NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Installing GCC

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Porting New Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MahRain

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:14 am    Post subject: Installing GCC Reply with quote

I have NeXTSTEP 3.3 running and didn't want to wipe everything and install the developer edition, so I figured I'd grab the gcc-libs-NI and gcc-2.7.2.33-m68k packages, install them and I could at least compile hello.c.

What i get now is that gcc works but complains immediately that it can't find stdio.h. Wasn't this installed with gcc-libs? I even have the man page for stdio.h.
t-rexky

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Installing GCC Reply with quote

You will need the Developer installed in order to be able to compile anything. You do not need to wipe your existing installation - The Developer CD packages install on top of an existing NS3.3 installation. After you install the Developer, make sure you then install the patch as well.

MahRain wrote:
I have NeXTSTEP 3.3 running and didn't want to wipe everything and install the developer edition, so I figured I'd grab the gcc-libs-NI and gcc-2.7.2.33-m68k packages, install them and I could at least compile hello.c.

What i get now is that gcc works but complains immediately that it can't find stdio.h. Wasn't this installed with gcc-libs? I even have the man page for stdio.h.
MahRain

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, so I inserted the Developer CD and found no installable packages there, just some folders like lib, bin, NextDeveloper, NextCD and such. That's why I figured it would be a clean install of an OS.

So I should get out my boot floppy and go from there with the Developer CD in the CDROM?
t-rexky

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The packages are in the /NextCD/Packages directory. Install them in the following order: (i) DeveloperTools.pkg, (ii) DeveloperLibs.pkg and (iii) DeveloperDoc.pkg.

Selecting the architectures when installing is a bit confusing. For DeveloperTools you select the architecture that you want the tools to run on - typically this means only your native architecture, unless your NeXT serves its Developer installation to other architectures over NFS. For DeveloperLibs you select the architectures for which you want to be able to compile the software - if you want to create multi architecture binaries for all four architectures then select all.

Don't bother installing GNUSource.pkg unless you intend to fiddle with the NeXT gcc, gdb or as.

After the three above packages, just to be safe and to follow the NeXT installation sequence, install (or reinstall) the patch from http://www.nextcomputers.org/NeXTfiles/Software/NEXTSTEP/Patches/NEXTSTEP_3.3_User_Patch_3/NS33CISCUserPatch3.tar (assuming you are not running on HP or SPARC, in which case you will need the RISC patch).

Then, finally install the Developer patch from http://www.nextcomputers.org/NeXTfiles/Software/NEXTSTEP/Patches/NEXTSTEP_3.3_Developer_Patch_2/NS33DeveloperPatch2.tar. Select the same architecture here as for DeveloperLibs above (To be safe, since I cannot remember if this patch updates any of the devel libraries.)

MahRain wrote:
Alright, so I inserted the Developer CD and found no installable packages there, just some folders like lib, bin, NextDeveloper, NextCD and such. That's why I figured it would be a clean install of an OS.

So I should get out my boot floppy and go from there with the Developer CD in the CDROM?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Porting New Software All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: