NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Rhapsody Resource Page -Updates-

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RacerX

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:14 pm    Post subject: Rhapsody Resource Page -Updates- Reply with quote

As many of you know, I have a couple web pages that cover NeXT and Rhapsody stuff (which have gotten very kind recommendations by both Nitro and NeXT≥).

Back when we used to have the forums over at openstep.se, I had started threads where I posted updates as I put them up on my sites. I had been meaning to start this thread again since the untimely demise of those forums but I had been too lazy to get around to it... until now. I don't recall exactly when the other forums shutdown, so I figured I'll just recap what I've put up on the site in 2006.
  1. Benchmarking Blue Box I ran a number of calculations in Mathematica 2.2.2 in Blue Box and compared the results to other systems to see what type of performance hit Blue Box apps take.
  2. Rhapsody on a PowerBook 3400c I installed Rhapsody on a 3400c and found out why Rhapsody really needs at least a 1024x768 display.
  3. Rhapsody Hardware Experiences Basically a history of the different hardware I've run Rhapsody on.
  4. Documentation and FAQs Collection of PDF documents, FAQ pages, and external links for Rhapsody.
  5. Rhapsody Timeline My attempt to put Rhapsody's history in perspective.
  6. RhapsodyAnswers Beta version of a collection of technical articles on Rhapsody similar to the old NeXTanswers collection.
  7. Fonts The page is actually on my NS/OS Resource Page, but most of the fonts work with Rhapsody.
  8. Video Cards for PowerPC systems Information I've been able to collect and (to some degree) test on video cards for Macs and Mac clones that work with Rhapsody.
  9. ToyViewer This is a page I had been meaning to put up for a long time, but only recently got around to it. ToyViewer has always been a great app, but it's many abilities are often overlooked.

That brings us up to the latest update (posted this morning).

As I had done with the old thread at openstep.se, I'll post new pages here as they go up.
Nightengale

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to say thanks!
RacerX

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just in case anyone notices... I made a couple changes to the home page of my site. There hasn't been any content changes or additions, just a little face lift after a couple years. What I changed is the CDs at the top of the page and the additions list at the bottom.

The original image of the CDs were scanned in images of the NEXTSTEP, OPENSTEP, Rhapsody DR2 and Mac OS X Server disks. While I liked the image itself, it always bothered me that I scanned in those images on a non-Rhapsody system. So I decided to use something that was "Rhapsody made" in it's place. I created the illustrations of the Rhapsody DR, Rhapsody DR2 and Mac OS X Server CDs in Create. The Server "S" was grabbed as an EPS from the Server manual using PDFView and cleaned up and resized in ToyViewer. Having everything I used for this image (Create, ToyViewer and PDFView) running natively in Rhapsody makes me feel better about it being there... plus I like it better (I also thought the NEXTSTEP and OPENSTEP CDs were a little misleading).

The only change to the additions list at the bottom of the page is that I reversed the order of the additions. Now the newest additions are at the top of the list rather than the bottom.

Just FYI.

Thanks
RacerX

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I added a page on the PowerBook G3 Lombard.

The gist of the page is that it installs and works by the most academic of definitions... but not by mine. The video is not supported, so the system only runs at 256 colors.

So, based on all the PowerBooks I've tried Rhapsody on, the best system (by far) is the PowerBook G3 Wallstreet. Versions of Rhapsody will install and work on the PowerBook 3400c, PowerBook G3 Kanga and PowerBook G3 Lombard, but the best all around user experience comes from the Wallstreets.
Nightengale

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha-good info Exclamation Very Happy Thanks
RacerX

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had meant to put a bunch of pages up at once, but I ended up putting some pages up early to answer questions I had gotten, and now the harder pages are looking like I'm going to need more time for them.

So here are the new ones that are up...

I put up a page on Piracy... why I stay away from it and also answer the question that many people ask (why doesn't Apple just give these systems away for free?).

I also put up a page on the PowerBook G3 Kanga... this was to address some of the differences between that model and the PowerBook 3400c.

I updated the RhapsodyAnswers... I added a PDF manual and a handful of articles. I also changed the numbering ranges. They are now set at:
    Rhapsody Developer Release... 00001 to 00999
    Rhapsody Developer Release 2... 01000 to 09999
    Mac OS X Server 1.x (no original article number)... 10000 to 19999
    Mac OS X Server 1.x... Apple's original article numbers
Sadly, I still haven't figured out why I can't TAR the PDF manuals, so they are still included in a PAZ archive.

Another addition (which I had been putting off for a couple years now) is a page on modifying the Rhapsody login screen. I still don't have a lot of detail on using Interface Builder, but this is because I'm not all that skilled with it to begin with. Before attempting the more advanced modifications, I strongly suggest reading up and getting familiar with Interface Builder first.
RacerX

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put up an expanded version of the TextEdit page (here) and started fixing broken links on a number of pages.

Once I have the links fixed throughout the site I'll most likely devote a few new pages to Blue Box. Basically covering issues with Mac OS 8.x (mostly 8.6, but some 8.1 items for Blue Box in Rhapsody 5.1) and application solutions for that environment (free known working applications mostly, plus some inexpensive older applications that can be found on ebay).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Rhapsody All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: