NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
What TFT's work on black hardware

View previous topic :: View next topic  
brams

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:42 am    Post subject: What TFT's work on black hardware Reply with quote

Can any tell me what TFT monitors are known to work on NeXT colour computers. I'd prefer a decent brand (LG, Sony etc) and also like something in black, it would also be better if it supported DVI and SVGA/13w3 and Sync on Green.

Cheers
brams
Andreas

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sony SDM-S94
brams

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:30 am    Post subject: Not exactly a TFT but Reply with quote

ViewSonic PJ500 DLP works find using composite sync (with LM1881 sync stripper IC) & SOG.
urbanape

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone have an idea on these? Awful nice price (modulo rebate):

http://www.pcconnection.com/B2C/Shop/Rebate/RebateDetail?Sku=6732798&SourceID=k3787
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
weps

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what is the determining factor for which displays work? i've just started investigating and haven't found mention of anything that will work without modification. having to use the next megapixel display is pretty much the only thing keeping me from buying a next box.
brams

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems your guaranteed success with a Viewsonic VX series TFT, other than that it seems to be a question if the TFT can lock onto the timing/resolution of the NeXT's output, which I don't think conforms to VESA standards, so it seems to be a bit hit and miss, for example, on the old forum somebody had a Viewsonic VP171b working on a Turbo Slab, I've got the same monitor & computer and mine does not work.

Other than that, you need a TFT the does sync on green and you also need a 13w3 to SVGA adaptor with a gender changer, you also need to make sure the 13w3 adaptor is wired correct, an SGI one should work out of the box, a Sun one might need you to snap some of the small pins out of the adaptor.

But I have a hunch my VP171b does not work (does not sync) because I'm using an ADB Soundbox which runs the video at 72hz on a Color Slab, non ADB runs it at 68hz (same as a NeXTdimension), and if I recall, on the old forum that guy was using non ADB on his slab. To confirm that, I *think* my VP171b works on my NeXTdimension but I ain't sure and my cube is 4000 miles away Sad
it68000

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,
In fact I'm using a Viewsonic VX922 on a NEXTstation color non-ADB. It work very well. Good idea to have a list of new LCD monitors that are known to work on NEXT computers.
Tommaso.
idylukewild

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've had it with NeXT brand monitors! A capicitor in the horizontal circuit of my FIMI Philips exploded (with smoke and a loud noise).

Although I was able to replace it with another metalized polyester film capacitor and get the monitor to work, I've decided to purchase a Viewsonic VX922 (thanks for the tip, it68000).

I looked around for installation instructions and thought I'd need to fiddle with stuff, but it worked perfectly right out of the box - not a single adjustment was needed! I'm using a cable that converts the Viewsonic VGA to 13w3 connector. Best image I've ever seen with my NeXT computer! Huge improvement over the worn out old vacuum tube monitors I've been using!
blackcube

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brams wrote:
But I have a hunch my VP171b does not work (does not sync) because I'm using an ADB Soundbox which runs the video at 72hz on a Color Slab, non ADB runs it at 68hz (same as a NeXTdimension), and if I recall, on the old forum that guy was using non ADB on his slab. To confirm that, I *think* my VP171b works on my NeXTdimension but I ain't sure and my cube is 4000 miles away Sad

A Vx922 should work as the specifications state the sync range as:

Technical Features
Form Factor Desktop
Digital Video Input Standard DVI-D
Synchronization Range - Vertical 50 - 75 Hz
Synchronization Range - Horizontal 30 - 82 kHz
Max. Viewing Angle - Horizontal 150
Max. Viewing Angle - Vertical 135
Native (Recommended) Resolution 1280 x 1024

So the NeXT ADB range of 72hz is within the Vx922's stated specifications. Since both of my N4005's are getting old, I may have to try a couple of these.
gregor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:28 pm    Post subject: Flat panel monitor on Turbo color slab Reply with quote

OK, experts, I got it hooked up and it works- for the most part. I won't say the video is crummy, but it's just not the same crisp, clear output that my Sun/Sony XRT monitor gives. Colors aren't bad - it's mostly the text that looks a little smeared with less than distinct letters. I've tried two 13W3 to SVGA adapters, and the signal looks the same on both. The Dell 1901FP is new and looks beautiful connected to a PC or Mac.
The video res off the monitor display is 1024x786 @72 Hz, and the fact that I'm seeing video tells me it's not a sync issue. Any thoughts or suggestions GRATEFULLY accepted.

gregor
itomato

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried using the Auto Adjust?

The NeXT is going to output video at a non-native resolution for that panel, i.e., 1120x832.

1024x768 is the closest it's likely to get, unless you get your hands dirty with the Phase and Clock settings on the display to dial in something closer to the output frequencies of the NeXT.
it68000

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe this is a little bit off topic but probably it is worth a look at this page http://playstation2-linux.com/sog.php. It is an user database of old and recent CRT/LCD monitors which are (or not) "sync on green" capable. Made by the linux community working on linux for playstation2 (playstation2 also needs a sync on green monitor Smile ). I may be usefull to quickly identify a possible SOG monitor and later on check details at the manufacturer site.
chriskapeller

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:36 am    Post subject: Dell 2405FPW and LG 1810B working on Cube Reply with quote

Dell 2405FPW and LG 1810B working on Cube

These two TFT are working with my Cube (Turbo). Try to get my hands on a dimension to test them too...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> New Technology All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: