Nextstep 3.3 software frustrations..

Started by Jenne, April 10, 2007, 07:40:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Jenne

Ok, I noticed that Nextstep 3.3 is an old system. I also noticed that this system was not that what it was supposed to be. But I didn't expect that much problems with software!

Most irritating thing is with applications that are dedicated to work within NS 3.3 - as the reference manuals of those applications are mentioning. But they don't. One example: there is one of my favourite games on the Mac available for NeXtstep - Oxyd. As stated in the manual one has simply to rename the file itself to get it working under Nextstep 3.0. I don't think that 3.0 is so much different from 3.3 but heaven knows why I don't get this little piece of software working! As stated this application is working with NS 3 and the cube configuration I own. But it won't fire up.
Another example: in order to set up my cube as a possible server in the future (Apache...) I downloaded the Apache distributions available for Nextstep 3.3:

Installation errors
Installation failures...

The only application that IS working is Mathematica 2.2. Nothing else. Am I doing something wrong?

J

da9000

Quote from: "Jenne"
The only application that IS working is Mathematica 2.2. Nothing else. Am I doing something wrong?

J

Most likely... I'm no expert with NS 3.0, but my guess is that they differ substancially even though the version numbers aren't that far apart. For example, NS3.2 came as separate Motorola and Intel versions, while 3.3 included both architecture binaries on one CD. Someone else can probably clarify how different 3.0 is from 3.3.

I'd recommend you run your applications from the terminal to see what they're complaining about, and also look at the machine logs to see if any errors show up in there.

Lastly, any non-NeXT software (Apache) will most likely require updated libraries and other such things. Perhaps those are not installed or installed correctly? Maybe you should check the requirements.

Good luck with it

helf

Some newer software does indeed require updated libraries... and it can be a PITA to get stuff working sometimes...

Like one app I was trying to compile kept needing newer libs/programs... I would try to compile a program it needed... and THAT one would require a lib... and so on about 4 more programs down hte list then I had to start backtracking; compiling back to the point where the main app would compile.... very annoying :)
*INACTIVE*

Jenne

How do I update libraries????

I've been checing almost any document offered with those applications. Most of the time the application icon is that of  disply wearing a question mark. Sometimes the application starts but that is all - nor visible feedback in any way. I'm no UNIX expert but this is rather strange to me...

I really would like to use my black hardware but this is annoying... :(

J

crimsonRE

Well, this really is not that strange, not as far as open source software goes.
With so many versions of popular programs such as Apache floating around that depend on many other open source libraries, it becomes a real pain to get things running (& later, upgrade them) - chasing down all the correct pieces and getting them compiled in order to finally make a running binary.

I'm really not suprised at all that a program compiled for NS 3.3 will not run under 3.3. There were significant changes in the underlying NextStep libraries between the various NextStep 3.x versions. Heck, that happens all the time now, still, with both Micro$oft Win (95, 98, 98 SE, ME, etc) and OS X (10.1,2,3, etc), and has always occurred throughout the history of computing...

da9000

Quote from: "crimsonRE"
I'm really not suprised at all that a program compiled for NS 3.3 will not run under 3.3. There were significant changes in the underlying NextStep libraries between the various NextStep 3.x versions. Heck, that happens all the time now, still, with both Micro$oft Win (95, 98, 98 SE, ME, etc) and OS X (10.1,2,3, etc), and has always occurred throughout the history of computing...

Exactly...

Jenne

Ok, so it seems that I have to reduce my need on software a bit, hoping for dedicated help on a selection of several programs. I would like to set up my cube as a nostalgia-NeXT-server and therefor I could need any advice and /or help on

Apache (which version for NS 3.3 and so on)

or (in case Apache shouldn't work)

HTTPD (I'm already using a derivate version on my Macintosh Plus)

All other applications can wait, I think I will use them within my NeXTstation.

J