NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Powermac G3 450 vs Powermac G4 450 performance on MXS 1.2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
unixphreak

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:01 pm    Post subject: Powermac G3 450 vs Powermac G4 450 performance on MXS 1.2 Reply with quote

Does Server 1.2 have enough or any G4 specific optimizations for a G4 450 to out perform a G3 450? I would like to get a G4 but a G3 would do if Server 1.2 has no use or awareness of the AltiVec engine.

Thanks and I hope nothing happened to RacerX I have PM'ed him a few times and have not heard back. I know this is the busy holiday time so I am just asking questions and having fun with Rhapsody 5.6.

Love the system!!!

Last edited by unixphreak on Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
RacerX

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: Powermac G3 450 vs Powermac G4 450 performance on MXS 1. Reply with quote

unixphreak wrote:
Thanks and I hope nothing happened to RacerX I have PM'ed him a few times and have not heard back.

I'm still kicking... sort of. Sad

I spent the last couple weeks in North Carolina with my aunt, uncle and cousins (and their kids). Plus I got sick late last week and I'm still running a 102 temperature.

When my head clears up a little more I'll try to catch up on Posts/PMs. Right now I'd most likely give bad (or incoherent) information.

What I can tell you is that a G4 should provide a significant speed boost. In fact, using the G4s as a workstation system has some interesting issues as there wasn't a governor for some aspects of the GUI. There was a number of tips on how to slow down some of the GUI aspects that were too fast on G4s, but I'll have to look them up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Rhapsody All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: