NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
How long have you been a NeXTSTEP/OPENSTEP User?

View previous topic :: View next topic  

How long have you been a NeXTSTEP/OPENSTEP User?
< 1 Year
10%
 10%  [ 3 ]
1-5 Years
41%
 41%  [ 12 ]
6-10 Years
17%
 17%  [ 5 ]
11-15 Years
20%
 20%  [ 6 ]
16-20 Years
6%
 6%  [ 2 ]
20+ Years -- From the betas
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 29

ErikTheHack

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:29 am    Post subject: How long have you been a NeXTSTEP/OPENSTEP User? Reply with quote

I was just wondering how long people here have been into the NeXT thang.

As for myself, I was interested from the first time I read about Steve Jobs new company -- it was my senior year of high school. 1985/1986 -- pretty much right after Steve "left" Apple.

I kept in the loop with what they were doing at NeXT as much as I could and after the '88 release of the first cube I was jonesing to get mu hands on one but even though I had an in to being able to buy one (my dad worked up at UCSD so he was eligible to purchase) I didn't have that kind of money.

I did get to visit some cubes in the music lab up at UCSD in '89 though and that just made me want one even more.

I was buying all the books as they came out to "know" the system and saving every penny I could but that was a lot of pennies to save Shocked

I finally got a break in Fall of '91 when I came across an interesting classified ad in our local free weekly computer magazine which was selling a "black cube-shaped computer" which the owner knew nothing about for $400.00. I thought "could it be?" and called the guy. Turns out the guy was the owner of a self-storage place and one of the tenants had gone missing long enough for the owner to clean out his storage. All he had was the cube itself. No keyboard, mouse, or display. Once he described it to me I rushed over with the cash. $400.00 was still a crap-load of cash to me at the time but NeXT who was selling '040@25MHz cubes at that time had a base price of like $4000.00 so it was quite a deal! BTW, I checked the serial with SDPD because I was worried I'd just bought something stolen but as far as they could tell it was not.

Anyway, a couple of weeks later I was able to buy a new keyboard and mouse and a used 2-bit MegaPixel from one of the members of the SDNUG.

A couple of years later I bought a NeXTStation Turbo Color ADB setup with the Hitachi 20" through a friend of mine that went up when they sold off the stock from the NeXT hardware factory.

Of course I also build a real nice custom NSFIP system that I used quite a lot for a couple of years but the black hardware has always been at my side.

And of course I'm still running NeXTSTEP on black, Sun, and HP hardware side by side with OS X today.

It's been a great 20+ year ride.

Last edited by ErikTheHack on Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:41 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ErikTheHack

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: How long have you been a NeXTSTEP/OPENSTEP User? Reply with quote

ErikTheHack wrote:
...it was my senior year of high school. 1995/1996 -- pretty much right after Steve "left" Apple.

Embarassed Oh, Duh!!! Correcting myself here that's __1985/1986__

I guess my subconscious didn't want me to admit I'm 40 now Sad
rice0067

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw nextstations in the early 90s at University of Minnesota, didn't know what they were but thought they looked cool.
When I went to school there in 96 they were all gone Sad...
I ordered a nextstation color from blackhole in 1997 and have been playing around with them off and on since.
neozeed

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking at first only 5 years.......

But you know it's funny I saw them (cubes) at UM but of course we weren't allowed near them, and the first NeXT like thing I got was OS X Server 1.0 which was what? 1999?

How the time has flown!
kb7sqi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually started out w/ NEXTSTEP for x86. I picked up a copy of 3.1 User that was still sealed for something like $30(It was a steal! The guy who I got it from, had no clue what it was!). That was while I was stationed up in Alaska so it was somewhere between 1995-1996. I know I had been up there at least a year before purchasing it. I first got interested in NeXT systems when they first came out, but being a starving college student @ the time, I knew I couldn't afford one. Sad I installed it on a spare x86 box I had at the time that was running NetBSD. While I was stationed in AK, I mostly used Mac's & still had an Amiga 4000/Toaster system & a few Atari ST's & a loaded Apple IIgs. Wink I was running AU/X & NetBSD mostly on Macs. Anyway, seeing NEXTSTEP for the first time just blew me away. I fell in love w/ the OS right away. Bad thing was, shortly after that, I was too busy w/ deployments, etc. So my time to use NEXTSTEP was limited. It wasn't till after I got to NC in '97 that I really got to spend anytime using it. I had a customer that I did some consulting for that actually asked me to look for a NeXT system for him. He was doing some custom software work. So I started looking. Eventually I picked up James Mooseman's personal Turbo Color Slab. Anyone remember him? Wink After getting it, I knew I couldn't let it go. LOL. It became my personal system that I still have to this day. I turned around & ended up picking up several systems. I had a Turbo Cube w/ Dimension. Loved that box. I also picked up several other Turbo Color Slabs & a couple of Mono Systems. I just loved the m68k systems. I still have 4 Slabs. Of course, I think every one know how the rest of the story goes. I ended up starting the rest of the hardware collection. 110Mhz Sparc running OPENSTEP 4.2 which is still serving as my web server, the 3 HP Geckos's I picked up for $15. I'm still running the 100Mhz one and of course I have 1 x86 desktop running OPENSTEP 4.2 along w/ the Thinkpads 765L & 560E both running the same. I also run OPENSTEP virtually under Linux, Mac OSX & OpenSolaris as well. I never go far w/ out some kind of "NeXT" system going w/ me. Wink Time sure flies.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ErikTheHack

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far most respondents have found the NeXT religion in the last five years. I wonder why this is?

Cheap black hardware? Mystique? Mac OS X?

Interesting. I suppose a component of it could be age of respondents. I know a lot of youngsters are finding "vintage" computing fun.

Blows me away that the cube is 20 years old this year.

We should have a party with a black cube-shaped cake Wink
pentium

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much a solid year now.
I got my first copy of NS 3.3 for the Intel platform and since then I have been using it on and off as something to practice on until my Cube is fully up and running later this year.

-NeXT 68040 Cube with NS 3.3 and 64Mb ram
Jenne

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: How long have you been a NeXTSTEP/OPENSTEP User? Reply with quote

ErikTheHack wrote:
I guess my subconscious didn't want me to admit I'm 40 now Sad

Don't worry, You are not the only one Wink And it isn't that bad! Think of all the ladies that will discover the beauty of a slightly aged but wise looking man in his best years!

Anyway, I've never been a user in common means, in fact I knew quite a lot about it when I was young but I never got my hands on these boxes. This changed when I got myself a cube pretty damn cheap over here almost four years ago now. I had some machines (Spectrum, Amiga, Atari, IBM, Apple) and I really used these, but now it's time for me to discover the treasures of the past - although I'm no youngster anymore.

J
tomaz

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What counts as having been a "NeXTStep/OpenStep user"? I first got to see and play with NextStep at Stanford before NeXT went public with it. I wasn't told what it was at the time, though, and I don't remember seeing an unusual machine like a black cube; I thought I was looking at a Sun. It was definitively running NextStep, however, although I didn't realize this until years later. I distinctly recall the characteristic tear-off black-and-gray NextStep menus, plus I got to take away with me a printout of the Objective C manual (strangely dated 1985; I have been unable to reconstruct the date of my visit, which was either in the summer of 1985 or 1986; 1985 would make more sense given what was going on in my own life at the time, but with hindsight given the dates of Next's founding, that seems hardly possible), which I still have. I didn't buy my own machine until 1992, however - a Turbo Color Station (still in pristine condition and still running very nicely).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
vergil

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:48 pm    Post subject: Went with the technically correct answer... Reply with quote

...which was < 1yr, but that's only because I only recently acquired a slab.

If you count gnustep (which I didn't) or NS Lozenge (sorry, that's OSX + Aqua) probably closer to 8 years.

Two days into fussing over the box, and I'm really blown away by its elegance. Too bad I was a too-broke-for-a-pc high school kid when NeXT was in its heyday.
devocite

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:23 pm    Post subject: University of Missouri (MU) NeXT lab. Reply with quote

I use to spend hours in the NeXT labs at the U of Mo. They had rows and rows of these magnificent devices. I spend hours there, learning about the unix environment, and writing C code.

When NeXT released their x86 port of 3.1 (later upgraded to 3.3) I scrapped every dime to buy it, so I could sit in my dorm and wowed all my Engineering, and Computer Sci. buds with my NeXT. The painful part, when I wanted to compile C code, I still had to hoof to the next lab, compile stuff, and sneaker-net it back to my dorm.

This lack of compiler tools drove me to switch to NetBSD 1.0 (mostly because of the NeXT BSD 4.3 roots), and before I knew it, my beloved NeXT 3.3 could not deal with the all the new hardware, and I still had no compiler tools for NeXT.
After I got a 'real' job and started making 'real' money, I contacted NeXT to buy the full version of OpenStep with developer tools and all, but at that point they were not interested in selling stuff, as they were transitioning to Apple.

These days I still run NetBSD, and because I still can't get enough of the NeXT UI, I run the Windowmaker Window Manager, to this day.
I recently pulled out the old CD, and loaded NS 3.3 x86 under VMworkstation, and though Windowmaker tried very hard to emulate the look of NeXT, the look of the real thing is just magical (thought I do miss window shading when on NeXT Smile )

So now I'm actively working on getting my NeXT 3.3 x86 up to a modern state. With the help of a fantastic board member, I have GNU C compiler and had working nightly at unraveling the mysteries of compiling under a NeXT environment.

Once I have a better feel for the ins and outs of NeXT compiling, I would like to port pkgsrc, which would help automate and make NeXT software more available to the average users who really doesn't want to edit configure, Makefile, etc. just some they can get an updated grep or ptheads....

Last night my wife finally subcame to my mentioning of "next" and I showed her, she thought it looked nice, and especially thought the shaking off of a invalid username/password was neat.

Best regards!

- jam
djb

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw my first NeXT in 1991-92 in Nova Scotia. It was in my university library, I was eager to play with this single machine..

In 1998 I landed a job administering a Radiology PACS network on x86 machines. I did that for 2 years and bought myself a slab for fun home use.

I used that slab for all my papers in law school over 2000-2003 in .rtf and used the sneaker net to print them.

Now the slab sits at my parents place, waiting to be turned on again. Until then, the Mac OSX serves its purpose. But I will always miss my NeXT.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: