NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Oracle buying Sun .. What does everyone think?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nextchef

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:45 am    Post subject: Oracle buying Sun .. What does everyone think? Reply with quote

Any thoughts on this, as I for one was a little surprised Oracle would grab a company with such a hardware portfolio. I sure hope it does not affect the Sun sponsored software I use everyday, mainly VirtualBox and OpenOffice, but I guess they would be forked if Oracle decides to let them die.
We are in the preliminary stages of evaluating a new storage architecture at work, of which Sun was one of the options, but this certainly causes some uncertainty to creep into the decision process.
Noth

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it does make Oracle a top to bottom solution supplier juste like Big Blue. Hopefully the hardware will keep it's superb quality although I'm a little worried that the cpu devs will all be shifted to Fujitsu. The main question is, what happens to MySQL? It's a little sad to see the last of the Silicon Valley UNIX makers being acquired, but then SGI went for only 20 million, so 7.4 billion can't be that bad. As far as buying new gear... well it might be worth waiting 3-6 months on taking a decision if it involves Sun but I doubt the support will disappear so soon.
nextchef

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noth wrote:
I'm a little worried that the cpu devs will all be shifted to Fujitsu. The main question is, what happens to MySQL?

It was my understanding that Sun was well on their way to shifting CPU assets to Fujitsu, and I would not be surprised if Oracle sells the CPU group or possibly even the entire server division to Fujitsu.

Concerning MySQL, I tend to agree with what others have said that Oracle will use it as a "gateway drug" to their enterprise database products. Create a very easy migration/upgrade path from MySQL in order to lure users away as their database needs increase. My big concern is that they would try to create some sort of limited or "lite" version of MySQL that would require users to upgrade when they reached some artificial usage/users/connections level.
nextchef

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:06 pm    Post subject: Sun Announces New MySQL, Michael Widenius Forks Reply with quote

It looks like the fallout has already started concerning MySQL, and Michael Widenius for one is not very happy about the Oracle take over.

http://developers.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=09/04/23/134208
Thrax

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They'll try to get more corporations to switch from wintel systems to sun/oracle systems. First the back end systems then push for more.
kb7sqi

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's definately going to be interesting to see how things pan out over the next few months. You guys know as much as me. I have the same concerns. I use Sun stuff daily. I can't imagine not having OpenSolaris, OpenOffice, VirtualBox, etc. Just last week, I gave a presentation @ the Charlotte OpenSolaris User Group Meeting about "Why I chose OpenSolaris for my Desktop." It was fun. One of the guys I've known for 5+ years who works for Wachovia showed up & we always spend a great deal of time talking about Solaris, OpenSolaris, Linux, etc. when we're "working" on something. Until last week, we'd actually never met. So it was great to be able to put a face w/ a voice. He's a die hard Centos user. When he left, he was going home to setup a new Virtual OpenSolaris system to start playing w/ some of the stuff I showed during the presentation. Needless to say, it was a great time & instead of talking for 15 minutes, the whole presentation lasted over an hour. LOL. I'm looking forward to next months meeting. I think I'm doing another presentation on "Setting up your Development System under OpenSolaris." Smile Should be another fun topic.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
dai_vernon

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you do at sun, kb7sqi?
kb7sqi

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dai_vernon wrote:
What do you do at sun, kb7sqi?

I'm a Systems Support Engineer (SSE) dedicated to a certain bank in the area. lol. I'm the guy who gets called in the middle of the night when something goes wrong w/ the software, hardware, etc. I support over 2000 Sun/Fujitsu boxes in two data centers. They tend to keep me busy, but at the same time, since I've been working there for so long now, they almost think I work directly for them. I'm lucky to say I have a great working relationship w/ my customers in this area. When someone calls me or I call a customer, it's likely we'll spend a good amount of time talking about other things like family, latest news, catching up, etc. It really helps make work more enjoyable. Smile I'm also the local Solaris/OpenSolaris/x86 geek. Wink It helps there's several old NeXT Users/Developers around the area also. lol. Take care.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
nextchef

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like oracle has decided to kill the upcoming "Rock" processor from sun, and will instead rely on Fujitsu for anything sparc in the future. I was hoping this would not happen, but am not suprised that oracle accelerated the trend already underway at Sun to move away from the whole Sparc cpu architecture.

http://developers.slashdot.org/story/09/06/16/1244240/Sun-Kills-Rock-CPU-Says-NYT-Report

Quoting from slashdot:
"Despite Oracle CEO Larry Ellison's recent statement that his company will continue Sun's hardware business, it won't be with Sun processors (and associated engineering jobs). The New York Times reports that Sun has canceled its long-delayed Rock processor, the next generation SPARC CPU. Instead, the Times says Sun/Oracle will have to rely on Fujitsu for SPARCs (and Intel otherwise). Unfortunately Fujitsu is decreasing its R&D budget and is unprofitable at present."
helf

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sucks, the Rock looked to be awesome. Fujitsu is hemorrhaging money at the moment.

/me wonders if SPARC will die soon
neozeed

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

helf wrote:
sucks, the Rock looked to be awesome. Fujitsu is hemorrhaging money at the moment.

/me wonders if SPARC will die soon

I would think so.. Oralce is also a numbers company and that transitive software is just 'too easy' to get people out of old CPU's when you've got the OS ported to something else....

Look for a Solaris 10 Itanium version...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: