NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
A Happy NeXTStation Color

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bkmoore

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:14 am    Post subject: A Happy NeXTStation Color Reply with quote

After seeing tone007's NeXT Cube, I thought I'd share a picture of my NeXTStation. I started collecting NeXTStation parts in early January. It took a while, but I finally got a complete NeXTStation Color together.

http://gallery.me.com/bkmoore#100046/P2240209&bgcolor=black

So all in all, I think this is a happy NeXTStation. I had dreamed of owning one of these since about 1992. I don't know why I didn't get one sooner, other than Mac OS X got in the way. I'm amazed at how fast this system is on very old hardware.

Brian Moore
tone007

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's NeXTerrific.
sdinet

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks awesome, great setup!
kb7sqi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sdinet wrote:
looks awesome, great setup!

Nice setup. I noticed not too many people have the older non-ADB keyboard. I know I had to look forever for mine. Smile

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
bkmoore

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All,

Thanks for all the help from the community in finding parts. I couldn't have gotten it up and running without the NS 3.3 ISO images from kb7sqi, so thank you.

The keyboard is in very good condition. It was very dirty when I got it. I very carefully removed all the keys and hand cleaned each one with a little water and dish soap. When I reassembled it, it looked almost new. I'm amazed at the quality and workmanship of the materials that went into it. The keyboard feels like an early Mac 128 keyboard with a very positive tactile response. It makes my modern iMac almost feel cheep by comparison.

The computer and case were in very good condition. I just had to clean them a bit with a little TLC. Also, I managed to find a compete set of original NeXT Cables. It was a bit of a scavenger hunt getting all the parts, but that's what made the project fun.

Right now I'm trying to assemble a complete set of documentation for the NeXTStation and for NeXTSTEP 3.3. Another scavenger hunt...

Brian Moore
kb7sqi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bkmoore wrote:
All,

Thanks for all the help from the community in finding parts. I couldn't have gotten it up and running without the NS 3.3 ISO images from kb7sqi, so thank you.

The keyboard is in very good condition. It was very dirty when I got it. I very carefully removed all the keys and hand cleaned each one with a little water and dish soap. When I reassembled it, it looked almost new. I'm amazed at the quality and workmanship of the materials that went into it. The keyboard feels like an early Mac 128 keyboard with a very positive tactile response. It makes my modern iMac almost feel cheep by comparison.

The computer and case were in very good condition. I just had to clean them a bit with a little TLC. Also, I managed to find a compete set of original NeXT Cables. It was a bit of a scavenger hunt getting all the parts, but that's what made the project fun.

Right now I'm trying to assemble a complete set of documentation for the NeXTStation and for NeXTSTEP 3.3. Another scavenger hunt...

Brian Moore

Hey Brian,
I agree, the original Mac keyboards/NeXT keyboards were built to last & I also like the feel while typing on them compared to an ADB NeXT keyboard or newer Mac keyboards. But others seem to prefer the ADB keyboard. Thank goodness there's a choice. lol. Good luck in the quest for all the documentation. I know I paid more for shipping than anything. lol. Take care.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: