NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
CPU Upgrades for B&W G3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
blackcube

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 6:59 am    Post subject: CPU Upgrades for B&W G3 Reply with quote

What is the best cpu upgrades for a B&W G3? I'm running Tiger on my Rev2 G3-450. With a full gig of ram it's prety responsive but maybe I would like a bit more speed. Any suggestions? Has anyone used the PowerLogix or XLR8 by Daystar? I noticed that PowerLogix (I think) had a 1.1ghz G4 zif for the B&W.
itomato

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xlr8yourmac has CPU reviews. They were always good to me:
http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/g3reviews.html

There's a searchable database, too:
http://forums.xlr8yourmac.com/cpureview.lasso
Andreas

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: CPU Upgrades for B&W G3 Reply with quote

blackcube wrote:
maybe I would like a bit more speed. Any suggestions?

purchasing a G4 one? A complete AGP G4 should be less expensive than the CPU upgrades.
brams

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to agree with Andreas, it's going to cost about 280 bucks for the Powerlogix CPU. Is it worth spending that amount on a B&W.

How much is it going to cost to get an AGP Mac.

That said if I was too chose, it would have to be.

1. Sonnet/Daystar

2. OWC

3. PowerLogix

There is a full list here:

http://www.everymac.com/upgrade_cards/by_system/powermac_g3_blue.html

From what I can see the Powerlogix is a G3 not a G4, and if my Pismo running Tiger is anything to go by, the 550mhz G4 I fitted is much much more responsive than the 500 G3 it replaced.
Lateralus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The PowerLogix G3, hands down. Get the 1GHz model though. Every 750GX I've seen has run at 1.1GHz without issues, so don't pay the extra $80~. Because AFAIK, IBM doesn't MFR a 1.1GHz rated part.

Anyways, the main advantage to the 750GX is that is has 1MB of L2 cache running at full speed. That, combined with its massive clock speed advantage over the G4/7400 based upgrades makes it faster in every aspect of performance with the only exception being computations that make *massive* use of the AltiVec engine.

I've been through just about every type of ZIF upgrade. First hand experience comparing even the rare 650MHz G4/7410 upgrade to the 1.1GHz 750GX yielded a pretty clear win for the G3, particularly in general system responsiveness.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Otto

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lateralus wrote:
The PowerLogix G3, hands down. Get the 1GHz model though. Every 750GX I've seen has run at 1.1GHz without issues, so don't pay the extra $80~. Because AFAIK, IBM doesn't MFR a 1.1GHz rated part.

+1 Absolutely agree on that one.
brams

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had two poor experiences with PowerLogix, I fried a 604E PowerSurge CPU daughter card with a Mach 9R accelerator, only to receive a recall notice via email minuets after I'd fried it, I had to send the CPU card back to the US at my cost for them too rectify their mistake. Granted they owned up to the problem and fixed it, however it cost me 35 bucks to send it back though, money I could have spent on something else.

I had a G4 350 PowerSurge card that was flaky in my 8500, random crashes, file transfers using onboard ethernet would corrupt (large .sit files would not unstuff), it would not even boot in my Power Computing Power Tower Pro, it did however work OK when I sold it to my friend who had a Mach5 8600/250.

I did have a good expeience with a G3 300/300 PowerSurge daugher card, but I had to file the location slot a bit wider as it would not push home into the logicboard socket.

Going back to the Power Tower, I fitted a NewerTech G4 350 and it worked fine, as it also did in the 8500.

I grant you, PowerLogix are usually the first company to come out with new ideas, or a nice twist on how to combat Apple in their efforts to thwart upgrade companies/upgraders, they do seem to push the envelope more than the other upgrade companies and I admire them for that. No doubt there are countless people who have never had an issue with their products

I recently did some online research into upgrading my Pismo 500 to G4 power and thought of getting the 900mhz/1.0ghz PowerLogix upgrade instead of the G4, after reading in several places that a few people where putting them in and getting error tones (4 or 5 beeps during post) and that they failed after a few weeks I decided against it, and got a Wegener Media G4 550 with which I am very pleased with the service, quality and price of the upgrade from this little know CPU upgrade company.

If you read the forums at AccelerateYourMac there are a few people who have had more aggravation with PowerLogix upgardes than other makes.

As they say, your milage may vary

Last edited by brams on Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:37 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Lateralus

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I normally would warn against PowerLogix if it weren't for two things;

1) Any issues PowerLogix has had in the past five years as far as quality have pertainted to everything other than their ZIF upgrades and PCI Power Mac upgrades. PowerLogix' ZIF and PCI designs seem to be flawless.

2) OWC has now taken over support for PowerLogix and apparently customer support stories are 180'ing because of it.

That said, I did have an issue with a 900MHz 750FX ZIF I haad purchased where it was essentially dead on arrival. I called their support, before it had gone to OWC, they issued me an RMA and said they would ship my replacement as soon as my RMA arrived to them. However, I explained that this was for my only accessible computer and I had already sold off the original CPU so I couldn't fall back to it.

What did they do?

They sent my replacement processor on its way to me the same day I sent the defective one off to them. It was a nice gesture on their part and it made me a happy customer. I had the replacement ZIF running for several months with nary an issue.

But regardless of the customer support issues, which I don't think exist anymore, the fact of the matter is that PowerLogix does indeed offer the best ZIF solution on the market. It is competitively priced with competing upgrades that offer much less performance.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Apple Hardware All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: