NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
PCI IDE cards compatible with Rhapsody/OSXS?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
protocol7

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:35 pm    Post subject: PCI IDE cards compatible with Rhapsody/OSXS? Reply with quote

I recently picked up a B&W G3 hoping to install Server 1.0 onto it. However it's turned out to be the proverbial "bag of hurt" as the board is a Rev.1 which had a broken IDE controller. There was no drive in the machine and I haven't been able to get one working in it since. A PCI IDE card would be the obvious fix but would I have trouble installing Rhapsody then?

I already tried with a PC AHA-2940UW SCSI card flashed with a Mac bios but while I was able to initialize the disk in the initial OS8 part of the install, when it booted into Mach it couldn't see any disks.
RacerX

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: PCI IDE cards compatible with Rhapsody/OSXS? Reply with quote

The 2940UW card is known not to be compatible. But the Adaptec 2930 SCSI card does seem to work.

The best bet is to use the cards Apple shipped with those systems... the Ultra2 LVD SCSI card (part number 661-2148 for the single channel, 661-2171 for the dual channel).
protocol7

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a feeling the 2940UW might not be supported but I was just trying to work with the few parts I had to hand. Do you know what the situation is with IDE cards?

I ended up swapping over the IDE cables (put HD on the slower cdrom connection) and managed to get OSXS installed. Bit of a dirty hack but it will do until I can figure out how to avoid IDE corruption.
protocol7

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh one other question while I have your attention. There's a firmware update available for this G3. I think it's needed for OS X and possibly OS9 as well. Before I apply it, I want to be sure it won't have any adverse effects on Rhapsody. It's taken me a long time to get a compatible machine and I'd hate to hose it up with a firmware update. I also picked up a Gigabit Ethernet recently, but finding 1.2v3 has proven to be difficult.
RacerX

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately I don't have any data on any attempts to use PCI ATA/IDE cards with any version of Rhapsody. I've been considering trying out one of the older Sonnet models on my 8600/300 to get a little more room on that system (and maybe start using the Quicktime Streaming Server function), but I haven't gotten around to it as yet.

I feel for you having to deal with a rev 1 B&W... those are some of the worst systems I've had to deal with. I've put down two of them (and I rarely let any Mac get disposed of), and ended up replacing the logic board on a third. I, personally, wouldn't risk the firmware update on that system. One of the other issues that I recall popping up was that they became quite picky about the type of memory that was installed after one of the updates. In a lot of cases, if you can't point to a specific benefit you know you'll get from an update/upgrade, it is better to avoid them. The update won't fix the logic board issues with that model, so I'd hold off if I were you.

I'll look around for 1.2v3, but I haven't been watching the availability of Mac OS X Server 1.x recently (and I had been looking for specific printings of the 1.0 release to round out my collection when I was).
protocol7

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I didn't realise there were issues with the B&Ws so I just jumped right on in and got it when I saw it for sale. Despite a couple of frustrating days trying to get a hard disk working it now seems to be running OK (albeit slowly: a bit over 13mb/sec) with the IDE cables swapped. I can probably manage without an ATA card for the time being but I was curious to know what the situation was with them in Rhapsody as there didn't seem to be a list anywhere.

I would like to install the OS X Developer Previews next and play around with those before settling down with a Mac OS/OSXS dualboot so I may end up having to update the firmware. Though I'll avoid it if possible Smile

BTW the version I have is 1.0 v377 (Juno1J2). I haven't seen it mentioned on any version lists (including yours). In fact, googling Juno1J2 finds just one hit. Is there something special about it?
RacerX

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

protocol7 wrote:
BTW the version I have is 1.0 v377 (Juno1J2). I haven't seen it mentioned on any version lists (including yours). In fact, googling Juno1J2 finds just one hit. Is there something special about it?

Doesn't sound familiar... What does the media look like?
itomato

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC, the non-UW 2940 firmware works. Downside: narrow scsi.

I went down the flashed 2940UW road with a Beige and 9500, but it's been almost ten years ago now.
protocol7

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RacerX wrote:
Doesn't sound familiar... What does the media look like?

Shiny and silver alas, but I found a clue on your site as to what the original media probably looked like. Seems it's probably a 1.1 misprint.

@itomato: Do you know where I could find the 2940 firmware? I've searched on the Adaptec site but can only find the 2940UW one. I'm guessing flashing a 2940U2B firmware wouldn't work?

I need to get a better SCSI disk anyway as the one I have sounds pretty beat-up. But I wouldn't mind trying a flashed 2940 firmware just to see if it works. I could pick up a proper Apple card while I'm at it, but I really don't want to sink too much more money into this G3. I already think buying it was a mistake.
itomato

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it's the narrow SCSI card that worked..

Just ran across this:
http://www.omnigroup.com/mailman/archive/macosx-dev/1997-May/000606.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Rhapsody All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: