NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Jackling House is Demolished

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pentium

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:12 am    Post subject: Jackling House is Demolished Reply with quote

It's over.

Quote:
Apple CEO Steve Jobs' 10-year battle with preservationists over the Jackling House ended this week, with the wrecking ball finally falling on the decades-old mansion in Woodside.

Woodside officials issued final demolition permits last week, Town Manager Susan George said Tuesday, and the tear-down of the 14-bedroom, 17,250-square-foot Spanish Colonial Revival home built in 1925 is under way.

"The site has been prepared for demolition, and I think they actually physically started the demolition process (Monday)," George said.

Jobs, who bought the house in the early 1980s, lived there for about a decade and then rented it out. The mansion has been vacant for more than 10 years and the Apple CEO wants to replace it with a smaller, modern home. He first asked Woodside officials for permission to knock it down in 2001.

Since then, a group calling itself Uphold Our Heritage has fought for the Jackling House's preservation, pointing to the mansion's historical significance and claiming Jobs intentionally let it fall into disrepair. The group won a lawsuit in 2006 that claimed the town had relied on inadequate environmental documents in approving permits for demolition.

Jobs, however, returned in 2008 with a beefed-up application. The Woodside Town Council approved the request again, and in March 2010, San Mateo County Superior Court Judge Marie Weiner upheld the council's decision.

In an interview with The Associated Press,
Advertisement
Uphold Our Heritage's attorney, Doug Carstens, called the home's razing a "shame." Carstens did not return calls for further comment to The Daily News.

Over the past couple of years, there have been proposals to move the house elsewhere. The town council approved a deal in 2009 under which Palo Alto angel investor Gordon Smythe would have dismantled, stored and at some point rebuilt the house on another property, but it fell apart amid the ongoing litigation.

Last year, Woodside couple Jason and Magalli Yoho said they were interested in moving the house to their property. The Yohos and Jobs "never were able to find mutually acceptable terms for an agreement," said Town Manager George.

George said the demolition of the Jackling House will "close 11 years of history" for the town.

"No matter what you think about the house, it's nice to get something wrapped up," she said.

**SOURCE**

Too bad. Regardless, ten years of neglect on the palce really ran it down.

-NeXT 68040 Cube with NS 3.3 and 64Mb ram
Nitro
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Friends of the Jackling House are pretty upset about the demolition.

http://www.friendsofthejacklinghouse.org/index.html
neozeed

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:58 am    Post subject: .. Reply with quote

I don't get it, it's HIS house, why do others even have a say?
tomaz

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: .. Reply with quote

neozeed wrote:
I don't get it, it's HIS house, why do others even have a say?
Because we live in a world where private individuals own nothing and the government owns everything, including the individuals themselves, but real estate most obviously. You may be called the "owner" of "your" house, but in truth, you are merely the government's tenant: you can't make any alterations to your property without your landlord's (the government's) consent, you can't knock it down without your landlord's (the government's) consent, you can be evicted and have your property repossessed if you don't pay your rent (also called property tax), your landlord (the government) can evict you from their ("your") house any time they like and knock it down in order to build a road or a hospital, or even to let ("sell") the land to another tenant (e.g. to a commercial enterprise wanting to build a skyscraper). They can require you to keep the house occupied and if you fail to do so, they can put another tenant into it (at least they can in the UK). As for yourself, the government can draft you into military service any time they want to and send you in harm's way or into a mission of certain death, and if you disobey your orders ("desert"), they can have you court-martialled and shot. And you thought you owned your own life at least. And so on and so forth.

As with all publicly-owned property, everyone and anyone can claim the right to voice his opinion as to what should or should not be done with it.

Since Steve Jobs supports the Democratic party, which advocates such socialized ownership more than anybody in the U.S., he can hardly invoke the "I own the thing and I can do what I like with it" argument, can he.

Having said that, I think it is a shame when properties of historical significance are knocked down, even by their legitimate owners. I guess the situation is somewhat similar, although on a much lesser scale, to the owner of Hagia Sofia, the Taj Mahal, or the Colosseum, deciding to knock one of them down.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
bkmoore

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fundamental fact of life is that we all will die someday. It is impossible for an individual to own anything in perpetuity. The best case is one can pass property on to descendants. But to keep on topic about NeXT hardware and software, I doubt my descendants would have any interest in my NeXTStation. Maybe the government will... Very Happy

quick edit: Along this line of logic, having the house destroyed might be a positive sign for Steve Jobs health. Otherwise, why would he bother. Just a thought.
Thomas

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rather think it’s a case of Cäsarenwahn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: