OPENSTEP on a PowerPC Mac with Emulation?

Started by sebpayne, May 17, 2007, 08:48:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

sebpayne

Hi NeXties

I've been running OPENSTEP 4.2 very nicely with VMWare Fusion on my MacBook Pro but I find I take my little 12" PowerBook more places and I was attempting to get OPENSTEP running on it.

I see that a port of Qemu (called simply Q) exists for Mac OS X to emulate Intel chips. I tried this but the mouse didn't work and installation locked after a while. Any other suggestions? I've read about VirtualPC but I also hear it is very slow.

Thanks

(I also nearly bought a NeXTstation Turbo Colour from eBay at a bargain price but I chickened out at the last minue when I dreaded to think what the other residents of my house would say. I regret it so much - I'll probably never get a NeXT machine now as they never come up on eBay UK :( )

da9000

Quote from: "sebpayne"after a while. Any other suggestions? I've read about VirtualPC but I also hear it is very slow.

I've not personally tried it, but I used to run Windblows XP on a 1GB 1.25Ghz G4 under VirtualPC 7.x and it was bareable (however bareable Windoze can be...). So I assume NeXTSTEP or OpenSTEP will be much more bareable, assuming that you can get them installed... But I wouldn't try it with less memory.

Quote from: "sebpayne"... I regret it so much - I'll probably never get a NeXT machine now as they never come up on eBay UK :( )

Who are they to say anything!? :p  NeXT time will be your time...

multi

Quote from: "sebpayne"Hi NeXties

I've been running OPENSTEP 4.2 very nicely with VMWare Fusion on my MacBook Pro but I find I take my little 12" PowerBook more places and I was attempting to get OPENSTEP running on it.

VPC7 on my ibook 700mhz/384meg was slow(unbearable) with openstep 4.2.  On my pismo 400mhz/1gig using vpc5 it works perfectly fine. I haven't gotten around to trying vpc5 on the ibook to see if the issue was with the version of vpc, but I dont really plan on doing that anytime soon(no need, I have many other boxes that run ns or os already). So, vpc5 on an oldass pismo works great for me.

note: both the ibook and pismos run OSX 10.4.x(10.4.9 presently)

mtroulis

Hi to all of you. There is no way to express my feelings for this forum. Thank you guys for this fantastic forum.

I have a MacBookPro and I would like to install Open step 4.2 on the parallels SW. There is a way for some one to tell me step by step how to do it?

Thanks.

Manos