NFS from OPENSTEP to OS X?

Started by sebpayne, March 18, 2007, 09:32:36 am

Previous topic - Next topic

sebpayne

I have just got OPENSTEP 4.2 running in Parallels (I'm writing a step by step tutorial for my site) but I'm stuck on NFS. I know the network is working (I can ping google.com and other computers on the network from OPENSTEP) in Bridged mode. I have used SimpleNetworkStarter.app to set up the network and it has shared /General.

However, I can not for the life me access it with Mac OS X. I've tried using NFSManager which can find the share on 192.168.1.10 but will not mount and when I use the 'Connect to Server' option (with nfs://192.168.1.10/General), it says 'Invalid User Login details'. I've tried adding me@ and root@ to the login but no luck.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Seb

(Also - is there any way of getting a copy of WordPerfect for OPENSTEP?  :) )

helf

I have a copy of WP on my NEXTSTEP 3.3 slab. I don't know if it will run on OS4.2 but I can try and get a copy of it off the NeXT.
*INACTIVE*

sebpayne

That'd be great. Can you send it to sebpayne@mac.com? :)

Seb

helf

sure, take me a day or two to get to it though :)
*INACTIVE*

sebpayne

Did you ever manage to get that copy?

helf

oh poo, I totally forgot about it. I'm sorry. I will try and copy it to a floppy tonight and upload it if I can. you might want to send me a private message in about 6 hours if you are still at a computer to remind me :) i get email notifications.

sorry about that, been a hectic 2 weeks!
*INACTIVE*

sebpayne

Quote from: "helf"oh poo, I totally forgot about it. I'm sorry. I will try and copy it to a floppy tonight and upload it if I can. you might want to send me a private message in about 6 hours if you are still at a computer to remind me :) i get email notifications.

sorry about that, been a hectic 2 weeks!

Thanks helf! It's no problem. I'll ping you later.

helf

hey, I'm uploading the file to my shell account. its a 4.7mb zip... uploading that on dialup takes forever ;P

hopefully itll be of use to you :) if anyone else wants it, send me a private message. I'll private message you the URL for the download.

Its WordPerfect v1.01 for m68k NS3.3 (I dont know if its a FAT binary or what...)

Is this program up on any ftps yet? You all want to add it to the archives here? Or is it still considered commercial software you cant distribute widely... ?
*INACTIVE*

crimsonRE

Have you solved your NFS problem yet? Using NFSManager, you're actually dealing with the autonfsmountd daemon, with which I've had trouble at times - it works fine mounting from my server on some of my machines running NextStep, but not on others but I've never figured out why (and on my server I do have the filesystems exported to these machines correctly).

You can always do a direct mount (see the man page for 'mount') - works every time (& then you can put the commands into a shell script for easy running later). And see the man page for 'exports' if you're trying to do an NFS mount of the NeXT's filesystem from a different machine.

Cheers,
crimsonRE