NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
My Gecko running NEXTSTEP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Sun / HPPA Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hanul

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:51 am    Post subject: My Gecko running NEXTSTEP Reply with quote

I set up my Gecko again. It is an 712/100 with 192MB RAM and a 2GB disk. This is the fastest 712 available and RAM is max'ed out. The Apple CD300 is waiting to be connected, missing the proper SCSI cable.

It used to be a dual boot system with HP-UX on an external hard drive. This way, the external disk could be shut off, when NEXTSTEP was running, because NS always asked to initialize the external disk, as it does not understand the filesystem HP-UX uses. I sold the hard disk with another 712 box.

I wish there would be a port of Firefox 2 for NS as there is one for HP-UX 11.11, which runs ok on the Gecko.

It took me some research to find the right HP LCD, which is able to sync on green. Indeed most of the more recent HP "business line" monitors can SOG, while all of the consumer line ones cannot. It looks like all LG and Philips LCDs can sync-on-green, as at least some Samsung. Eizo should do, too, but is expensive.

The system is able to print to a modern networked HP OfficeJet (model 7310) using a JetPilot driver for the HP DeskJet 1200C. I guess, printer drivers haven't changed that much. Mail and VNC are waiting for a proper setup.
kb7sqi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Hanul!
Welcome back to the forums! Smile How's things going? It's good to see your Gecko going again. Looks an like mine. lol. Hit me up on AIM/MSN sometime. It'd be good to catch up? How's Markus? Take care!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Empathy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

/offtopic

Hello kb7sqi, could you please answer my private message? I can't seem to find you available on Y!M.

Thanks.
kb7sqi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Empathy wrote:
/offtopic

Hello kb7sqi, could you please answer my private message? I can't seem to find you available on Y!M.

Thanks.

Sorry! I missed it. Messaged & even if I'm "away" on IM, go ahead & IM me. I work all kinds of crazy hours. Smile Take care.

But back on topic, that is one nice Gecko. Wink Looks like it needs some apps loaded onto it though! lol
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
hanul

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I set up a new user, so the desktop is still "clean" Wink I have the usual apps already installed (Lighthouse etc.). I would like to try Mathematica, but that's is at least a $50 investment...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Sun / HPPA Hardware All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: