Printing to an HP attached to Airport Express

Started by MauiBoy, October 02, 2007, 05:37:59 am

Previous topic - Next topic

MauiBoy

Anyone here successfully printed from a NeXT computer to a printer attached to an Airport Express?  I'm assuming that NEXTSTEP/OPENSTEP can send print jobs via lpr to another printer besides just a NeXT printer.  And, I also assume that the Airport Express just provides an IP Printing solution with a nice Rendezvous (Bonjour) interface.  I've got an HP 1200 laser printer shared from my Airport Express, and I'd love to be able to use it to print off some of the documentation.

Anyone made it work before?

Shuren

For my experience, I see only two ways to attach printers to the NeXT: a serial local printer, or a remote JetDirect printer. I use the second way to print to a Linux printing server from NeXTstation (with CUPS and inetd that emulates JetDirect protocol). In the Administration Manual (http://www.channelu.com/NeXT/NeXTStep/3.3/nsa/index.html) also talking about NetWare support.

ericj

Quote from: "Shuren"For my experience, I see only two ways to attach printers to the NeXT: a serial local printer, or a remote JetDirect printer. I use the second way to print to a Linux printing server from NeXTstation (with CUPS and inetd that emulates JetDirect protocol). In the Administration Manual (http://www.channelu.com/NeXT/NeXTStep/3.3/nsa/index.html) also talking about NetWare support.

How did you do it? I have a Photosmart 3210 connected via JetDirect to my Ubuntu box, and I keep trying to use it with OS 4.2 in VMware using the instructions from the manual you pointed to, but I cannot get it to print anything. I checked the CUPS log on the host, and I didn't see anything other than something related to NoMachine NX (which I had installed when I experienced this error). Printing from the host works normally, and networking on the OS virtual machine works normally.

Eric

One last note: The printer can use PostScript Level III.

Shuren

Well,
first I tell to CUPS server to listen in LAN, changing cupsd.conf like this:

< location >
Order Deny,Allow
Deny From All
Allow From 127.0.0.1
Allow From 192.168.1.*
< / location >

then I emulate JetDirect protocol with Internet Superdaemon (Inetd), adding this line in inetd.conf:

9100 stream tcp nowait lp /usr/bin/lp lp -d < printername >

If this is not sufficient, allow raw data in /etc/cups/mime.types and /etc/cups/mime.convs.
Hope this help!

ericj

Quote from: "Shuren"Well,
first I tell to CUPS server to listen in LAN, changing cupsd.conf like this:

< location >
Order Deny,Allow
Deny From All
Allow From 127.0.0.1
Allow From 192.168.1.*
< / location >

then I emulate JetDirect protocol with Internet Superdaemon (Inetd), adding this line in inetd.conf:

9100 stream tcp nowait lp /usr/bin/lp lp -d < printername >

If this is not sufficient, allow raw data in /etc/cups/mime.types and /etc/cups/mime.convs.
Hope this help!

OK, works now! (Black and white only, though :()

Eric