November 21, 2019, 09:35:08 am

Memory sweetspot?

Started by dlundh, April 18, 2007, 01:52:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

crimsonRE

Quote from: "dlundh"I'm totally unsure if my CPUs have L2 cache even with the website you pointed to. :oops:

I got a 100MB network card today and a ConServer-1053 SCSI-FWS Host Adapter for my SS20 and I have a second SS20 inbound with 2 HyperSPARC 150MHz processors and 336MB RAM (it also includes 2 50MHz CPUs).

From what I understand OPENSTEP does not run on HyperSPARCs and I feel pretty awful having 4 50MHz SuperSPARCs but no SMP support. Maybe I'll get yet another SS20 with just one SuperSparc (and maybe one of the faster ones). :)

...or maybe I can run OpenStep/Solaris on the HyperSPARCs?

I can't remember if there's a way to find out even in Solaris if these processors have L2 cache. Easiest way is probably to pull out the Mbus module and get the part number - which should be on a sticker on the Mbus connect and starts with the numbers '501'.

For one of my SS20's I've got Solaris 2.8 on one disk and NextStep 3.3 on another.  I've turned off automatic booting in OpenBoot, and just tell the machine at the PROM command line from which disk to boot.

I've been meaning to get OpenStep/Solaris running...and with that you obviously have SMP...

Cheers!

dlundh

The 2 new 50MHz CPUs I got with my second SS20 have 2 huge blocks on them labelled "ti Super SPARC Cache Controller TMS390" and "ti Super SPARC Microprocessor TMS390" and the old board just says "Sun SuperSPARC".

I hope this means the new boards are (marginally) faster thanks to cache.

crimsonRE

Yeah, it would make me think that these do have L2 cache - but again, the EASIEST thing to do, since you apparently have the modules out of the machine, is to look at the part number and find it in the module page of http://mbus.sunhelp.org ... then you'll know for certain.

dlundh

Quote from: "crimsonRE"Yeah, it would make me think that these do have L2 cache - but again, the EASIEST thing to do, since you apparently have the modules out of the machine, is to look at the part number and find it in the module page of http://mbus.sunhelp.org ... then you'll know for certain.

I did! :)

Turns out I was right, old cpus had no cache but the new ones have 1MB of cache.

However... No matter what CPUs I have in the machine now it hangs at Registering: kmDevice0 during boot.

I don't know what is going on right now.

dlundh

I removed an SBUS SCSI-adapter I added and now it's ok.