NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Future of kb7sqi's servers
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kb7sqi

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 3:10 am    Post subject: I'm still alive, and need to clear up a few things Reply with quote

Hi all,
I know I've been away for quite some time because of work and because I've been working on other projects. I'm slowly powering things back up & I need to rebuild my web server once again. My Sparc 5 which was hosting the web server died yet again. lol. The 36 gig drive I put in it died along w/ a power supply. Mad Oh well, that machine ran for several years. I have the parts to put it back together, but I've been lacking the time. That's why the web server is still off line. Now, about the SFTP server which I warned everyone that it would be shut down. Even after I posted here that it would be going away & several people had mirrored it, I noticed that no one put up a mirror??? Why not? Today I started reading through the forums & I read quite a few attacks against me. What did I do to deserve this? Everything I compiled/packaged/time/bandwidth, etc, etc. I did for "this" community here on these forums. I stated many times, I had no problems w/ people creating mirrors of my archives. I never claimed to "own" the packages I had up for people to download. It's all open source! All I did was take the time to get it to compile clean on my system or provide the space for linmag7's awesome packages. So, just to be clear....If you have a mirror of my packages, feel free to post them for others!

Now...When I get some time, I do plan on bringing the web server back to life and start updating most of the packages I've created over the years. These days, my time is pretty much consumed w/ work 99% of the time and any "NeXT" time I've had is usually using a virtual system. I did enjoy a few hours today using my Turbo Color Slab though & my Gecko. Very Happy The SFTP server will stay offline, but I saw gctwnl's post about archiving software and we've been in contact. I've offered everything I have on both the web server/sftp server. I'll post more information when the time is right. It's great to see the forums are still here & I can't wait to create my next package! Take care.

Steve
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jheis

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve

Welcome back!

I wasn't aware of the attacks on you, but I, for one, am very appreciative of everything you've done to help keep the NeXT community alive.

Thanks.

James
pitz

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto to what James mentioned.

I wasn't aware of anything mentioned against you (mainly because I skip reading postings like those anyway), but I, too, am very appreciative of the work you've done. I did miss your helpful postings the past several months, but I figured it's other stuff taking over your time -- happens to everyone.

Good to hear from you.

Peter
Empathy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve, what you do is great. Your efforts allow people to use NeXTSTEP/OPENSTEP in 2010. Your ports make the platform still viable for hobbyists. Thanks a lot!

Keep up the good work!
eagle

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all.

I have just confirmed with my employer that I have permission to host the archive. I just need to get the files, from Steve or someone else.

The server has currently 38GB free, but I can't dedicate that much to NeXT files. If memory serves, the archive was around 10GB, and that is no problem.

Once I get the files, I will get the archive set up and will post access information.

eagle
kb7sqi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an FYI post in regards to the archive of my sftp server. I've made a backup of it & I'm currently creating a new archive w/ quite a few iso images that were never on the original archive. Once I get everything re-compressed w/ 7zip, I'll be creating a few master dvd's. Right now w/ out the web site, the archive is roughly 20 gigs. I took the time to create iso images of almost every cd I have NeXT releated including the 3rd Party Sampler/Product cd's, Peanuts, Big Green, etc. This also includes everything provided in the incoming directory like the NEXTSTEP system dumps from 0.8-2.0. Now...The question is who is REALLY going to host the archive? Eagle has stepped up to host an archive, any one else? I'm not going to make 20+ copies & send them out all over the place to those not hosting an archive. Sorry, I simply don't have that kind of time. So if you'd like to volunteer to host an archive, please contact me. I'm only looking for a few more folks. As far as the everything that was hosted on the web server, the most current backup of that will be included as well. Smile Take care.

Steve
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
NeXTsociety

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kb7sqi wrote:
Just an FYI post in regards to the archive of my sftp server. I've made a backup of it & I'm currently creating a new archive w/ quite a few iso images that were never on the original archive. Once I get everything re-compressed w/ 7zip, I'll be creating a few master dvd's. Right now w/ out the web site, the archive is roughly 20 gigs. I took the time to create iso images of almost every cd I have NeXT releated including the 3rd Party Sampler/Product cd's, Peanuts, Big Green, etc. This also includes everything provided in the incoming directory like the NEXTSTEP system dumps from 0.8-2.0. Now...The question is who is REALLY going to host the archive? Eagle has stepped up to host an archive, any one else? I'm not going to make 20+ copies & send them out all over the place to those not hosting an archive. Sorry, I simply don't have that kind of time. So if you'd like to volunteer to host an archive, please contact me. I'm only looking for a few more folks. As far as the everything that was hosted on the web server, the most current backup of that will be included as well. Smile Take care.

Steve

How about for someone that can't host an archive but would like to donate $20 for you to send them a DVD when you get one burned? Pays you a little money and some of us sure could use the DVDs. Smile I would be happy to pay for a DVD like this. Cool

tj
eagle

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, my system has 38GB free, and I am sure that I can get 20GB on that.

Steve, if you'll include the website too, that makes for very little that I have to do, other than copy the files in place. Smile
StainlessSteelRat

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll host access to your source via svn via the old google code page that I never got around to using, if you don't mind... will take a month, about to run into my monthly bandwidth limit... guess I should bother testing if I can even build the subversion tools for the platforms.
kb7sqi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey all,
I wanted to give a quick update on all of this. I've been pretty busy again w/ work, but I'm hoping to knock out creating DVD images this weekend. At the same time, I've been updating some packages as well. I've got openssl-0.9.8o & openssl-1.0 both compiled finally and have started re-linking stuff against them and even managed to get a new port done. curl-7.21.0 is now running w/ a clean compile on OPENSTEP 4.2:
bash-2.0.5b$ curl --version
curl 7.21.0 (i386-next-openstep4) libcurl/7.21.0 OpenSSL/0.9.8o zlib/1.2.5
Protocols: file ftp ftps http https imap imaps pop3 pop3s smtp smtps telnet tftp
Features: NTLM SSL libz

This is the first time I've been able to get it to compile clean, but I haven't been able to get it finished compiling clean on NEXTSTEP 3.3 yet. Once that is done, I'll be happy. I'm sure every knows curl is another variant of wget, but the cool thing about getting curl to work is, you can now use the cli twitter client TTYtter again w/ Oauth support. Wink The older version of TTYtter will quit working once the shut off the old API.

On a side note, I have a REQUEST for all of you "NeXT OLDTIMERS." I need a copy of the netinfo patch for DHCP for NEXTSTEP/OPENSTEP. I'd like to compile an updated version of ISC's DHCP. I have a newer version compiled that includes quite a few patches & adds HPPA/SPARC support as well, but really need this patch to finalize the package. Any help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED! Thanks. Take care.

Steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: