NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Oh look, NOW I find an ANS....

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pentium

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:29 am    Post subject: Oh look, NOW I find an ANS.... Reply with quote

Was helping a friend clean out his garage and noticed this sitting outside next to his deck.

It's in madly sad shape (rusted shielding and weathered palstics) since it's been sitting outside for a few years but it is indeed an ANS 700/150. It even has the keys! Very Happy
The inside looks a lot cleaner so ther is still a chance it can be recovered. Erik and Shiner are the last sources of info on these beasts on the net however the necassary AIX 4.1.x software and installation media is the hard part. Linux is not an alternative (The linux kernels are just as ancient and useless now) so what do I do?
Jenne? You have one. Any ideas?

-NeXT 68040 Cube with NS 3.3 and 64Mb ram
Scutboy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:52 pm    Post subject: ANS Revival Reply with quote

I have two of these guys.

BSD is a viable OS for them. I had to use it because it took me forever until I _finally_ found a copy of the original Apple version of A/UX.

digression-- I had found a set of all the disks minus the actual OS disk on eBay once upon a time for some reasonable <$20.00 price. 2 years later my saved search for Apple A/UX popped up a copy of just the OS cd with a BIN of, like, $10.00. Best part? It was about 10 miles away Smile --end digression.

With BSD, you don't get the graphical console- using the actual built in video/keyboard interfaces leads to instability, or so say the docs. I use an SE/30 with ZTerm as my console.

With BSD the box runs great- it's no speed demon, but I don't expect hardware of this vintage to be fast. It looks like the RAID card is in the box per your photos. BSD supports it. You configure it first via floppy, and then load the OS.

I haven't loaded the A/UX on either of my machines, but I should. Using the on-board interfaces would be nice, but I'm not fond of A/UX.

I don't think the drives require any special firmware, etc. to be used with the RAID card. The card is a Mylex, IIRC.

I'm happy to assist with any attempts at revival; PM me if you require any software assistance, etc. I may have an extra drive sled or two, or some other misc. bits of hardware if you get in trouble.

Don't let it get away; if nothing else, it can be an organ donor for some other ANS out there Crying or Very sad
pentium

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It didn'r run A/UX. It Runs AIX 4.1.x Wink

While I have no A/UX experience, I got plenty of AIX experience from my RS/6000 which runs AIX 5. CDE Is much nicer than a command line I find.

If I can find the original media or a copy of all the original media discs I got a guy here who is offering to give me spare parts from his spare ANS to get mine working. I know he has enough sleds and possibly a DAT drive too.

Scutboy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pentium wrote:
It didn'r run A/UX. It Runs AIX 4.1.x Wink

While I have no A/UX experience, I got plenty of AIX experience from my RS/6000 which runs AIX 5. CDE Is much nicer than a command line I find.

If I can find the original media or a copy of all the original media discs I got a guy here who is offering to give me spare parts from his spare ANS to get mine working. I know he has enough sleds and possibly a DAT drive too.

Sorry - CRC error in wetware on my part - I meant AIX Smile

I'll see if I can image some of my media, but it will be a few days/weeks.
pentium

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem. I'm pulling strings with someone in Seattle as well to see if he has any more recent media.

pentium

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, I would like to be very thankful to a man who I will only name "M" for making this moment possible.

Anyways, many hours and several phone calls later I am now in possession of one...

two....

THREE!

That's right, I now own all three systems and I'm very thankful that M was nice enough to do this.
Anyways, I powered one up immediately, I have yet to do another one and the nasty one I spent the afternoon stripping down and cleaning the entire system. It's a lot nicer now but to be on the safe side I won't try powering it on until the box dries out.
That floppy disk was also the RAID card configuration disk. I'm greatful that was not lost.

That was not all. Remember how when the Macintosh was released, they had the signatures of the team stamped inside of the case? Well when I took the front off, it appears the same applies here for the ANS team.

This is looking to become an awesome summer! Cool

Scutboy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I thought I was nuts for making a 300 mile round trip so I could have two!

Very Happy

Have fun!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Apple Hardware All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: