Networking a NeXT machine - Step by step for non-UNIX users

Started by Jenne, April 27, 2007, 05:53:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Jenne

Ok, this is going to be my first try to give something back to this community. Please keep in mind that I'm no native speaker so please excuse again any misunderstandable expression...

Following lines assume that:

1. user owns a black NeXT machine (made by NeXT, not simply painted black...)
2. user is using NEXTSTEP 3.3
3. user has set up "root", "me" and another user with appropiate passwords within NEXTSTEP 3.3
4. user is familiar with the usage of a router
5. user is no UNIX command line or terminal user
6. user wants to connect with a standard patch 5 ethernet cable
7. user knows how to deal with static IP adresses

Ok, here we go...

1. Get Your NeXT computer's MAC adress: while being logged in as root You can press BOTH command keys on a non-ADB keyboard along with the tilde key, this fires the NMI monitor. At the prompt just type "msg" (without quotes) and step through until You get the MAC adress of Your machine. Write it down somewhere.

2. I assume that Your NeXT machine is running without any troubles and that You can handle at least a bit the machine, the OS and it's user interface. First of all You will have to power down Your machine. Now, connect a standard patch 5 ethernet cable to Your machine (NO crossover cable!). It doesn't matter if You connect it to a switch or a multi port router but a hub MIGHT cause troubles (at least I experienced those).

3. Log into Your router via Your "normal" computer and Your browser. Look out for the interface where You can give Your network a "domain name" (most routers do have such interfaces somewhere). Choose a name that You can remember ;)

4. Within the router's interface look for something like "DHCP". There You will have to enter the IP adress You would like to assign to Your NeXT machine in ACCORDANCE to the MAC adress You've written down before - meaning: the router "discovers" the very special MAC adress of Your NeXT machine and therefor the router will provide a STATIC IP adress to this NeXT machine. As long as many routers differ a lot within their interfaces I'm not able to "show" You where to do what. Comment: I tried to assign the IP adress dynamically but for unknown reasons my NeXT machines didn't connect to my local net anymore, even not to the internet.

Ok, that's it for the router. Now NEXTSTEP...

5. Power on Your NeXT and log on as "root" (<- this is essential now). You will surely note that the boot process will take much longer while the ethernet cable is connected. Don't worry, everything will be ok. Just let it do it's job. Two times the NeXT will let You know, that something with the network is going wrong. Just ignore it and press "C" when asked for it to go on.

6. Within NEXTSTEP we're going to change the view of NEXTSTEP - this is the non-UNIX user part. To deal with UNIX commands without using the terminal You'll have to change the UNIX expert settings within the preference pane. With other words we would like to change the "standard" NEXTSTEP view from this:

to that:

7. Open the preferences pane and scroll to the very right. I know it's german language what You see but trust me, it LOOKS the same in English ;) Make the settings as shown in this picture:

Ok, first step done.

8. As "root" fire up "HostManager.app" within the "NextAdmin" directory:

9. In the menu of the HostManager.app You will notice a button called "Local...". Klick it. Following window will appear:

Watch this picture closely! The red arrow to the farmost left shows the location of that "Local.." button (just in case). Now from the left to the right, from top to down... Mark the second entry (something like "only use local domain"). You MUST provide a Hostname! Otherwise it will NOT work! You can choose whatever You want (it remembers me a bit of Windows 95 - 98) but do NOT use capitals!. Ok, the column in the middle.. Internet-adress on the top. Here You will have to enter the STATIC IP adress You have configured in Your router in accordance to the MAC adress of Your NeXT machine! NO auto configuration! The broadcast adress will configure automatically, if not, don't bother. Now the column to the right... "Netmask" demands the netmask You are using within Your router! As long as You are the only ones who will know this router configuration I can not provide any help or information to this! "Router" demands the IP adress of the router You are using.

10. Click on "Ok" (or whatever in Your language will accept the changed settings).

11. Now quit the "HostManager.app" and move over to "etc" > "hostconfig". Note: You will NOT see those files and directories if You did not follow step 6 of this tutorial!

12. Double click it (the file named "hostconfig").

13. VERIFY ALL OF THE SHOWN SETTINGS! THESE WILL AND HAVE TO DIFFER FROM THESE SHOWN IN THIS PICTURE!

14. Move over to the "etc" directory again. You will have to fire up "Edit" and will have to make a new file called

"resolv.config"

No quotes! This file is essential to make the NeXT machine able to resolve DNS entries. If this one is missing You will not be able to surf anywhere.

15. The file "resolv.config" just needs two entries:

In the first line You will have to write the name of Your Domain You have configured within Your router before IN THE EXACT WRITING AS YOU USED IN THE ROUTER! "nameserver" just wants to know the IP adress of Your router.

Save this file, log off and restart Your machine. Have fun browsing ;)

J

Any comments, corrections or whatever: please post them or write a note to me, others could need those informations!

kenjay

What brand and model of router are you using?

I used to be able to connect my NeXT to the internet using a Linksys 802.11B router by following the instructions at the 'old and deleted' TjL - Cable modem hook-up page],

But that Linksys was replaced with an Apple Airport Extreme [802.11G] router.

Now - I am confused how to configure the NeXT with the Apple router.

Jenne

I'm using a D-Link. I never used Apple hardware so I can not really help You in this, sorry :(

J

urquidez

Quote from: "kenjay"What brand and model of router are you using?

I used to be able to connect my NeXT to the internet using a Linksys 802.11B router by following the instructions at the 'old and deleted' TjL - Cable modem hook-up page],

But that Linksys was replaced with an Apple Airport Extreme [802.11G] router.

Now - I am confused how to configure the NeXT with the Apple router.

Hi Kenjay, It should be the same procedure as that old "cable modem" file, except that your /etc/hostconfig IP should be static in the range of the new Apple router's available IP pool. You should also change the Internet Address in the hostmanager.app to the same IP you designated in /etc/hostconfig under INETADDR.
The domain in the resolv.conf can be anything unless you use domain naming in your local network. It's the nameserver IP address that needs to point to your Apple router. It will resolve DNS to what it gets from your cable modem automagically. This is worked for me to get my cubes lurching along on the interwebs. Though, I'm using a netgear .11g router.

good luck :)

NeXTorDeath

Quote from: "Jenne"Save this file, log off and restart Your machine. Have fun browsing ;)  J  Any comments, corrections or whatever: please post them or write a note to me, others could need those informations!

Very thanks Jenne!! now i can surfing with all my computer (OS X + BeOS) and... DADAHHH: the NeXTstation!!!

Viele gruessen von Tessin!

Olivier

P.s. this post is effectued with my "pizza box"
--------------------------
Powered by RISC
*win95=Mac84*
*winXP=NeXT88*

Jenne

Ah Ticino!

Although "Olivier"doesn't sound very Ticinese I'm very happy to see somone else around here from Switzerland and another NeXT-Machine on the internet :)

Have fun! And keep the fires off the woods down there ;)

J

NeXTorDeath

Quote from: "Jenne"
Although "Olivier"doesn't sound very Ticinese
J

:lol:  :lol:  :lol: