NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
How to port and compile applications?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Porting New Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NeXTsociety

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:18 pm    Post subject: How to port and compile applications? Reply with quote

So, I always see this discussion of compiling and porting apps to NeXT but often wonder if this is a real "high tech" thing or is fairly basic and can be done but most anyone with a little Step-by-Step.

So, I kind of understand that you can download the source code from the Net and then use some application to compile it for your own platform but I am sure it is a bit more complicated than that.

So..... is there a Step-by-Step procedure on how to compile apps for use on our Black NeXT machines? Would be fun to find source of apps that have not been done yet and do this.

Or, does one need to be a programmer type to "append" to the source to even make it compilable on a NeXT?

tj
itomato

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a commonality among much of the software available on NS/OS, such that certain pieces may be incrementally updated to what's currently available. kb7sqi is noted for work there.

Generally speaking, the applications available are core OS applications, versus GUI-driven programs you'd interact with directly; shells and shell applications, application components (libraries), and the like.

There is a wealth of information on the internet to get you started compiling open source apps with the GNU toolchain.

There are some excellent tutorials on Openstep and Cocoa programming that correspond fairly well with one another, some with video.
kb7sqi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:28 pm    Post subject: Re: How to port and compile applications? Reply with quote

NeXTsociety wrote:
So, I always see this discussion of compiling and porting apps to NeXT but often wonder if this is a real "high tech" thing or is fairly basic and can be done but most anyone with a little Step-by-Step.

So, I kind of understand that you can download the source code from the Net and then use some application to compile it for your own platform but I am sure it is a bit more complicated than that.

So..... is there a Step-by-Step procedure on how to compile apps for use on our Black NeXT machines? Would be fun to find source of apps that have not been done yet and do this.

Or, does one need to be a programmer type to "append" to the source to even make it compilable on a NeXT?

tj

TJ,
I'd say here there's 2 different categories of "software." First being software designed for NEXTSTEP/OPENSTEP ie using the GUI, and second being *nix software which most runs via the command line or via X11. For software that uses Objective-C there's several good references on the net even in PDF form that can be great for learning. Now when it comes to porting "*nix" software, there's always been a few "general rules," but like I stated earlier, no 2 ports are the same. Sometimes you're missing simple things like a #define here & then or missing a header file. Sometimes you're missing something like strdup(), putenv(), etc. Those are easy to fix. The biggest problem compiling stuff on NEXTSTEP/OPENSTEP these days is one of two things, POSIX crap or the current "stock" compilers are starting to show their age. Mostly POSIX stuff though. lol. In NEXTSTEP 3.3 there's POSIX support, but it's broken & buggy. Then in OPENSTEP 4.2, the "defines" in the headers are still there, but there's no posix support in the stock compilers. You can work around this, but the easiest way to start porting stuff is to basically grab whatever source you want to try to compile, have your browser opened up w/ a couple of tabs. One for google.com, & the second one opened to an advanced search on groups.google.com & search in the comp.sys.next.* groups. The usenet archives are a treasure and today most FTP servers have been taken offline. UUCP what's that? Gopher? Never heard of it. lol. It's really amazing how far we've came in 20+ years, yet how far we've hurt the net also. Oh well, that's a discusion for another time. Wink I hope that helps point you in the right direction. Spend some time looking over some of the old "ports" archives on one of the NeXT archives. When I first started years ago, that how I learned. I "googled" for hours & hours, spent hours pouring over ports. If you're interested in compiling something specific let me know. I'll be happy to try to help you through it. Take care.

Steve
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Porting New Software All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: