Daylight Savings Time for 2007

Started by rewoffl3, March 08, 2007, 06:08:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

rewoffl3

Has anyone tried updating their NS/OS systems to correctly handle DST changes in North America for 2007?  The old 'zic' program seems to puke on recent tzdata files (the last working one I found was tzdata93f).

Thanks,
Cory.

mgtremaine

I was just wondering the same thing, I'm going to sit down with it today and tomorrow and see if I can't get it ready for the change.

-Mike

Added: Painfully slow trying to zic the file on my 33mhz  :? , Also the new zic from tzcode doesn't compile, naturally. I suspect we are going to have to hand edit the northamerica file to remove the problem lines [line 125 threw and error and something in the 250ish range]. So I think the best thing to do might be to edit out the parts you need specifically with the zone and the more modern parts of the file [forget the 1940's stuff] and trying getting zic to crunch it.

mgtremaine

OK I got mine fixed.... I went with the first plan of just editing down the northamerica file to just the stuff I need and then debug that. I'm in San Diego, Ca so I really only needed PST PDT and America/Log_Angeles

Here is the file I used ....

# @(#)los_angeles       8.12
# <pre>

# United States

# Rule  NAME    FROM    TO      TYPE    IN      ON      AT      SAVE    LETTER/S
Rule    US  1967    2006    -   Oct lastSun 2:00    0   S
Rule    US  1967    1973    -   Apr lastSun 2:00    1:00    D
Rule    US  1974    only    -   Jan 6   2:00    1:00    D
Rule    US  1975    only    -   Feb 23  2:00    1:00    D
Rule    US  1976    1986    -   Apr lastSun 2:00    1:00    D
Rule    US  1987    2006    -   Apr Sun>=1  2:00    1:00    D
Rule    US  2007    max -   Mar Sun>=8  2:00    1:00    D
Rule    US  2007    max -   Nov Sun>=1  2:00    0   S

# Zone  NAME            GMTOFF  RULES   FORMAT  [UNTIL]
Zone    EST              -5:00  -       EST
Zone    MST              -7:00  -       MST
Zone    HST             -10:00  -       HST
Zone    EST5EDT          -5:00  US      E%sT
Zone    CST6CDT          -6:00  US      C%sT
Zone    MST7MDT          -7:00  US      M%sT
Zone    PST8PDT          -8:00  US      P%sT

# US Pacific time, represented by Los Angeles
#
# California, northern Idaho (Benewah, Bonner, Boundary, Clearwater,
# Idaho, Kootenai, Latah, Lewis, Nez Perce, and Shoshone counties),
# most of Nevada, most of Oregon, and Washington
#
# Rule  NAME    FROM    TO      TYPE    IN      ON      AT      SAVE    LETTER
Rule    CA      1948    only    -       Mar     14      2:00    1:00    D
Rule    CA      1949    only    -       Jan      1      2:00    0       S
Rule    CA      1950    1966    -       Apr     lastSun 2:00    1:00    D
Rule    CA      1950    1961    -       Sep     lastSun 2:00    0       S
Rule    CA      1962    1966    -       Oct     lastSun 2:00    0       S
# Zone  NAME            GMTOFF  RULES   FORMAT  [UNTIL]
Zone America/Los_Angeles -8:00  CA      P%sT    1967
                       -8:00   US      P%sT

I ran "zic los_angeles" against it and it made new binary files in /etc/zonefile/ then I changed the symlink to point at the new /etc/zonefile/America/Log_Angeles and when I do date I get...

root@betelgeuse /etc/zoneinfo [9] date
Fri Mar  9 15:29:16 PST 2007

Looks good to me.

I think old zic barfs on Rules that have seconds in the time. My first attempt to edit it down got this error.

root@betelgeuse /etc/zoneinfo [6] zic los_angeles
"los_angeles", line 34: time overflow

Hopefully that is enough detail for those who want to build fresh files. For those who need to download the new files to work on go here ftp://elsie.nci.nih.gov/pub/

-Mike

cubist

Quote from: "rewoffl3"Has anyone tried updating their NS/OS systems to correctly handle DST changes in North America for 2007?  The old 'zic' program seems to puke on recent tzdata files (the last working one I found was tzdata93f).

Replying to this a bit late.  I posted a .zic file based on modern definitions to c.s.n.admin back in February but it didn't replicate very reliably.  It's a bit long so perhaps it might better belong in the files section.  I'll forward it along to admin as it exceeds current forum limits.

kb7sqi

Quote from: "cubist"
Quote from: "rewoffl3"Has anyone tried updating their NS/OS systems to correctly handle DST changes in North America for 2007?  The old 'zic' program seems to puke on recent tzdata files (the last working one I found was tzdata93f).

Replying to this a bit late.  I posted a .zic file based on modern definitions to c.s.n.admin back in February but it didn't replicate very reliably.  It's a bit long so perhaps it might better belong in the files section.  I'll forward it along to admin as it exceeds current forum limits.

Figured I'd post an update on this.  I had used your 2007 update back then to update just the North America on my systems, but took sometime yesterday to get zic/zdump to compile correctly to update to the latest tzdata which is 2010j.  I was able to update all regions successfully after getting zic/zdump to compile.  I compiled them quad fat & then tested generating the "zoneinfo" on my x86, m68k, & hppa systems.  The "zoneinfo" all came out the same size & seems to work fine on 2 systems I've installed it on so far.  If people are interested, I can upload an archive somewhere so others can update their zoneinfo.  Or I can post the changes to the Makefile, & the few minor changes I had to make to get zic/zdump to compile correctly.  The changes weren't major.  Most changes were just to the Makefile.    If you're interested let me know.  Take care.

Steve

timu

Quote from: "kb7sqi"
If people are interested, I can upload an archive somewhere so others can update their zoneinfo.  

Steve, I would be interested in that...

Tim

kb7sqi

Quote from: "timu"
Quote from: "kb7sqi"
If people are interested, I can upload an archive somewhere so others can update their zoneinfo.  

Steve, I would be interested in that...

Tim

Tim shoot me an email where I can email the file to you.  The zoneinfo archive is about 900K compiled fast for all architectures.

Steve