NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Non-ADB keyboard to PS2/USB? How?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Rare NeXT Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stevebez

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:51 pm    Post subject: Non-ADB keyboard to PS2/USB? How? Reply with quote

I recently made the mistake of touching my non-adb keyboard for more than a second, and now all other keyboards seem like garbage. Is there any way to connect this thing to a modern computer, so my typing fingers can be happy? If so, how?
bkmoore

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think there are any off-the-shelf solutions for hooking a non-ADB NeXT Keyboard to a USB port. You might be able to find an ADB-to-USB adaptor from the late '90s though and use an ADB NeXT Keyboard. Another possible solution is this keyboard: http://www.daskeyboard.com/. It is a modern keyboard made up of individual mechanical keys and has a similar look and feel to the original NeXT Keyboard. I've never tried one, so I cannot say how good it is though. If they offered one in a German Macintosh layout, I would have gotten one by now.

Brian
stevebez

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this -http://m0115.web.fc2.com/ in another thread, but I can't seem to find any more information about it. I'm half tempted to find an electronically dead Next keyboard, and a small USB keyboard, and hack the two together. Has anyone had a non-ADB keyboard open before? I'm wondering how much room is in there. I'm thinking an ADB keyboard is not going to give me what I want.
itomato

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ADB keyboards are a different animal. The switches are different, the plastic feels different, the layout is slightly different.

I just scored an ADB keyboard (thanks gtnicol) to use with this project:
http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title=Island:14290

Uses a Teensy and his custom firmware https://github.com/tmk/tmk_keyboard/tree/master/adb_usb

I just can't find an iMate, and I refuse to pay $129 for one on eBay. Rolling Eyes

I wish the NonADB converter on that site was for sale - looks so clean!
gtnicol

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could make a non-ADB->PS/2 converter pretty easily at this point. If there is some interest, I'll work one up... FWIW I like the old keyboards enough that I'd probably use one myself. I could probably do a non-ADB->USB too, using the higher-end PIC.

I have actually been working on the opposite: a PS/2 mouse+keyboard to the NeXT. I've been using a PIC16f88 but the timing constraints make programming it a real PITA... to the point that I actually wrote a compiler and a tiny VM for the PIC that emulates concurrent processes, just to make the programming easier.

Then I looked at the PIC18, PIC24, PIC32 (MIPS!), Propeller, and XMOS. For the kind of thing I want to do, the Propeller and XMOS are a lot more natural. I have the development kits for them, but haven't had enough time to really work on it.
nextchef

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gtnicol wrote:
I could make a non-ADB->PS/2 converter pretty easily at this point. If there is some interest, I'll work one up... FWIW I like the old keyboards enough that I'd probably use one myself. I could probably do a non-ADB->USB too, using the higher-end PIC.

Any estimate on what such adapters would cost, as I am intersted in both options.
nextchef

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

itomato wrote:
I just can't find an iMate, and I refuse to pay $129 for one on eBay.

FWIW, there is a guy on ebay selling NIB Griffin iMates for 25 USD, with shipping.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320864119142
gtnicol

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think an adapter would probably be in the $30 region, though that's just a ballpark estimate. I'm going to start working on the coding for the NeXT -> PS/2... in some ways it'll be a lot easier than going the other way because the device drives the clock on the PS/2.
flowerking

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alexander Kurz did a lot of keyboard converters. I have converter for Sun 5 to PS2, which works very well. He hasn't developed a NeXT converter, but maybe you can use some informations from his webpage: http://www.kbdbabel.org/
dai_vernon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would absolutely love a non ADB -> USB adapter. I emailed that guy expressing my interest. How complicated do you think it would be to make?
gtnicol

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS/2 is easier than USB, but either way, it's not too complex with a reasonable MCU… the smaller PIC processors are good enough for PS/2, but not for USB, but there are a bunch of more effective MCU's out there now anyway.

I picked up a teensy to play with… if we have both ADB and non-ADB on a single chip, it seems like it might be a win.
dai_vernon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'd imagine that you'd make a NeXT -> PS/2 connecter and then just use a standard PS/2 to USB dongle afterwards. There's no sense in reinventing the wheel and it's not like the keyboards would have usb ports to daisy chain anyway.
memson

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Late to the game, but Adafriut just published this guide on how to make exactly this for reasonably cheap:

http://learn.adafruit.com/usb-next-keyboard-with-arduino-micro/overview

This is for non-ADB too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Rare NeXT Hardware All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: