Recommendations needed: Monitor(s)?

Started by ErikTheHack, May 20, 2007, 09:37:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ErikTheHack

I was wondering if anyone knows of a display that will work for an SGI Indy, HP 9000 712/80, and a SUN Sparcstation 20?

Preferably one that is readily available and best if it's an LCD TFT -- And hopefully not too gosh-darn expensive!

There's a couple of "odd men out" here so to speak: The Indy can't run NS/OS but is a SOG 13W3 video connector and the 712 has a VGA style DB15 video connector.

I have a 21" MegaPixel that's attached to my NeXTStation -- does anyone know if that would work for all of these?

My dream would be to have one display that could work for all the workstations and I could switch with a KVM -- obviously the NeXT could only have it's video routed via the KVM.

All suggestions welcome!
ND \'040 NeXTcube [SN: ABA0004306], NeXTStation Turbo Color ADB, HP PA-RISC 712/80, HP PA-RISC 712/100, Sun SPARCSTATION 5, Sun SPARCSTATION 20

kronoman

Here's my experiences on the matter:

I don't have an SGI (yet), but I do have a NeXT cube with ND. I've found that  nearly all monitors will work with the HP, and most with Suns, but the NeXT is much pickier. I further understand that in general, monitors that work with a NeXT will work with an SGI, so probably the 21" MegaPixel display should work fine, as long as it's multisync (I think they were, but I can't recall off the top of my head).

Supposedly NeXT, SGI and Sun all use sync-on-green, but I've found many monitors that work quite happily with a Sun, but display nothing at all from an ND. The one I'm using with my Cube is a 17" Sharp LCD, the model number of which I can't remember right now (LA-170A-B comes to mind, but I'm pretty sure that's wrong). It might work with an Indy, I'll test it with my Indigo2 when it arrives. It certainly works with: NeXT ND Cube, NeXTstation (Turbo) Color, Sun SPARCstation 10/20, Sun Ultra 2/10/60/80 (Creator3D), Sun Fire V210, PowerBook G4, Mac Quadra 950, any PC.
NeXTstation Turbo Color|Sun SS20,Ultra 2,10,60,80,B2k|PowerMac G3,Quadra 950|SGI Indigo2, Power Indigo2, Fuel

it68000

I have used a viewsonic LCD VX922 (SOG and multisync) with SGI (Indy, O2, Octane2) and a NEXTstation color http://www.nextcomputers.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=311&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=, as well as Mac and PC. Same results for an old EIZO crt F57. To connect monitor and computers I have also used a 13W3 to VGA adapter that was stated from the seller to be for SUN machines.
I've never had a SUN or a HP 9000, but shouldn't the HP 712/80 just work with normal PC monitors?
NEXTstation Turbo Color with NEXTSTEP 3.3, OPENSTEP 4.2 emulated on Parallels for PC, NEXTCube Dimension (25Mhz)

kronoman

In my experience, yes, the 712 does work with normal PC monitors, with the catch that AFAICT, the resolution is not configurable so the monitor MUST support 1280x1024 at minimum.
NeXTstation Turbo Color|Sun SS20,Ultra 2,10,60,80,B2k|PowerMac G3,Quadra 950|SGI Indigo2, Power Indigo2, Fuel

dlundh

Sun SparcStation 20 and SGI (Octane in my case) works very well with IBM 21" TFTs. You will need a 13w3 to VGA-adapter ofcourse.

da9000

Quote from: "kronoman"Supposedly NeXT, SGI and Sun all use sync-on-green

Suns use composite sync (RGB+1 more wire), while SyncOnGreen is 3 wires (RGB)

ErikTheHack

Wow, I love this place.  Such a wealth of NeXTy goodness!  Thanks for all the help and suggestions about the right display to get!

Anyway, I finally bought a Samsung SyncMaster 204B -- Actually I bought a Viewsonic VX922 first but THEN read here about the ADB vs. non-ADB issues with that display  :shock:

Well better late than never.  Anyway, I've got the SyncMaster working with my HPPA, Sun, SGI, and NeXT machines!!!  And boy the picture is great.  Even though it's not running in it's native rez in many cases it scales the NeXT rez up quite well!!!

I also managed to score a KVM setup on ebay that will allow me to use the same keyboard and mouse for Sun, HPPA, and SGI machines.  I also got this 8-way VGA switch and an ADB KVM.  In the end, I'll only have 2 keyboards and 2 mice to deal with for 2 suns, 2 HPPAs, 1 SGI, 2 NeXTs, and 3 vintage Macs.

Hog heaven!
ND \'040 NeXTcube [SN: ABA0004306], NeXTStation Turbo Color ADB, HP PA-RISC 712/80, HP PA-RISC 712/100, Sun SPARCSTATION 5, Sun SPARCSTATION 20