NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
High CPU use with NextStep 3.3 in VMWare 2.0.7?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Emulation / Virtualization
View previous topic :: View next topic  
virtualbob

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:32 pm    Post subject: High CPU use with NextStep 3.3 in VMWare 2.0.7? Reply with quote

I have NextStep 3.3 pretty much setup in VMWare 2.0.7 with info from here (thanks!) and other sites. Networking seems to work now, and updated the VMWareFB video driver from Andreas to 1.1.3 so now it works full-screen at 1920x1200! (I had to remember to change the mouse dimensions to the larger screen though or it wouldn't use the full screen).

One thing that still seems unresolved is there is high CPU use, even when the guest is just idle. On a Core2Duo 2GHz MacBook Pro it seems to use at least 50-70% of one CPU and maybe 30% of the other. I've read that BSD unix doesn't lend itself well to virtualization, but other Linuxes seem to work fine without high CPU load (like Ubuntu for instance).

Just wondering if there is any optimizations or settings in VMWare or in the guest to cut down on the idle CPU use. Any suggestions?
eagle

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some OSes just don't seem to virtualize well. I believe it has to do with the way the OS handles idle time. Newer OSes seem to virtualize better, but older ones, such as NeXT-based OSes, and OS/2, just don't do well.

If you figure out how to tweak Fusion to better virtualize these OSes, I'd love to learn about it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Emulation / Virtualization All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: