NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Mac OS X Server 1.2 on an iMac G3?Anyone been able to do it?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
eisnerguy1

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 10:38 am    Post subject: Mac OS X Server 1.2 on an iMac G3?Anyone been able to do it? Reply with quote

I figured this was the best place to ask about this. A little backstory though. I recently acquired the following iMac (from my school. They were just going to toss it. Seems to be in amazing shape):
iMac G3 700Mhz
256MB RAM
60GB HD
Airport card installed

I also got Mac OS X Server 1.2 from a friend & attempted to install it. Came across some issues/questions & was wondering if anyone had any luck doing something similar:

1) Booted from the Mac OS 9.2.1 CD
2) Partitioned the HD in half (MacOS & Rhapsody drives)
3) Installed 9.2.1 on the MacOS drive
4) Installed the 9.2.2 update on the MacOS drive
5) Rebooted using the MacOS drive & finished the setup & configuration process
6) Inserted the Mac OS X Server 1.2v3 (or either 1.2, not sure which one it is) disc.
7) Opened up the disc & located the "System Disk Utilities" folder

8) Copied the "System Disk Extension" to the Extensions folder & "System Disk" to the Applications folder.
9) Opened System Disk (to make sure that the install cd was ok) & saw this:

10) Opened "Startup Disk" to make sure & saw this:

11) With everything looking ok (and all drives present and accounted for), I opened "Mac OS X Server 1.2" disc & clicked on "Install Mac OS X Server"
12) I enabled "Install on unsupported configurations"

13) I followed the on-screen instructions, selected the "Rhapsody" drive & then selected doing a custom installation.

14) It then said something along the lines of "Configuring your computer to start up from the Mac OS X CD" & then restarted

15) The computer restarted & I heard the the cd starting to spin. I just saw the flashing question mark/face folder icon

& then it booted into 9.2.2

16) Followed the same tests as before & saw these this time

The Rhapsody partition is no longer showing up. The Install Disc still looks ok though.

When I got to the installation process & was selecting the Rhapsody disk, it said something like "Previous Selected Install Partition". It then gave the same preparation message as before and it now said "To continue installation, click restart". I hit restart & then it show the flashing folder icon again & then booted into 9.2.2.

18) I rebooted the computer, while holding down the alt key & only saw this icon (I recreated it. No possible way to take a screenshot of that screen)

I clicked it & Mac OS 9.2.2 booted. Throughout the entire process, I have not removed the Mac OS X Server Install Disc.

Since the "Rhapsody" partition won't mount anymore, I booted into FireWire Disk mode & connected my iMac to my MacBook Pro & opened Disk Utility. It shows the partition as this:

I then erased the Rhapsody partition & set the format for Mac OS X Extended. That's where I stand. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
bkmoore

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to Apple's technical support: http://support.apple.com/kb/TA28250, none of the iMacs are officially supported by Mac OS X Server 1.x.

There may be a hack to get it running, but if the hardware drivers are missing, you may be out of luck. But interestingly, Rhapsody is officially supported on the original eMac (non ATI-GPU). So that may be a possibility if you're intent on running Rhapsody on an all-in-one computer.

Brian Moore
mrintel

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was able to get Mac OS X Server 1.0 to work on a G3 iMac (Grape, non-slotloading). I did exactly what eisnerguy did, and it worked fine for me. The only issue I had was i couldn't have the mouse and keyboard plugged into both USB ports. I either had to plug the mouse into the keyboard, or unplug and replug the mouse in at the login screen.
Hope this helps.
neozeed

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrintel wrote:
I was able to get Mac OS X Server 1.0 to work on a G3 iMac (Grape, non-slotloading). I did exactly what eisnerguy did, and it worked fine for me. The only issue I had was i couldn't have the mouse and keyboard plugged into both USB ports. I either had to plug the mouse into the keyboard, or unplug and replug the mouse in at the login screen.
Hope this helps.

I ran 1.0 on a 233Mhz imac, I think it was 'lime'... But yes, the USB is ULTRA picky about how to plug it in... I recall it being very simple just put the disc in, run the setup, tell it to continue on the unsupported machine, and away it went....

Also hard disk sizes were VERY important back then... I think 6GB was the largest disk available..?

I still have all my CD's for OSX 1.0 & the 1.2 update but I don't have any machine capable of running it anymore.
RacerX

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't had time to read everything, but a quick look at the screen shots has me wondering why you have Mac OS 9 on what seems to be the first (front) partition.

Rhapsody needs to be on either the first (front) partition, or on a partition within the first (front) 1 GB of the master drive. It is generally a bad idea to attempt to install on anything other than the first partition.

You shouldn't worry too much if you can find the target partition after a failed installation. What the installer does is add a tag to that partition with your installation options for the Rhapsody installer on the Rhapsody partition of your CD to read when setting it up. All other partition formating information is removed at that point.

I'll come back by later today and read through this thread more thoroughly. There are ways to force the installation through some hurdles.
neozeed

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do recall that with 1.0 if you updated the macos level it'd screw everything up.. I'd stick to what ever version the 1.2 media came with, no updates....

I recall it being some version 8 thing with 1.0 .... I got the update CD to go to 1.2 but you couldn't install from it....

Or did they all boot from OS 9, then install 8 into the bluebox...?

It's been far too long... .but stick with what it came with out of the box... The release notes should mention about how picky it is as to where what partitions live etc...
mrintel

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I recall it being some version 8 thing with 1.0 .... I got the update CD to go to 1.2 but you couldn't install from it....

It's been far too long... .but stick with what it came with out of the box... The release notes should mention about how picky it is as to where what partitions live etc...

1.0 boots off the cd with 8.5.1 and has 8.5.1 in the bluebox
1.2 boots off the cd with 9.0 and has 8.6 in the bluebox

8.6 is as high as you can go in any bluebox with any OS X Server 1.x software

in my opinion, if you're going to use old classic programs, just stick with using one partion and use the bluebox
neozeed

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrintel wrote:
Quote:

1.0 boots off the cd with 8.5.1 and has 8.5.1 in the bluebox
1.2 boots off the cd with 9.0 and has 8.6 in the bluebox

8.6 is as high as you can go in any bluebox with any OS X Server 1.x software

in my opinion, if you're going to use old classic programs, just stick with using one partion and use the bluebox

Yeah that sounds right... I remember updating to OS9 in the bluebox when it came out, it was going to be so awesome.... lol it completely trashed everything...

Thank goodness I had the sense to backup all my work stuff beforehand!

I did like how OS X included all the dev tools that were separate in the nextstep days. But the 1.x stuff really was 'it's meant to run in this way, and if you deviate slightly from the path, it wont work.'...
RacerX

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, a 60 GB hard drive divided in half (two 30 GB partitions) with the target partition being the second one is pretty much a no-go as I stated earlier.

Any other problems that come up most likely can be addressed after that has been rectified.
roo

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 400 MHz iMac DV SE (Graphite) and have also been trying to get this working. I have spilt the 13 GB drive in half and set the first 6.5 GB partition for the OS X Server install, having booted from the CD.

It reboots and the Mac OS X Server splash screen comes up with various messages in the bottom of the splash screen. The last one appears briefly and states "It is now safe to turn off your computer." Then the iMac powers off.

IIRC, I thought it was supposed to restart at this point, but it shuts down instead. I turn it on manually and when it's booted the Openstep-style installation window appears. I type 1 to use English, but then it complains it can't find the "preselected installation target".

So that is as far as I am able to get.
neozeed

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try a way smaller partition... like 1gig

and make the osx one the 1st on the disk...
RacerX

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roo wrote:
I have a 400 MHz iMac DV SE (Graphite) and have also been trying to get this working...

I'm wondering... have you replaced the DVD drive with a CD-ROM drive on that system? I was under the impression that DVD drives weren't supported by Rhapsody (for either installation or use after installation).

With the number of exceptions and the loss of Stepwise, I can see that I'm going to need to put together a more comprehensive page on installing versions of Rhapsody on Apple (and clone) hardware.
roo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried a 1 GB partition, but no joy.

The DVD drive thing is interesting though. I have a G4 Server from 1999 that came with Rhapsody 5.6 and it has a DVD (ROM) drive. I've not had to do a reinstall on that as yet, but I have used the restore disc and that works fine. But then that runs under OS 9 and is the usual disc image based restore process (this restores both the OS 9 and X partitions).

I have a vague recollection that the unsupported iMacs that were listed as successful on Stepwise were the tray-loading machines. I don't think the slot-loasding ones were mentioned.
RacerX

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roo wrote:
The DVD drive thing is interesting though. I have a G4 Server from 1999 that came with Rhapsody 5.6 and it has a DVD (ROM) drive.
The DVD drive in iMacs are not the same as the ones in G4 Servers. I was addressing iMacs specifically, not all Macs in general.

But the question is, are you using the restore CD or the installation CD on your iMac? As I recall, the restore skips the booting from the Rhapsody partition of the CD, so it wouldn't really matter if you had a DVD drive in that case (as I recall).
protocol7

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing eisnerguy1's stumbling point is the minimum system his iMac will run. My Summer 2001 G3 500 came with 9.2 and won't boot anything earlier. Older iMacs could boot from 8.6 upwards which is closer to the MacOS partition on the install discs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Rhapsody All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: