Networking a NeXT machine - Step by step for non-UNIX users

Started by Jenne, April 27, 2007, 05:53:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

NeXTnewbe

Quote from: "helf"huh. I've never noticed that. I'm not at home, or I'd check my NeXT out and see what it is spitting out. Have you tried the DHCP package?

not really, I prefer to use static, as I want to configure my NeXTcube as webserver

helf

*INACTIVE*

pitz

The output you provided below looks right -- well, assuming your gateway has an internal network IP address of 192.168.1.254.  I thought most gateways are configured to be 192.168.1.1 by default (isn't 254 reserved for some broadcast/multicast addressing?).

What the table is saying is that when your cube needs to talk to any other machine in your internal network (192.168.1.0/24), then it will use its 192.168.1.110 interface.  For other IP addresses (e.g., the Internet), then it could not use the other two entries and instead use the "default".

So in order to talk to, say 25.25.25.25, then it would have to go through 192.168.1.254. In order to go through to 192.168.1.254, it will use the 192.168.1 entry and use its 192.168.1.110 interface.

/Peter

Quote from: "NeXTnewbe"thanks

I add the default route but if I still not working

I got the following output from my netstat command
destination      gateway
127.0.0.1       127.0.0.1
default           192.168.1.254
192.168.1      192.168.1.110

where the 192.168.1 is my network and .110 y my cube

any help will be welcome

Thanks

helf

*INACTIVE*

NeXTnewbe

ok

I can now ping any IP outside / inside my network, I also got DNS working, but now

is working  :)

thanks guys, I need now to install the web server, !!

Thanks for any advise

NeXTsociety

OK, been reading all the threads on how to get my NeXT connected to the Internet.  The goods news, is I have things far enough set-up that I can use PING in the terminal to both PING inside my network and outside my network to computers in the Internet.  Now... comes my problem where I can't browse web sites.

I have followed all the threads and the TJLs .PDF but I am confused on what exactly needs to be in my RESOLV.CONFIG file.  

The 1st issue, is the Domain name as shown in the example from the TJLs .PDF.  I DO NOT understand how to make or find my domain.  The nameserver fields I feel I am OK and have 3 entries on that.  I used 208.67.220.220 and 208.67.222.222 and 4.2.2.2.  The 1st two is what my Airport Extreme has in it to do DNS.

So, here is what the TJLs shows.
domain cable.modem.com
nameserver 123.456.789.123
nameserver 123.456.789.124
nameserver 123.456.789.125

Where and how do I create and setup this domain?  The .PDF just states it takes for granit I am using cable.modem.com and I have no clue about how to make one.

So, help me with that one please.

Here are all my settings in case you all need them.

Hostmanager.app>>Local settings
Use Local domain only
Hosename set to myhost
nothing is in NIS Domain Name so it is blank
Internet Address was manually assigned an IP by me of 10.0.1.143
Broadcast Address is 10.0.1.254 (I guess on this but must be right if I can PING outside)
Netmask 255.255.255.0
Router 10.0.1.1

My Resolv.Config is as I shown above but with NO domain as I have no clue on how to make and get that.

Also, there are more than one /etc directory but I take it I was only to make a resolv.config file in the main /etc folder in the root directory and not the other one embedded in other folder.  I think there was one in a /me folder or something if memory serves.

So, I feel SO CLOSE.  What is it I am missing here.

My Apple Airport Extreme is set to give my computers IPs by DHCP but in the case of my Cube, I just manually set them to what I show above.  Hope that is OK to do.

Please help.  I have read all the threads and I am lost on this domain issue and maybe that is where my problem is.  I can't PING www.yahoo.com but can PING outside IPs so I am about there.

tj

*On a side note, I loaded Omniweb 1.0 (that is all I have at the moment) and instead of a URL typed a specific IP for a web site I go to and it did load it (other than all the things it choked on like pictures, etc...).  But, it did take me to the site partially.  So, I am so close.... Just need that little nudge and tip to get me connected normally.

neozeed

don't you mean resolv.conf?

NeXT Mach (nextcube) (ttyp0)

login: root
Last login: Sun Apr 11 22:51:30 from 10.0.1.29
nextcube:1# cat /etc/resolv.conf
search cable.rcn.com
nameserver 10.0.1.1
#nameserver 216.234.41.2
#nameserver 4.2.2.4
nextcube:2# ping www.cisco.com
PING origin-www.cisco.com: 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 72.163.4.161: icmp_seq=0. time=59. ms
^C
----origin-www.cisco.com PING Statistics----
1 packets transmitted, 1 packets received, 0% packet loss
round-trip (ms)  min/avg/max = 59/59/59
nextcube:3#
# include <wittycomment.h>

NeXTsociety

Holy crab boys and girls, me little OmniWeb 1.0 has brought up a webpage and resolv.conf seems to be OK now.

So, neozeed, you were spot on.  I started it all correct, named resolv.conf, but after changing it and changing it, my little brain started saying .conf but my fingers typed .config.

So, adjusting the name to .conf and now it works.

Which still leads me to, what exact /etc folder should the file be in.  I show a number of them on my NeXT so I have this file in all 3 for now.  hehehe.

I have one on root, then one in /usr and one in /private.  My guess, I only need the one in root main directory and not these others?

Also, I guess the whole DOMAIN name in the resolv.conf file is not needed?  I only have nameservers listed on mine.

Thanks!

tj

Quote from: "neozeed"don't you mean resolv.conf?

search cable.rcn.com
nameserver 10.0.1.1
#nameserver 216.234.41.2
#nameserver 4.2.2.4
^C

neozeed

Quote from: "NeXTsociety"Holy crab boys and girls, me little OmniWeb 1.0 has brought up a webpage and resolv.conf seems to be OK now.

So, neozeed, you were spot on.  I started it all correct, named resolv.conf, but after changing it and changing it, my little brain started saying .conf but my fingers typed .config.

So, adjusting the name to .conf and now it works.

Which still leads me to, what exact /etc folder should the file be in.  I show a number of them on my NeXT so I have this file in all 3 for now.  hehehe.

I have one on root, then one in /usr and one in /private.  My guess, I only need the one in root main directory and not these others?

Also, I guess the whole DOMAIN name in the resolv.conf file is not needed?  I only have nameservers listed on mine.

Thanks!

tj

Quote from: "neozeed"don't you mean resolv.conf?

search cable.rcn.com
nameserver 10.0.1.1
#nameserver 216.234.41.2
#nameserver 4.2.2.4
^C

Yeah it's got to be in /etc .... thats how the resolver works... The domain name isn't required, but a lot of people like to type in

ping bob

vs the whole

ping bob.mydomainnameisreallytoolong.com

But you've got the idea.

Welcome to the world of the internet! :D
# include <wittycomment.h>

NeXTsociety

OK, posting this from my NeXT.  My 1st NeXT forum message.  8-)

Happy to be alive on the Net with the NeXTcube!

tj