NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Nextstation turbo color w/ adb soundbox - Display issues

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NextJules

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:40 am    Post subject: Nextstation turbo color w/ adb soundbox - Display issues Reply with quote

Hi All,

I just acquired a nextstation turbo color w/ adb soundbox, mouse, keyboard and a 13w3-vga adapter that is SUPPOSED to work with SOME displays.

I've tried it with a Dell 2405FPW, Viewsonic VX900 LCDs & Dell P780 CRT - none work.

I checked the pinouts on the adapter:
Code:

_13w3_           _VGA_
A1                 1
A1shield         6
1                   15
4                   10
5                   13
6                   12
7                   14
10                 10
A2                 2
A2shield         7
A3                 3
A3shield         8

Externally, the adapter is identical to this one: http://www.nextcomputers.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=89
and I'm even using the same display, but Nitro is using non-adb peripherals.

However, the wiring appears different internally based on another post from Nitro (that I can't dig up at the moment) - his adapter just has the RGB + grounds connected to the appropriate vga pins, with green (or blue) sync on vga pin 13.

I've ripped apart an old vga cable in order to try different wiring combinations. Wiring just the RGB, grounds and green sync to either pin 12 or 13 on VGA I still can't get an image.

Can anyone clue me in on what it will take to make this work with a modern display? Is the issue the freq using ADB vs. non-adb?

I'm new to next and excited to see what's on this turbostation!

Last edited by NextJules on Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:35 am; edited 1 time in total
iDork

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By "none work" I assume you mean that you get absolutely no signal, right? I don't think there are variations in the wiring (but I admit I'm not an expert) - it either right or wrong. If those 3 monitors support "Sync On Green", and the adapter is wired right, they should at least detect a signal from the slab (and not switch off).
I have two (identical, I suppose) SUN adapters and they work with my ADB and non-ADB boxes.
it68000

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Is the issue the freq using ADB vs. non-adb?

My Viewsonic VX922 was able to sync with both ADB and non-ADB (different frequency), but the signal with ADB was bad (distorted proportions and out of screen images).
helf

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

afaik, non-adb systems pump out 68hz and adb machines pump out 72hz for the vertical sync.

Are you sure the machine works? Tried different Y cables coming off the NeXT? How exactly do you have the machine hooked up?
NextJules

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By "none work" I mean that I don't get an image from any of the various display/wiring combinations. The displays stop displaying "no cable connected" when I plug them in, but the screen stays off/dark.

The machine was sold as working. I hear a startup chime/bong from the soundbox and the hard drive sounds about like I'd expect as it loads up the OS then settles down.

I only have the one Y cable it came with. It's hooked up AFAIK the only way it can be - Next > ycable > sound box > display cable > 13w3 adapter > F-F vga gender changer > display.

The monitors do support SOG - here's a link to the Dell CRT specs
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/monitors/p780/En/spec.htm

iDork - any chance you could probe one of your working sun adapters and tell me the pinouts?

It's encouraging to read that someone has adb & adapter working.
helf

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm running an ADB NeXTstation Turbo Color on a 15" Dell Trinitron without issues. Using a Sun 13w3 to vga adapter and a vga gender changer. I'll look at the adapters tonight.
cubist

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NextJules wrote:

The monitors do support SOG

If that's true, try connecting only the RGB lines (VGA 1/6, 2/7, 3/8 ) if you can. I don't have the soundbox schematic but it predates DDC by quite a bit. Connecting the soundbox and monitor may have made something unhappy. (Dimension, btw, only connects the video lines. No other connection is made.)
NextJules

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried it with only the RGB lines connected by cutting up a spare vga cable and only wiring 1/6 2/7 3/8 - same result.

I'm going to probe the adapter again and make sure my pinout diagram is accurate.
NextJules

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Double checked my adapter and vga pins 11 & 5 are NOT connected. I fixed the diagram above.

I'm at a loss. I tested the RGB out from the slab and I see 1.5-2.5volts across each color when it's powered on.

I think my adapter is wired correctly.

I guess I just have to keep trying displays until I get lucky?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> New Technology All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: