NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
How can I modify a 152 powersupply to work without CRT??

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sdinet

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:13 am    Post subject: How can I modify a 152 powersupply to work without CRT?? Reply with quote

I have a NeXT Cube with a 152 part number power supply. It requires the extra draw of the the NeXT CRT monitor in order to powerup.

But I am using a custom made DB19 Y cable, so I can hook it up to a LCD and Soundbox. It works when I use a 983 Power Supply, but not with this 152 power supply.

Is there any way to modify this power supply so it will power up without using the NeXT CRT?
cuby

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you checked the NeXT FAQ?

http://www.channelu.com/NeXT/NewNeXTFAQ/NNeXTFAQ.5.1.html

Quote:
If you have an older cube (030 motherboard) then you will need to be sure that the box draws more power than just for the motherboard in order for the machine to stay on. This can happen in ONE of two ways- 1) You have a disk drive, or other power-drawing internal peripheral connected and in use (not that uncommon), -or- 2) You connect a POWER resistor (20 Ohm, at least 20 Watt) across pins 12 and 13 (as labeled for the DB-19 diagram). I do not recommend the power resistor approach, as the resistor gets _very_ hot and remains an active circuit for the time the machine is on.

I'm not sure if the 152 power supply comes from an upgraded 030 Cube, but you might give this a try.

Hope that helps,
Michael
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: