Networking a NeXT machine - Step by step for non-UNIX users

Started by Jenne, April 27, 2007, 05:53:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

da9000

Quote from: "kenjay"
da9000 -

Thank you so much for inspiring me to look over my settings and to re-try my connection. I am now connected to the internet on my NeXTCube [Turbo Dimension - in case anyone wanted to know] . All of my settings were correct - but I had SPELLED the file name /etc/resolve.conf incorrectly!  :cry:

Glad I could help! Another NeXT on the web! :)

Thrax

Quote from: "helf"I haven't done this ( ihave it installed, but not configured) but samba should work fine on NeXT... and to access shares you can forget the hotsname and just do \\<ip addres of NeXT>\

Thats what I do at work, since I can remember ips beter than hostnames for some reason :P

Thanks, helf
I got it work rather more or less now using FTP.  :P  

I should of mentioned my purpose for asking was to obtain software.  I bought my NeXT stripped of software with no disk or CD for that matter so i needed a faster way to bring in software rather than the 1.44 disks and splitting larger files up! (not to mention i had to load the compression software as well)
The Samba documention was actually very useful as it showed how to adjust your PCs network settings to connect to the next. I had tried the Novell software that happened to be on but both the NeXt and PC only had client software.  I didn't try the Microsoft Unix Services because one member said it crashes and I only have dial-up so downloading it would of taken a day.

The bad news is that I've nearly filled my NeXt's 500MB drive up.   :shock:
NeXTstation TurboColor

Jenne

Quote from: "Thrax"The bad news is that I've nearly filled my NeXt's 500MB drive up.   :shock:

This is why I'm collecting almost every 2 GB SCSI HD that flips to my eyes...

J

kronoman

For everyone's information, these instructions work perfectly for x86, HPPA and SPARC as well.

Another tip: if your ISPs nameservers change frequently, or you can't seem to find out what their IPs are, and your router doesn't provide some kind of DNS proxy (most do, nowadays, but not all), then just add these two lines somewhere near the top of your /etc/resolv.conf:

nameserver 208.67.222.222
nameserver 208.67.220.220

These are the IP addresses for the OpenDNS resolvers, which work great.
NeXTstation Turbo Color|Sun SS20,Ultra 2,10,60,80,B2k|PowerMac G3,Quadra 950|SGI Indigo2, Power Indigo2, Fuel

ericj

All of the pictures are gone. Could you either write a text-only version or put the pictures back up?

Eric

SVPirate

** bump **

The pictures are still broken on this. I want to use it to setup my SPARCNeXT on my network but I can't see some of the vital info :(

kb7sqi

Check out TjL Cable Modem instructions for setting up the system on a regular network.  Works perfectly.  Here's a link to the copy on my site:

http://kb7sqi.com/files/misc/TjLs-Cable-Modem-Howto-for-NeXTStep.pdf

There's also also a folder w/ instructions/packages in the dhcp folder as well
in the misc directory.  I post a copy of the archives so people could find it
still.  Hope that helps.  Take care.

NeXTnewbe

Quote from: "kb7sqi"Check out TjL Cable Modem instructions for setting up the system on a regular network.  Works perfectly.  Here's a link to the copy on my site:

I just followed the instructions, I can ping all my internal network but i cannot ping or browse the internet

any ideas how to fix this issue

Thanks

helf

You can ping everything? Including your gateway? How about DNS servers?
*INACTIVE*

NeXTnewbe

Quote from: "helf"You can ping everything? Including your gateway? How about DNS servers?

I can ping my gateway
but can't ping dns server

any ideas?

neozeed

Quote from: "NeXTnewbe"
Quote from: "kb7sqi"Check out TjL Cable Modem instructions for setting up the system on a regular network.  Works perfectly.  Here's a link to the copy on my site:

I just followed the instructions, I can ping all my internal network but i cannot ping or browse the internet

any ideas how to fix this issue

Thanks

sounds like the default gateway isn't set...
what does

netstat -nr

say?  if there is no 0.0.0.0/0 route you can just add one as root....

route add 0.0.0.0 mask 0.0.0.0 192.168.1.1 1

if you gateway was 192.168.1.1 .....

From what I remember the network setup tool doesn't do the gateway correctly in the /etc/hostconfig file... or was it /etc/sysconfig?
# include <wittycomment.h>

NeXTnewbe

thanks

I add the default route but if I still not working

I got the following output from my netstat command
destination      gateway
127.0.0.1       127.0.0.1
default           192.168.1.254
192.168.1      192.168.1.110

where the 192.168.1 is my network and .110 y my cube

any help will be welcome

Thanks

helf

192.168.1? That isn't a complete IP address, you are missing the last segment.
*INACTIVE*

NeXTnewbe

Quote from: "helf"192.168.1? That isn't a complete IP address, you are missing the last segment.

i check again and that is the output, i guess it refers to 192.168.1.0/24

helf

huh. I've never noticed that. I'm not at home, or I'd check my NeXT out and see what it is spitting out. Have you tried the DHCP package?
*INACTIVE*