NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
SPARCSTATION 20 - No Video

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Sun / HPPA Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ErikTheHack

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:18 pm    Post subject: SPARCSTATION 20 - No Video Reply with quote

I apologize in advance that this is more of a Sun hardware question than a NeXT software one.

I've got a seemingly brand-new sparcstation 20 that came with 2 memory modules and that's about it.

I've added a new 2 GB HDD and a VSIMM Onboard SX Graphics module.

So, I assume with the SCSI CD-ROM drive attached I would think I should _now_ be able to install Solaris however when I boot the machine everything sounds and looks OK. Lights on keyboard flash, system beeps, the station's corner power light comes on green and solid. Fans are spinning, drive is spinning, it makes kind of a breif "honk" or "buzz" sound (not sure what this is -- sound effect?). But then no mater how long I wait nothing comes up on the screen.

What have I missed? What's wrong? What do I need to configure?

Thanks in advance!
kb7sqi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grab a serial null modem cable. Hook it upto serial port A & then hook the other end upto a laptop. Set your terminal program to 9600, 8, N, 1. Power on the Sparc 20 & you should see output on the terminal. Hopefully it'll give you some diagnostics output. If you can get it all the way to the OK prompt after the banner, type in the following:

setenv diag-level max
setenv diag-switch? true
power-off

Then turn the Sparc 20 back on. Now the system will do a complete max diags. If something fails, it should show it. After testing, if nothing shows up, then, do the following:

show-post-results
setenv diag-level min
setenv diag-switch? false
set-defaults
reset-all

It's possible the OBP has incorrect settings for the framebuffer.

Another way to completely reset the OBP to it's defaults is to hold down STOP-N and power the system on.

Post your results to the show-post-results here or email them to me. Smile If it does show failures while doing it's extended diags, send the logs to me. I can try to help you out. Hope that helps. Take care.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ErikTheHack

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info! I had a sneaking suspicion that you'd be the one to reply Very Happy

Looks like I'll need to find my null modem adaptor and decide what to connect it to (since I don't have a PeeCee) and then track down the correct adaptor(s). Perhaps this is a job for the good 'ol Newton 2000 -- I've always dreamed of using it this way.

Now where did I put all those old Newton serial cables and stuff...???
kb7sqi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ErikTheHack wrote:
Thanks for the info! I had a sneaking suspicion that you'd be the one to reply Very Happy

Looks like I'll need to find my null modem adaptor and decide what to connect it to (since I don't have a PeeCee) and then track down the correct adaptor(s). Perhaps this is a job for the good 'ol Newton 2000 -- I've always dreamed of using it this way.

Now where did I put all those old Newton serial cables and stuff...???

Well, I'd hope I'd reply since I work on Sun stuff for my job. Wink Yeah, a Newton/Palm w/ a serial cable will work for what you're going to do. I've used an old Palm many times as a serial console.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Sun / HPPA Hardware All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: