NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Gecko Running 3.3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Sun / HPPA Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rpangrazio

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:06 am    Post subject: Gecko Running 3.3 Reply with quote

I have just finished installing 3.3 on a HP 712/60 and I am really impressed. It looks amazing.

I had to do something interesting to get it there though. I don't have a scsi cd drive so I could do a cd boot. I couldn't find the administrators guide anywhere on the internet so a net boot was out.

But I did have a Jazz drive. For those who don't know a Jazz drive is a Iomega(think Zip drive) 1gb cartridge drive. So I net booted my hp with Gentoo Linux. Created a local file system, and ftp'd an ISO of the install disk to my HP box. Then I dd'd the iso to a jazz cartridge. And it booted like a charm. Every thing is completed and I am doing the same with the developer disk.
kb7sqi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Gecko Running 3.3 Reply with quote

rpangrazio wrote:
I have just finished installing 3.3 on a HP 712/60 and I am really impressed. It looks amazing.

I had to do something interesting to get it there though. I don't have a scsi cd drive so I could do a cd boot. I couldn't find the administrators guide anywhere on the internet so a net boot was out.

But I did have a Jazz drive. For those who don't know a Jazz drive is a Iomega(think Zip drive) 1gb cartridge drive. So I net booted my hp with Gentoo Linux. Created a local file system, and ftp'd an ISO of the install disk to my HP box. Then I dd'd the iso to a jazz cartridge. And it booted like a charm. Every thing is completed and I am doing the same with the developer disk.

Welcome to the club & to the forums! Smile There's quite a few of us around here who are running Gecko's/Sparc's. I love my 712/100. I wish I had OPENSTEP 4.2 for it, but it runs NEXTSTEP 3.3 like a dream. Smile Way to be creative using a Jazz Drive! Take care.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
rpangrazio

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the compliment. Now its on to the developer disk. I have OS 4.2 for X86 but not sparc or hppa.
kb7sqi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpangrazio wrote:
Thanks for the compliment. Now its on to the developer disk. I have OS 4.2 for X86 but not sparc or hppa.

OPENSTEP 4.2 for hppa was never released to the "general" public. There's been several rumors about it's release, but thus far, no one has posted any info on actually having a copy. Kinda like getting a Sparc copy of Framemaker. You know it's "out" there, but finding it would be extremely difficult. Smile Anyway enjoy the Gecko! They do make a great NEXTSTEP 3.3 system. Take care.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
rpangrazio

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to be a bother and ask an off topic question, but is there a way to do a hard reset on the gecko? Or force a power off, like holding the power button on a PC?

I had a situation where the system became unresponsive and stayed that way for 10 - 20 minutes. I had to eventually pull the plug(which I absolutely hated doing) I scoured the net and couldn't find anything like this.
kb7sqi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpangrazio wrote:
Sorry to be a bother and ask an off topic question, but is there a way to do a hard reset on the gecko? Or force a power off, like holding the power button on a PC?

I had a situation where the system became unresponsive and stayed that way for 10 - 20 minutes. I had to eventually pull the plug(which I absolutely hated doing) I scoured the net and couldn't find anything like this.

You know, I've never had to force a power off on the Gecko. I've been real lucky w/ that system. I've never had a crash, etc. It's been up for 104+ days this time around. Wink But I did test holding the power button down for several seconds. It stayed running. Now since I just got done bragging, I'll probably screw myself when I start working on upgrading the hard drives in it next week hopefully. lol. Time to install some bigger drives. I'm running out of space on that box also. Nextchef might know the answer on that one. Take care.
rpangrazio

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the reason for the crash. Or at least a place to look. It happens when I do a heavy file access on my jazz drive. It happened to me again, so on a whim I turned the jazz drive off and it fixed the problem. So maybe the reset button is a moot point.

hope I didn't jinx you streak. Thanks for the help here and on the TAR issue.

Bob
nextchef

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Concerning the force power off, AFAIK there is no such procedure like on a PC.

Concerning the Jaz drive issue, I have never seen that happen on my gecko. Were you just copying files or using some program to access a large file? I have done some heavy read/writing to 1G jaz drives when doing various dump/restores of different system loads, but have never seen that sort of issue you describe. It could be a timeout issue with the jaz drive, due to bad sectors on the disk. I highly recommend that anyone still using a zip/jaz drive to download the Trouble In Paradise (TIP) app from Steve Gibson at grc.com. it allows one to extensively test both the drives and the media, as they were both very prone to failure back in the day. It does require a windows PC though, but it is worth it to know how trustworthy your drive/cartridges are.
kb7sqi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nextchef wrote:
Concerning the force power off, AFAIK there is no such procedure like on a PC.

Concerning the Jaz drive issue, I have never seen that happen on my gecko. Were you just copying files or using some program to access a large file? I have done some heavy read/writing to 1G jaz drives when doing various dump/restores of different system loads, but have never seen that sort of issue you describe. It could be a timeout issue with the jaz drive, due to bad sectors on the disk. I highly recommend that anyone still using a zip/jaz drive to download the Trouble In Paradise (TIP) app from Steve Gibson at grc.com. it allows one to extensively test both the drives and the media, as they were both very prone to failure back in the day. It does require a windows PC though, but it is worth it to know how trustworthy your drive/cartridges are.

Thanks for the info. I used to use my zip drive all the time w/ my Turbo Color Slab back in the day & never had any problems w/ it. I still have it along w/ several Syquest drives. Need to dig them one day. I have stacks of disks for them. lol. Take care.
rpangrazio

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is good info to have. My drive is about 100 years old, as well as the disks. It just disturbed me that the whole system locked up like that. I am used to a unix system where I could have killed the process and been ok.

Although I didn't have any problems like this during the install. I used it in place of a CD to install the os, but that was a different disk. Curious.

FYI I was using it as a staging point to install the dev tools. I didn't really have enough space to hold all the dev packages, and being without CD I needed to transfer them via the network. I have a SCSI Zip disk that I am going to begin using. My current cabling system allows only one or the other. And I do have a zip drive on my PC.
rpangrazio

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to resurrect a dead thread. I just wanted to post the root cause of my problem. It was a cable issue. My SCSI cable was dead. I managed to find a company that makes cables new and got one. It works great now.

I really hate it when a problem I have had is posted in a forum and it dies before a solution is reached.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Sun / HPPA Hardware All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: