NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
I wonder what Steve Jobs thinks about Next...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gaspar

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:46 pm    Post subject: I wonder what Steve Jobs thinks about Next... Reply with quote

I'm sure he's really happy with how apple/ipod is doing lately also the Pixar+Disney thing but I wonder what he thinks about Next?

Do you think he owns at least a black system?
Does he know there is a community of people still using/believing in Next?

I wonder if one of these days he'll finally release much of the code (without propietary 3rd part sw)... and hardware schematics (please)...

Sometimes I wonder if he actually remembers his days at Next as a sweet time of his life or sour that he rather not think about...

-Gaspar
dravier

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a Steve Jobs fan, but I can't say I see him being very concerned about what companies (positive or negative) lay behind him. He seems like the kind of guy who pushes forward. People like us are nolstalgic and willing to make concessions in the realm of tech (hence still playing with 15 year old computers). I would love to think there's a soft spot for NeXT and communities such as this, but I wouldn't hold my breath that Mr Jobs is really looking our way.

Personally I like to imagine a NeXT cube and / or station sitting near an Apple I and a Lisa as his "changed the world" collection... but that's just me.

Turbo Color slab NS 3.3

"a little rebellion now and then is a good thing"
- Thomas Jefferson
RacerX

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He was still using a NeXT system for his Pixar e-mail as recently as late 2000.

:roll:

If that system was at his Pixar office though, it most likely didn't see much action (as he was almost never there).
dravier

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was he really using it for email... that's pretty cool. I'm still searching for some regular use for my NeXTStation. Wonder if it's still running?

Turbo Color slab NS 3.3

"a little rebellion now and then is a good thing"
- Thomas Jefferson
nextchef

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little late for this thread ... but here goes anyway.

I remember something in one of the computer documentaries that when Steve came back to apple, he had a NeXT machine sitting next to his desk. Apparently he used it for email, since he detested the existing Apple hardware introduced by his "replacements". Could be an urban legend, or just wishful thinking on my part, but I do seem to remember it fairly clearly.

Chef
ash

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve probably uses a Mac exclusively now, since OS X is generally an evolved NS. He drives the features in Mail, and the weird look and feel of it is because of him.
nextchef

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ash wrote:
Steve probably uses a Mac exclusively now, since OS X is generally an evolved NS. He drives the features in Mail, and the weird look and feel of it is because of him.

I would sure assume he uses OSX now exclusively, as he has had time to fashion it to his liking.

I was thinking some more about where I heard this, and I think it was also mentioned in the biography of Jobs that was released a few years ago. I do not have the book anymore, so I can not check to confirm it.

So what is so weird about the mail app? I use thunderbird for consistancy between mac-win-linux, so I do not use the mail app. My wife uses it on her mini, and she has not said anything about it being different or strange.

Chef
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: