:
        Fiend- Dock extender and desktop images
        Tickle Services- A large bundle of helpful writing services
        TextExtras- Additional text attribute input manager
        Quotations- pulled from my NEXTSTEP 3.1 CD, works fine in OPENSTEP 4.2
        Shakespeare  Library- pulled from my NEXTSTEP 3.3 CD[/list]

blackcube

Quote from: "RacerX"
        Main Third Party Applications:
          OmniWeb- Both as a browser and as an HTML editor
          Create- Page layout, web layout and illustration
          ToyViewer- Quick image editing
          PixelNhance- Quick image corrections
          TIFFany II- detailed image work
          PDFView- PDF reader
          FrameMaker- large scale documents or math documents
          Geomview- 3D rendering app for mathematical objects
          EquationBuilder- GUI equation building app
          3DReality- Simple 3D rendering app
          Diagram!- Organizational charts
          PStill- PDF distiller
          Chronographer- Organizer/calendar app[/list]NeXT Applications:
            TextEdit- Word processing
            Digital Librarian- Search
            DarkForrest- system clean up[/list]Services and environment:
              Fiend- Dock extender and desktop images
              Tickle Services- A large bundle of helpful writing services
              TextExtras- Additional text attribute input manager
              Quotations- pulled from my NEXTSTEP 3.1 CD, works fine in OPENSTEP 4.2
              Shakespeare  Library- pulled from my NEXTSTEP 3.3 CD[/list]

Agree with the above list but would add:

WriteNow - my favorite word processor program for NeXT and early Macintosh
              WordPerfect - For document compatibility with my Sun's, Sgi, DOS, Mac and Windows systems.  I have a copy for NeXT, Mac, Unix, DOS, and Windows, so the my document format is platform independant.
              Wingz - Excellent spreadsheet.
              www.blackcube.org - The Texas State Home for Orphaned and Wayward Computers

nextchef

Thanks for the lists guys, as this is the kind of stuff I was looking for.  It would probably be helpful to state which ones are not freeware or abandonware, and would therefore require a valid license in order to use.

Thanks for the responses, and keep em coming.

Chef

tenzin

I also agree the both the above lists, and at risk of sounding like a loop tape, would insist on having Midas Plus, as well as SolidThinking, PRMan and BMRT.

X11, and POVchem in that, and, of course, POVray.
              An OS without POVray is just naked ;)

Tenzin

dylanmcnamee

I think the Tailor PostScript editor as well as FrameMaker haven't ever been surpassed.

Since I first saw Mathematica on the earliest cubes, I've always associated it with NeXT. It's super-cool that Mathematica is now free on Raspberry Pi's, and it's a shame how hard-to-come by it is for NeXT/OPENStep. I've reached out to Wolfram to see if they can make it available to licensed users of the current Mathematica. Fingers crossed.

Rob Blessin Black Hole

Quote from: "dylanmcnamee"I think the Tailor PostScript editor as well as FrameMaker haven't ever been surpassed.
              I've reached out to Wolfram to see if they can make it available to licensed users of the current Mathematica. Fingers crossed.

http://www.blackholeinc.com/catalog/software/Software/Scientific/math.pdf   WE do have permission but they changed the code key generator and no one knows what happened to the old one .   My contacts we're these guys ... Theodore Gray <theodore@wolfram.com> and Stephen Wolfram <stephen_wolfram@wolfram.com>   the original developers and nice fellows , I'm not sure if they have retired but they would be the decision makers and granted us permission before I do not know if it was intended to be perpetual but I think they would be receptive to continuing granting permission as long as we do the  support for jurassic Mathematica versions and steer potential customers to their new offerings. Version 1.0 does work without an additional  license on Black Hardware up to version 3.3 . Best regards Rob Blessin
              Rob Blessin President computerpowwow ebay  sales@blackholeinc.com http://www.blackholeinc.com
              303-741-9998 Serving the NeXT Community  since 2/9/93

eagle

For me, it's WriteNow and Improv.
              My NeXTs:
              NeXT Computer prototype (68030-25 x2, 68040-25)
              Two NeXTstations (68040-25)
              All mono