NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Vital SPARC!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Sun / HPPA Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SVPirate

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:42 pm    Post subject: Vital SPARC! Reply with quote

Okay, I'm back and this time I have no crap following my cursor ;)

I got in the mail today a 8MB SPARCstation 20 VSIMM through (after looking for nigh-on a year). So my NeXTSTEP experience is back on, over a year after I gave up in defeat after I discovered the S24 in my SS5 was faulty.

So far I have:

SS20
1x SM81 85MHz SuperSPARC-II CPU board with 1MB cache
448MB RAM (can it see all this?)
9GB IBM hard drive (found a nice quiet one)

NS3.3, no patches yet
(I only have the 3.3 User CDs, and literally Nothing Else™).

First question is is there a way to get around that error on boot up when it can't find the NetInfo server and I have to press Ctrl-C? It's stopping what is an otherwise rip-snortingly fast machine booting at optimum speed. I vaguely remember from playing with Rhapsody something about redirecting the netinfo server address to localhost? Can you do that on NS 3.3?

Second is how straightforward is it to setup on a modern LAN. I can use static address etc. I thought it had some issue with DNS servers and not being able to use them? Again that's based off Rhapsody experiences.

Thirdly does anyone know any good software repos with stuff for SPARC? Either SPARC or 'FAT' will be fine.

Fourthly, if I add a second hard drive to the machine, can I use the disk in NS?

Fifthly I have a 9GB hard drive installed, will it have used all that and if so how is it chopped up?

Probably 99% n00b questions but hey, I'm a n00b, what can I say ;)

P.S. does anyone have any tricks for getting a SX framebuffer to talk nice to a Samsung LCD panel?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SVPirate

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK.

Using the excellent guide kb7sqi posted, I have achieved network and local netinfo karma.

I found the Software Archive (it was late last night Razz)

I managed to initialize a second hard drive, in fact it did it automatically. Neat :)

However, I'm still confused about the hard drives. I have 2 installed. The boot messages quote both drives as '455MB', which is way off. 'BuildDisk' also sates the drives are 456MB. The File Viewer says / has 1.35GB free and /Data (the second drive) has 1.48GB free.

So... is there a partition size limit? Is there a disk size limit?

I kinda gather NeXTSTEP doesn't use parttions when it installs, it does an 'OS X' and installs on one partition.

So far So good though. I have a working import from my Mac Pro that pulls in an NFS share so i can move data back and forth.

Leopard users might like this:

http://macresearch.org/nfs-exports-leopard

*Finally* Apple go back to using a proper UNiX config file for NFS exports!

Off to look for a tgz unarchiver Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kb7sqi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SVPirate wrote:
OK.

Using the excellent guide kb7sqi posted, I have achieved network and local netinfo karma.

I found the Software Archive (it was late last night Razz)

I managed to initialize a second hard drive, in fact it did it automatically. Neat :)

However, I'm still confused about the hard drives. I have 2 installed. The boot messages quote both drives as '455MB', which is way off. 'BuildDisk' also sates the drives are 456MB. The File Viewer says / has 1.35GB free and /Data (the second drive) has 1.48GB free.

So... is there a partition size limit? Is there a disk size limit?

I kinda gather NeXTSTEP doesn't use parttions when it installs, it does an 'OS X' and installs on one partition.

So far So good though. I have a working import from my Mac Pro that pulls in an NFS share so i can move data back and forth.

Leopard users might like this:

http://macresearch.org/nfs-exports-leopard

*Finally* Apple go back to using a proper UNiX config file for NFS exports!

Off to look for a tgz unarchiver Smile

Yeah, TjL's guide makes it easy getting the system on the network. I've kept a copy around for years. Congrats on getting your system running.

NEXTSTEP has a limit of 2 gigs per partition. If you have OPENSTEP available, I'd install it once you get more ram. Wink It atleast handles 4 gig partitions. But I'd have fun playing w/ NEXTSTEP first. Take care.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SVPirate

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kb7sqi wrote:

Yeah, TjL's guide makes it easy getting the system on the network. I've kept a copy around for years. Congrats on getting your system running.

Many thanks, it's pretty cool to be able to sit down and use NeXTSTEP finally. It feel so natural to use compared to other mid-90s OSs.

kb7sqi wrote:

NEXTSTEP has a limit of 2 gigs per partition. If you have OPENSTEP available, I'd install it once you get more ram. Wink It atleast handles 4 gig partitions. But I'd have fun playing w/ NEXTSTEP first. Take care.

I figured as much, but is there any way to add more partitions to a drive?

Also, is 448MB not enough RAM for OPENSTEP?
kb7sqi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rofl. Yeah, 448 Megs should be JUST enough. Wink I miss read it & thought you only had 48 megs. HEHE. You have more than enough. The system should run great w/ that much memory.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SVPirate

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it looks like it's been a couple of years, but I finally got an original set of OPENSTEP 4.2 CDs and install 4.2 with the Update 4 patch and Developer Tools on my SS20. I was astounded to find that using a dodge from the Sun Framebuffer FAQ (a godly document held here: http://www.sunhelp.org/faq/FrameBuffer.html ) I got the system to run at 1280x1024. Most excellent.

I am back to the disk issues again, however. I have OS/4.2 and it still using 2 GB partitions, yet indications here suggest it should use 4GB if it can? Also is there *any* way of using the full 8GB of the second disk?
neozeed

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you test this for me?

http://vpsland.superglobalmegacorp.com/install/NeXTSTEP/quake-1.09-NIHS.tar.gz

It's that version of Quake that I've hacked to kinda run on NeXTSTEP... I'd be interested to know if it's just a slide show or if it crashes...

you have to start it from a terminal......... sigh

then click in the window a few times to get the focus right... I'm no NS programmer, just standing on the shoulders of giants....

Anyways good luck with the SPARC!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Sun / HPPA Hardware All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: