NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
New Drivers?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cubist

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:58 am    Post subject: New Drivers? Reply with quote

So, say someone was inclined to put the effort into writing a few device drivers for newer hardware (graphics, network, other...). What would be the interesting devices to support in 3.3 and 4.2? Mobile vs desktop probably needs to be distinguished. And specs available so someplace like OpenBSD might have to be the feeder for this project?
helf

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want a larger collection of FS drivers.

Being able to read more than UFS, HPFS, Dos and ISO9660 would be awesome... Smile
Nitro
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hereís a few things on my NS/OS driver wish list (desktop):

1.) A driver for serial ATA hard disks. Possibly a port of the Linux SATA driver if thatís practical or possible.
2.) A new EIDE driver that supports IDE hard disks larger than 8.4Gb.
3.) Support for newer sound cards or an audio library, such as the Advanced Linux Sound Architecture, Open Sound, or ?
4.) A driver for USB thumb drives.
5.) Gigabit Ethernet.
mdriftmeyer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nitro wrote:
Hereís a few things on my NS/OS driver wish list (desktop):

1.) A driver for serial ATA hard disks. Possibly a port of the Linux SATA driver if thatís practical or possible.
2.) A new EIDE driver that supports IDE hard disks larger than 8.4Gb.
3.) Support for newer sound cards or an audio library, such as the Advanced Linux Sound Architecture, Open Sound, or ?
4.) A driver for USB thumb drives.
5.) Gigabit Ethernet.

Ditto.
kb7sqi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. I for one would really love to have drivers for 8+ gig partitions more than anything. USB would be nice also. One of these days, I really need to stop working for a while & learn more about NeXT drivers/Objective-C. I need a few video drivers also. I'd even be willing to pay for some drivers!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
cubist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:53 pm    Post subject: Not to discourage anyone but... Reply with quote

kb7sqi wrote:
I agree. I for one would really love to have drivers for 8+ gig partitions more than anything. USB would be nice also. One of these days, I really need to stop working for a while & learn more about NeXT drivers/Objective-C. I need a few video drivers also. I'd even be willing to pay for some drivers!

Keep all the suggestions coming everything will be considered. I noticed the portable side of things isn't really moving. I will say large partitions are unlikely in the extreme. This isn't a driver in the true sense of the word. It's a filesystem implementation along with utilities to support it (fsck, formatter, probably dump). Boot loader won't know about the format so couldn't use it. And wiring a new one into the OS in a correct way is probably a challenge. Though honestly I don't know, I never dug into those parts of the driver/lkm support.

Graphics devices that have published docs should be a relative breeze. USB and/or firewire will need some effort as these are really buses and need quite a bit of intrastructure. 100Mb ethernet shouldn't be too bad. But GigE is a different beast. As the stack is so old and insecure, you never want a NS/OS facing the outside world. But what the hell, we'll see.

Sound devices should be easy though the cards have a rep for nasty bugs. However trying to bring another kernel-based audio structure to NS/OS is probably difficult and I'm not certain what the benefit is other than source compatibility. The stuff at CCRMA is the last native audio model.
mgtremaine

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about a tun driver? No idea if that would be possible but somehow getting vpnc or something like that would be very nice.

-Mike
cubist

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:18 pm    Post subject: Candidates Reply with quote

Okay, below is a list of candidate devices I'm considering. It's more based on desktop than laptop (I don't pay attention to non-mac laptops) so comment, correct, opine, whatever....

10T/100TX

• Suggestions?

Wireless

• Atheros (PCI, USB, CardBus?)
  • Ralink?

GigE

• Alteon Tigon-based (3Com 3c985, alteon)
  • National 8382x-based (Dlink DGE-500T)
  • Intel PRO/1000??? Some flavor(s)
  • Broadcom BCM57xx based (3Com 3c966*)
  • SysKonnect-based (which?)

Sound

• ESS Alegro-1/Maestro-3
  • SB (Live! PCI512?)

USB

• uhci
  • ohci
  • ehci

SCSI/PCI

• ???

SATA

• ???

Video

• Nvidia Geforce 2/3/4/256/quadro/nforce/blahblah
  • ATI Radeon (with AMD docs)
  • Intel i810
Nitro
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An upgrade of the NE2000 network driver to full duplex would be top notch. Smile A native Nvidia driver would also be nice because it would allow (hopefully) adjustment of the refresh rate, unlike the VESA VBE driver.
cubist

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nitro wrote:
An upgrade of the NE2000 network driver to full duplex would be top notch. Smile A native Nvidia driver would also be nice because it would allow (hopefully) adjustment of the refresh rate, unlike the VESA VBE driver.

My follow-through on this one has been abyssmal. (Shame emoticon) Just too much work recently.
Nitro
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to worry, thatís very understandable and your efforts are appreciated. Iím finishing up an updated OPENSTEP CD and looking to add any third party drivers that would be relevant, so I thought I would revisit this topic.
andreas_g

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A refresh of the drivers for VMWare's virtual hardware would be great!
There are several problems, at least in VMWare Fusion (2.0.6)

VMWareFB display driver:
only 1024 x 768 seems to work (millions of colors), it would be great to have more resolutions to choose from, adding widescreen resolutions would also be great!

SoundBlasterPCI driver for VMWare:
the only sound-output I get is the warning sound of NeXTStep (ni!)

VMXNet driver:
network driver is not woring at all! (it's said it worked in Fusion up to 2.0 and broke with 2.0.1, never tested myself)

The only VMWare driver i have no problems with is the mouse driver.

Also great would be a display driver for NeXTStep 3.3 under VirtualBox to support greater resolutions and millions colors!
pitz

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andreas_g wrote:
Also great would be a display driver for NeXTStep 3.3 under VirtualBox to support greater resolutions and millions colors!

Maybe related... I use the VESA driver for OPENSTEP 4.2 under VirtualBox in Windows and it supports higher resolutions. Haven't tried using it under 3.3 though.
andreas_g

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@pitz:

This is good for OPENSTEP, but doesn't work with NeXTStep 3.3
Nitro
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have mentioned in my driver wish list a new EIDE driver that supports IDE hard disks larger than 8.4Gb AND supports DMA access mode, rather than PIO mode.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> White Hardware All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: