NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Keyboard repair

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tomaz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:24 pm    Post subject: Keyboard repair Reply with quote

I recently bought some NeXT hardware from the U.S. Some of it got damaged while in transit. In particular, the keyboard got smashed to smithereens (well, 5 or 6 pieces broke off). I've never had success in gluing plastics of this type before ... but, this being, even if only a keyboard, a rare and rather special NeXT item, I don't just want to chuck it away either. I think there are few enough pieces and they are in places which are not load bearing so that, provided a strong enough glue could be found, it should be possible to restore the keyboard so as to at least approximate its original state.

Any suggestions for a glue that would work - or is this a hopeless quest?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Rob Blessin Black Hole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:37 am    Post subject: Re: Keyboard repair Reply with quote

tomaz wrote:
I recently bought some NeXT hardware from the U.S. Some of it got damaged while in transit. In particular, the keyboard got smashed to smithereens (well, 5 or 6 pieces broke off). I've never had success in gluing plastics of this type before ... but, this being, even if only a keyboard, a rare and rather special NeXT item, I don't just want to chuck it away either. I think there are few enough pieces and they are in places which are not load bearing so that, provided a strong enough glue could be found, it should be possible to restore the keyboard so as to at least approximate its original state.

Any suggestions for a glue that would work - or is this a hopeless quest?

Another common problem is because of age the plastic on nonadb keyboards is becoming brittle and breaking loose ; if you have a separated corner that is what has happened . Solution There are seven screws that hold the back in place with a rubber gasket sandwiching the keypad to the front assembly. The seven female posts located on the front half sometimes one will break off. I just successfully used a smidge of superglue on one and gorilla glue on another broken post to fix the problem. I found it easiest when reassembling to hold the keyboard top gasket and bottom together with a firm grip 90 degrees in one hand rather than flat when screwing it back together with other hand. It keeps the gasket in place, I have not tried key capes yet .
Tomaz please pm me. I have quite a few packages I need to forward to you! Best regards Rob Blessin
cray

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What might be working (since I had some good experiences with it) is epoxy two component glue. There are different strengths available and some are made even to fit together special kinds of polymer. Some even sustain some flexibility when hardend.

Oliver
pentium

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use shoe goo.
The bond is good enough for a keyboard and it's flexible enough not to break again with regular use of the key.

-NeXT 68040 Cube with NS 3.3 and 64Mb ram
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> NeXT Work Logs All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: