NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
someone is smoking crack trying for this $$$ price

View previous topic :: View next topic  
helf

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:50 am    Post subject: someone is smoking crack trying for this $$$ price Reply with quote

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190288394206
pentium

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And they don't even supply the LCD screen. Razz

-NeXT 68040 Cube with NS 3.3 and 64Mb ram
bkmoore

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he bought it on German eBay a month ago for 600 Eur. Good on him if he finds a buyer.
chancehooper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: someone is smoking crack trying for this $$$ price Reply with quote

helf wrote:
http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190288394206

A typo when writing the listing, maybe? Possibly he meant 390 Euros...even so, that's still steep as a starting bid. Common sense says you'd start at maybe 150 Euros and set a reserve of, say, 400... basically he's over-bid when he bought and is now trying to sting another mug... I mean, for £3000 (which is what he's asking), I could, I feel, muy a Turbo Cube, with basically everything in it - multiple Dimension boards, CDROM, the lot....and probably a maxed-out mono and color slab (and possibly a turbo and turbo colour, too) - all with displays...and probably pay for the shipping from thh US, too. Unless this was *the* machine Tim berners-Lee made the Interweb on, or Steve Jobs' own box, I think this guy's nuts!

For example, I know that, for that cost, I could buy: at least 4 Silicon Graphics Origin 2000 Deskside supercomputers, each with 8 CPUS, 2 GB of RAM and god knows what else, and still have the cash to hire a van for the weekend and pick them up... Or 2 Deskside Onyx 2 Inifinite Reality machines - realtime 3d Generation to blow your mind (again, with van-hire and fuel costs included)... Or how about a Cluster of 20 SGI Octane Workstations for your 3d and SETI@Home tinkering? Or about 60 Iris Indigos?

Or, if you're into Apple/NeXT/Mr. Jobs - how about one of every significant Apple Macintosh produced? I mean, starting with the Mac all-in-one/SE through Mac Classic, Mac IIvi/FX, Colour Classic, Quadra, Powerbook, Duo, LC, Performa, PowerPC, Powermac G3, iMac G3, Powermac G4, iBook, Powerbook G3, and probably, an iMac G4, Powermac G5, Powerbook G4, and iMac G5, too... Hell, I've got about half that collection already and I know that (aside from the first-batch Powermac G4 I bought brand new for £LOTS) it cost me no more than about £100 for anything...Hell, even the still-quick G5 Powermacs are tumbling in cost. I reckon that lot would go for no more than £2000-£2500 and most of that would be the G5 powermac.

I'm off to play Colombos' Mystery Capers on my Newton before I get too annoyed at this person's idiocy!
bkmoore

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chance,

There's a guy on YouTube who has everything you mentioned above and then some. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pmoc4dd_LnE. It's really impressive how he has managed to display so many running macintoshes in what looks like an Apple Store in his basement. He even has a partial NeXT Cube. Maybe someone could help him out with getting a case for it.

Brian Moore
niteshooter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Brian, thanks for the link.

I've seen still photos of his collection but the video was cool.

The iMacs he used for the table looked empty, wonder if he has connections into Ikea as the store up here in Toronto had several dozen empty one's they used for display when the iMacs first came out and if you looked through their catalogs during that time most of the computers in the photos were Macs.

Must be nice to have the budget to set up those shelf units and the space though, truly amazing setup.

Kevin
chancehooper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bkmoore wrote:
chance,

There's a guy on YouTube who has everything you mentioned above and then some. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pmoc4dd_LnE. It's really impressive how he has managed to display so many running macintoshes in what looks like an Apple Store in his basement. He even has a partial NeXT Cube. Maybe someone could help him out with getting a case for it.

Brian Moore

That's cool - I think I've seen that guy's stuff before on an old mac forum...

I really need to sort my collection out and get organized - iMac g3 blue Dalmatian is my daily driver, along with an sgi o2... Then there's the sgi indigo élan with 20" sgi monitor, the sgi 320 with 1600sw screen, powermac g4 (on loan to my folks), a couple of pismo PowerBooks, Newton, atari 1040ste, a 3d Boxx-s2 dual xeon workstation and god knows what else... I'm bidding on a g5 powermac to replace the iMac and I'm desperate for a nextstation - either a complete-with-monitor mono, or a color turbo... And an sgi crimson. And an onyx2... The list is endless and, especially with sgi, there's always something to tempt you!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: