NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Sparcstation 5 NS install

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Sun / HPPA Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
urquidez

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:49 am    Post subject: Sparcstation 5 NS install Reply with quote

I'm getting a "bad magic" error when I attempt to boot from CDROM at the ROM monitor. The CD drive is functional, the SCSI bus is functional, and I believe the NS 3.3 Dev for SPARC CDROM is also functional. Any ideas would be helpful.

TIA
pergamon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Sparcstation 5 NS install Reply with quote

urquidez wrote:
I'm getting a "bad magic" error when I attempt to boot from CDROM at the ROM monitor. The CD drive is functional, the SCSI bus is functional, and I believe the NS 3.3 Dev for SPARC CDROM is also functional. Any ideas would be helpful.

Is the CD drive Sun branded? Might need to switch the block size on the drive (though I don't know what to - but something to check into).
urquidez

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Sparcstation 5 NS install Reply with quote

pergamon wrote:
urquidez wrote:

Is the CD drive Sun branded? Might need to switch the block size on the drive (though I don't know what to - but something to check into).

The CD drive is the internal Sun branded one. Block Size is something for me to look into as I'm not sure what it's currently set to. Thanks for the tip.
pergamon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Sparcstation 5 NS install Reply with quote

urquidez wrote:
pergamon wrote:
urquidez wrote:

The CD drive is the internal Sun branded one. Block Size is something for me to look into as I'm not sure what it's currently set to. Thanks for the tip.

Well if it is an internal Sun drive, that is less likely to be the problem. It *may* still be a possibility, I don't know off the top of my head.
urquidez

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The exact verbiage is:

Bad magic number in disk label
Can't open disk label package

Can't open boot device

The Sun OpenBoot 2.x Command Reference has been a great help in understanding the Sun boot options and processes, but this just has me stumped. I haven't been able to locate info in this forum just yet.
urquidez

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. I tried an OPENSTEP 4.0 prerelease CD and the SPARCstation boots that installer just fine. So that leaves the CD itself as the culprit right? The thing is, I've booted *this* NS 3.3 Dev CD before on *this* SS5 but using an external SCSI drive. I've checked the NS 3.3 Dev CD for physical damage and it's clean.
RacerX

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I'm missing something... you are attempting to boot from a NEXTSTEP Developer CD? There isn't an OS on any of my NEXTSTEP or OPENSTEP developer media... just the packages for the developer tools for after you install the OS from the User CD.

I'd have to hunt down the box, but what I got (as I recall) with my NEXTSTEP 3.3 was the following media...
  • NEXTSTEP 3.3 Users (NeXT and Intel hardware)
  • NEXTSTEP 3.3 Users (Sun and HP hardware)
  • NEXTSTEP 3.3 Developer (NeXT, Intel, Sun and HP hardware)
  • Enterprise Objects 1.0
If I missed something that was already covered... disregard this post (it has been a long day Surprised ).
urquidez

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears I am the one missing my marbles. I didn't acquire the CD as part of a complete package so when I saw that it said for Sparc I assumed it was OS installer + dev tools. I will confirm later today. Thank you for your input.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Sun / HPPA Hardware All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: