NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Daydream owners... I need your help booting into OS 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Rare NeXT Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NeXTsociety

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:52 pm    Post subject: Daydream owners... I need your help booting into OS 7 Reply with quote

Happy, well not yet as it does not work but hope to be soon, happy, <grin> Daydream owner. Placed the Daydream.app and Daydream files at root. Placed the uncompressed mini7.daydream file also at root (although my mini7.daydream icon does not look like a disk icon like the manual shows but looks like a test file on paper icon). Not sure if that is my issue (bad mini.daydream file) or what but I can't boot into OS 7. I launch Daydream, my screen shows that black daydream screen, the screen does that fuzzy fade out deal on screen, then it boots into NeXTstep. Tried this on two Cubes. Both NS3.3. One is a small 350M drive and the other is a 4GB drive. Bot do same thing.

Any tips would be great. This thing cost me lots of $$ and so far it is a paperweight.

tj
pentium

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forget weather or not you mentioned if you did or did not have a floppy drive, otherwise I'll point out we have images of the floppy disks here on the archive.

-NeXT 68040 Cube with NS 3.3 and 64Mb ram
NeXTsociety

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pentium wrote:
I forget weather or not you mentioned if you did or did not have a floppy drive, otherwise I'll point out we have images of the floppy disks here on the archive.

I do have a floppy. I have those images on a CD the seller gave me. He had both the .IMG files (which I am not sure how to create a floppy from) and the files already opened on the same CD so I did not have to make my own floppies.

I did try DiskCopyII app but not sure how to really use it. I launch it and go to select the .IMG files but they are greyed out. So, not sure how to make NeXT floppies from the 4 images.

So, I am using the ones he just had on the CD in non IMG format. I placed all 3 files on my root. Daydream, Daydream.app, and that Mini7. The only icon that does not look right to me, but is probably OK, is the Mini7. It states after it decompresses, that .daydream file should look like a little disk. Mine looks like text on paper icon like the other daydream file does.

Even if I make a new "create a disk file", the icon looks the same so maybe that is just how it is.

I have now tried this device on 3 computers and all the same, just will not get past the Daydream black window. It fuzzes out, then switches to booting from NS3.3. Mad

I have tried two cubes and a NeXTstation Turbo. So, unless the software I have is bad, I can only blame yhe Daydream box as being dead.

The version of Daydream I am showing copied from the CD is 2.11.

I even made a floppy on my color classic that has the System found on the emergency floppy img. I just made a 1.4 Mac floppy and copied the System Folder from the emergency 1.4 floppy image onto the blank floppy. Launched Daydream from the hard drive and then when the screen goes to daydream, I slap in the floppy and it supposed to boot from it. Acts dead as a doornail and never even looks at the floppy. Just boots to NS3.3

I wonder if removing the ROMs and spraying contact cleaner on the connectors and roms and putting it back together again is advisable.

tj
NeXTsociety

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone care to tell me what you .daydream icons look like. The user guide shows they look like a disk. Mine looks like a text edit page or something.

tj
pentium

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if they all look like text files, something is not right and the files themselves are/could be corrupt.

-NeXT 68040 Cube with NS 3.3 and 64Mb ram
NeXTsociety

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pentium wrote:
if they all look like text files, something is not right and the files themselves are/could be corrupt.

The daydream and .daydream files don't have special icons but are text looking icons.

I take it you have a Daydream?

Mind posting a picture of what you icons for the main apps looks like?

Maybe I can get copies of these from you if yours indeed look different.

tj
NeXTsociety

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Success!!

My Cube now boots OS 7.5. Super cool. Would have been cool if these things had sound also but oh well. Still neat device.

The software I had was bogus and getting and making my own floppy installers did the trick. Once done, I was able to boot.

Would be cool if I can get CD to work so I can install OS 7.6.1 but so far CD does not mount. It states something about that in the manual.

tj
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Rare NeXT Hardware All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: